Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Radiator Fan

Old 07-26-2019, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok... I have a question for the experts but still connected to this thread. This one is more advice needed than truly a question. Overall, I’ve replaced the electric fan, radiator cap, water pump, thermostat, and radiator. (In hindsight, I don’t think I was ever convinced that I was truly fixing the cause of the problem...and as it turns out I was right). After replacing all of these perfectly good parts, I was still loosing coolant and could not find the source. I suspected head gasket or intake were the problems but couldn’t confirm with my skill set. I ended up taking to a very trusted local shop since either of these issues would push me beyond my comfort zone for repair. They just confirmed that it was indeed a head gasket...so that brings us up to where I’m asking for advice. The repair was quoted at $3,200 but they asked if I wanted to replace the timing components while they were in there already...add another $830 bringing the total to just over $4000 all in. I KNOW it probably is a good idea but is there a huge risk if I don’t? I’m leaning towards not doing the timing components just to save the money.. Jeep is 2012 with 128,000 miles and I’m likely trading up to a rubicon at some point...I’d like to think it’ll happen soon but that is probably a year away at best and if I’m being honest probably closer to two due to other obligations. Any input / insight would be appreciated.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:52 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Woody208
Ok... I have a question for the experts but still connected to this thread. This one is more advice needed than truly a question. Overall, I’ve replaced the electric fan, radiator cap, water pump, thermostat, and radiator. (In hindsight, I don’t think I was ever convinced that I was truly fixing the cause of the problem...and as it turns out I was right). After replacing all of these perfectly good parts, I was still loosing coolant and could not find the source. I suspected head gasket or intake were the problems but couldn’t confirm with my skill set. I ended up taking to a very trusted local shop since either of these issues would push me beyond my comfort zone for repair. They just confirmed that it was indeed a head gasket...so that brings us up to where I’m asking for advice. The repair was quoted at $3,200 but they asked if I wanted to replace the timing components while they were in there already...add another $830 bringing the total to just over $4000 all in. I KNOW it probably is a good idea but is there a huge risk if I don’t? I’m leaning towards not doing the timing components just to save the money.. Jeep is 2012 with 128,000 miles and I’m likely trading up to a rubicon at some point...I’d like to think it’ll happen soon but that is probably a year away at best and if I’m being honest probably closer to two due to other obligations. Any input / insight would be appreciated.
I don't know much about the pentastar, but to me it sounds like the components could be inspected during disassembly -- then make a decision.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
I don't know much about the pentastar, but to me it sounds like the components could be inspected during disassembly -- then make a decision.
Are there ways to check or is it just visual check?
Old 07-26-2019, 07:57 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Woody208
Are there ways to check or is it just visual check?
Don't know, not familiar enough with that engine. Perhaps a second opinion from another shop would be a good idea?
Old 07-27-2019, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

For $4000 can't you get into the AutoZone rebuilt motors? If you're going to put out that kind of money and you know you'll be trading it in then I'd be looking more at budget friendly options like a cheap, used motor with a warranty.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
For $4000 can't you get into the AutoZone rebuilt motors? If you're going to put out that kind of money and you know you'll be trading it in then I'd be looking more at budget friendly options like a cheap, used motor with a warranty.
That’s definitely an option I hadn’t thought of or considered. Gonna do some digging now though...thanks for the idea.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Call 4x4 shops or shops that do hemi swaps, see if they have 1 laying around to sell. What about a junk yard fan
Old 07-31-2019, 12:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by woody208
ok... I have a question for the experts but still connected to this thread. This one is more advice needed than truly a question. Overall, i’ve replaced the electric fan, radiator cap, water pump, thermostat, and radiator. (in hindsight, i don’t think i was ever convinced that i was truly fixing the cause of the problem...and as it turns out i was right). After replacing all of these perfectly good parts, i was still loosing coolant and could not find the source. I suspected head gasket or intake were the problems but couldn’t confirm with my skill set. I ended up taking to a very trusted local shop since either of these issues would push me beyond my comfort zone for repair. They just confirmed that it was indeed a head gasket...so that brings us up to where i’m asking for advice. The repair was quoted at $3,200 but they asked if i wanted to replace the timing components while they were in there already...add another $830 bringing the total to just over $4000 all in. I know it probably is a good idea but is there a huge risk if i don’t? I’m leaning towards not doing the timing components just to save the money.. Jeep is 2012 with 128,000 miles and i’m likely trading up to a rubicon at some point...i’d like to think it’ll happen soon but that is probably a year away at best and if i’m being honest probably closer to two due to other obligations. Any input / insight would be appreciated.
get a low mileage junkyard engine and get it running, then trade it in on a rubicon. Hell, if you're trading it in just put some head gasket in a bottle in there, get it to seal and trade it in, save your money for a down payment.

Quick Reply: Radiator Fan