Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Painting underbody rust

Old 11-06-2018, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting underbody rust

Hello,

What would be the best option to cover/stop underbody rust?

-Spray over the rust with rustoleum?
-Get a oil base spray done by a company?

Old 11-06-2018, 07:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

I believe Rednroll still uses this method, is in your area, and has good results -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...5/#post4301531

In the end, there is no way of getting around minor maintenance and touch ups if off road at all. Seems like other alternatives I see people talking about are POR 15, or just coating the heck out of the underside with Fluid Film at regular intervals.
The following 2 users liked this post by resharp001:
JoeRif (11-09-2018), NeoJeo (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I believe Rednroll still uses this method, is in your area, and has good results -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...5/#post4301531

In the end, there is no way of getting around minor maintenance and touch ups if off road at all. Seems like other alternatives I see people talking about are POR 15, or just coating the heck out of the underside with Fluid Film at regular intervals.
Fluid Film seems like a reasonable thing to do. Any idea why Fluid Film would be better then spray painting with a rustolum paint that can be sprayed over rust and helps stop it?
Old 11-06-2018, 09:59 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I have never had to deal with rust issues as it's just not a concern here in north Texas, but I'm always a little intrigued the extent people have to go to protect against rust in northern areas and the coast lines. I've never quite understood the coating with FF to be honest. I like FF as a penetrating lube for various things, but I've never been able to imagine people spraying or painting it on the whole underside of a vehicle from the standpoint it would seem you'd never be able to touch anything or do any maintenance without feeling like you took an oil bath. How does that work when a product doesn't dry? I do understand that is what is great about it, but I have a hard time imagining this process. The one thing I'd say is that I could see FF getting in to a lot of nooks and crannies that paint can't access. On the flip side, what I don't understand is that since it's penetrating, how are all bolts not working themselves loose??!! I shot that stuff on my axle side TB heim joint one time, and had issues with that bolt working itself loose 2-3 times from 125ft lbs torque before I finally red loctite'd that sucker.

Anyhow, I'm sure some folks that have to deal with rust will chime in. I'm curious to see if anyone says anything about Fluid Film. Rednroll seems to have a pretty decent track record with his method though.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I have never had to deal with rust issues as it's just not a concern here in north Texas, but I'm always a little intrigued the extent people have to go to protect against rust in northern areas and the coast lines. I've never quite understood the coating with FF to be honest. I like FF as a penetrating lube for various things, but I've never been able to imagine people spraying or painting it on the whole underside of a vehicle from the standpoint it would seem you'd never be able to touch anything or do any maintenance without feeling like you took an oil bath. How does that work when a product doesn't dry? I do understand that is what is great about it, but I have a hard time imagining this process. The one thing I'd say is that I could see FF getting in to a lot of nooks and crannies that paint can't access. On the flip side, what I don't understand is that since it's penetrating, how are all bolts not working themselves loose??!! I shot that stuff on my axle side TB heim joint one time, and had issues with that bolt working itself loose 2-3 times from 125ft lbs torque before I finally red loctite'd that sucker.

Anyhow, I'm sure some folks that have to deal with rust will chime in. I'm curious to see if anyone says anything about Fluid Film. Rednroll seems to have a pretty decent track record with his method though.
thanks for your personal experience. It makes sense it can loosen bolts. I looked up Rednroll but can’t fond anything. What is that? A product or company?

Also, why can I just spray the rust with rustolum that says spray on rust and it will stop it? What’s the difference?
Old 11-06-2018, 11:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

@Rednroll is the member from the post I linked earlier. He's there in Michigan as well, and is the one that suggests using that HF rust reformer followed by the spray on bedliner.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I have had good luck with the rust reformer. I clean the undercarriage well and use about 4 cans of it each fall on mine. I'll wire brush bad spots. Usually in the corner welds. I never understood using things like POR 15 on something that gets wheeled. It's going to get scraped off. So any strategy that didn't include regular reapplication seemed like a lie to me. $6 a can. $25 a year and it is working well going into my 6th Ohio winter. I have some buddies that use FF. I too am sceptical about putting it on moving or bolted parts or having wax residue to deal with. I may try it on the frame. But only the frame.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by casamtb
I have had good luck with the rust reformer. I clean the undercarriage well and use about 4 cans of it each fall on mine. I'll wire brush bad spots. Usually in the corner welds. I never understood using things like POR 15 on something that gets wheeled. It's going to get scraped off. So any strategy that didn't include regular reapplication seemed like a lie to me. $6 a can. $25 a year and it is working well going into my 6th Ohio winter. I have some buddies that use FF. I too am sceptical about putting it on moving or bolted parts or having wax residue to deal with. I may try it on the frame. But only the frame.
cool, I’ll give rust reformer a try!

Thanks again
Old 11-08-2018, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

I need to post a write-up. I've posted my method many times to other similar posts but never a dedicated discussion thread. That way I can just post a link. I tried to shoot a video this past spring of my process but my phone kept stopping record because I accidently bumped it.
The following users liked this post:
JoeRif (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I need to post a write-up. I've posted my method many times to other similar posts but never a dedicated discussion thread. That way I can just post a link. I tried to shoot a video this past spring of my process but my phone kept stopping record because I accidently bumped it.
Any info would be great. I have visual rust under my jeep. I would just scrape it off the best I can and then use RR?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Painting underbody rust