Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Oil sucking 3.8

Old 09-09-2011, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Not necessarily a leaking gasket. Engines get oil residue all over them.

Take a rag with some solvent on it, and clean, then re-clean the area with the numbers.

It took me several tries to get a good view of my engine's numbers.
I hope I am looking at the correct set of numbers I saw a set of numbers about 8 numbers long. They seem to be engraved in the block.

The engine is still hot so i could not wipe much with out burning myself. I think your right it does not seem like a leak. I was able to wipe some off. The number is on the block part which is darker than the head right? The numbers seem small (if I am looking at the correct ones). Over the weekend once the engine cools down I will get my hand back there and clean it up and take another look.

Next week im changing the pcv valve and the oil to a thicker weight 10W-30. The dealer said that using 10W-30 is ok with them and will not void the warranty. (I did not tell them my name or give them my vin) just in case they wanted to flash something on the vin. I dealt with them in the past for my liberty and they are strait up guys. I an not naive though and am keeping my records what are inline with a warranty claim.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueLespaul2006
I hope I am looking at the correct set of numbers I saw a set of numbers about 8 numbers long. They seem to be engraved in the block.

The engine is still hot so i could not wipe much with out burning myself. I think your right it does not seem like a leak. I was able to wipe some off. The number is on the block part which is darker than the head right? The numbers seem small (if I am looking at the correct ones). Over the weekend once the engine cools down I will get my hand back there and clean it up and take another look.

Next week im changing the pcv valve and the oil to a thicker weight 10W-30. The dealer said that using 10W-30 is ok with them and will not void the warranty. (I did not tell them my name or give them my vin) just in case they wanted to flash something on the vin. I dealt with them in the past for my liberty and they are strait up guys. I an not naive though and am keeping my records what are inline with a warranty claim.
Post the number, or at least where the engine was built. And post what you see after the PCV and oil changes.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Post the number, or at least where the engine was built. And post what you see after the PCV and oil changes.
I am now confused. The second character is an L. The only things I can see back there are first on the silver head on a circular area it Is a raised 823A. Then directly below that where the block and head meet the block has an engraving or stamp of 8L568326.

I dont understand since it should be either an S or a T and i have an L. It matches the last 8 of my vin. I have found that the L means it was assembled in Toledo. So does that mean I have an american engine?

Am I doing something wrong? I must be looking in the wrong place

Last edited by BlueLespaul2006; 09-09-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:38 PM
JK Super Freak

I am now confused. The second character is an L. The only things I can see back there are first on the silver head on a circular area it Is a raised 823A. Then directly below that where the block and head meet the block has an engraving or stamp of 8L568326.

I dont understand since it should be either an S or a T and i have an L. It matches the last 8 of my vin. I have found that the L means it was assembled in Toledo. So does that mean I have an american engine?

Your story sounds like mine....all I can see is the last 8 VIN digits too!!. I have yet to take another stab at it, cleaning the area better to see if I can spot the motor code.
I'll report back in when I check again.

ALso, I staarted the offical oil consumption test with my dealer...they changed the oil AND PCV filter, I've since put on just over 1,200 KMS, and oil level seems to be holding. I will assume they filled the crank case with 5W20. We'll see and post results as we go.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

The number you posted is the VIN part of the engine number. There should be more engraved or stamped numbers before or near the numbers you saw.
Mine is to the left, and below the VIN.

Last edited by ronjenx; 09-10-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Default 3.8 Oil Consumption

I have a 2008 JK Wrangler with 55000 miles on it. I noticed a few months back that I was losing a considerable amount of oil or at least far more than I had ever lost on any previous vehicles I have had, many with far more miles on them. I was having some hinge rust issues taken care of at my dealership and also mentioned what I thought to be unusually high oil consumption. Within 10 minutes of me vehicle being checked in the service manager informed me that this was common for this engine and they would replace all of the piston rings. Having seen some of the previous posts I felt lucky I did not have to push the matter. They seemed pretty familiar with the issue.... we'll see! There were some less than complimentary comments regarding this engine!!!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by gmork
I have a 2008 JK Wrangler with 55000 miles on it. I noticed a few months back that I was losing a considerable amount of oil or at least far more than I had ever lost on any previous vehicles I have had, many with far more miles on them. I was having some hinge rust issues taken care of at my dealership and also mentioned what I thought to be unusually high oil consumption. Within 10 minutes of me vehicle being checked in the service manager informed me that this was common for this engine and they would replace all of the piston rings. Having seen some of the previous posts I felt lucky I did not have to push the matter. They seemed pretty familiar with the issue.... we'll see! There were some less than complimentary comments regarding this engine!!!!!
Consider yourself lucky! Get the repair done and let us know how it turns out. Mine is in the process of a consumption test. Good luck
Old 09-13-2011, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by gmork
They replaced your rings just like that ? No consumption test ? Wow you have a good dealer. My engine sounds like its grinding metal and the dealer and factory have been fighting for over a month on what to do about it. The dealer says it needs a rebuild and the factory is refusing to allow the warranty.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by iagainsti

They replaced your rings just like that ? No consumption test ? Wow you have a good dealer. My engine sounds like its grinding metal and the dealer and factory have been fighting for over a month on what to do about it. The dealer says it needs a rebuild and the factory is refusing to allow the warranty.
Thats bullshit! They build a crap motor and don't want to stand behind it. I have a feeling that with more of these cases popping up everyday that they will end up with a huge lawsuit if they don't start making it right. A properly built engine shouldn't consume much oil and ping like these things do. The 3.8 sucks imo
Old 09-13-2011, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Thats bullshit! They build a crap motor and don't want to stand behind it. I have a feeling that with more of these cases popping up everyday that they will end up with a huge lawsuit if they don't start making it right. A properly built engine shouldn't consume much oil and ping like these things do. The 3.8 sucks imo
Its a piece of crap for sure. I dont think the engine is at fault as much as the factory assembly or shoddy components being added. A factory rep actually drove my jeep a few days ago and said there is something seriously wrong with the engine. You can hear the valve train rattle doing power stops in the parking lot lol. He has submitted the paperwork to the factory to get the warranty covered but I have yet to hear a outcome of what they want to do. Replace the motor or rebuild it ? I dunno. Anyway its sad when the service manager at your dealer tells some guy in Detroit that they need to tear into the engine and they deny the warrenty because the owners manual has a exerpt that "lite" ping is normal. Sorry the noise from my engine is not "lite" and no where near normal. The mechanics think its piston knock but it sounds like bad valves to me...either way its not good.

Quick Reply: Oil sucking 3.8