Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil sucking 3.8

Old 01-08-2013, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I say since they measure oil changes by 3000 miles you should spend a few hours in your driveway letting the jeep run every once in a while. That should help you burn that extra half a quart you need to get them to fix it. Be sure to run the 5w-20. Wouldn't want to slow the burn.

Last edited by Cobb_Sahara; 01-08-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueLespaul2006
I have an update and a question.

Update: On 9/13/11 I changed my oil with 10W-30 and replaced the PCV valve. After 350 miles I am not seeing any loss (may be too early to tell) but I have noticed something different. That leads me to my question

Question: I have noticed since the oil/ pcv change that I feel like I have more power, the Jeep wants to go faster, and is getting better gas mileage. If I had a stuck pcv valve could that have robbed some power and MPG? Or is my mind playing tricks on me?
I did the same thing and am getting almost 1mpg more and thought I felt more power too...curious...
Old 01-11-2013, 05:50 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by sgmrock
I did the same thing and am getting almost 1mpg more and thought I felt more power too...curious...
The Xw-30 oil tends to increase compression pressure, and decrease blow-by gasses. All blow-by goes through the PCV valve to the intake, and less blow-by will reduce oil consumption because there is some oil mist entrained in the blow-by gasses.

Increasing compression and reducing blow-by tends to increase efficiency and power. Also, less oil induction allows the timing to be advanced to a more normal amount (i.e. less knock retard) which also can increase power and economy, and reduce noticeable spark knock.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Default oil consumption

Was talking to one of my kids friends parent who happened to be a Chrysler Jeep mechanic. Mentioned my JK using oil. told him about a quart per 1000 miles or a little less. He said they see that as normal usage per their accepted specs. Go figure!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldn't complain as In Canada it's same treatment per 1000 km! Which is worse!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mr.T

The Xw-30 oil tends to increase compression pressure, and decrease blow-by gasses. All blow-by goes through the PCV valve to the intake, and less blow-by will reduce oil consumption because there is some oil mist entrained in the blow-by gasses.

Increasing compression and reducing blow-by tends to increase efficiency and power. Also, less oil induction allows the timing to be advanced to a more normal amount (i.e. less knock retard) which also can increase power and economy, and reduce noticeable spark knock.
Sooooo it's a win win win and win going xw-30
Old 01-12-2013, 05:21 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by webejeepin
Sooooo it's a win win win and win going xw-30
No guarantee, of course. Every engine has different clearances and surface finishes, which change over time. And drivers drive differently too. Some engines may loose economy on 5w-30 or 40, some may do slightly better. I don't doubt the CAFE MPG test results are better with 5w-20, but I do doubt the same economy increase always happens in the real world, with real manufacturing tolerances and variations in wear.

For reference, I've started testing 5w-40 for better protection at extremes (high temps and/or low RPM lugging), not for oil consumption issues. Fuel economy is unchanged, the engine is noticeably quieter, and the oil analysis shows normal/low wear particles.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cobb_Sahara

Finally called the dealer about my 2010 JKU oil sucker. I'll start the oil test as soon as I go in for an oil change. I gotta burn over 2 qts in 3000 miles for them to fix anything.
So far I went 600 miles, dealer checked the oil this morning and it was half a quart low. I'll go back in another 600 miles for them to check it gain.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow this is the first time ive seen this thread. ill have to check my oil now. this is my first non japanese vehicle in a long time. Ive been used to not worrying about engine problems.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tribulation138
wow this is the first time ive seen this thread. ill have to check my oil now. this is my first non japanese vehicle in a long time. Ive been used to not worrying about engine problems.
Hopefully you won't have a problem. There are a lot with this issue though. I would check the fluids every 1000 miles no matter if you have a problem or not. My .2 cents

Quick Reply: Oil sucking 3.8