Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Rattling noise in the back.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rattling noise in the back.

Mu daughter loves the new Jeep and wanted to go for a drive at 1 AM this morning. We took the Freedom Top off and put in in the back of my Magnum. We heard a rattling sound from the back every time we hit a bump on the back road we were driving on. All I had back there was clothes, towels, soft things that wouldn't make any noise. Got me baffled.
Old 07-01-2007, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

On mine it's the header latches that I hear. Bugged me the first couple of times till I figured it out now I don't even notice it. Hope that helps ya out.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

It doesn't seem to do it with the top installed.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did you tumble your rear seat forward when you were taking the top off? If so, make sure it's fully latched back in place. Had rattling in the back once and turned out that was the reason.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:00 PM
JK Freak

I heard it too with the soft top on, i thought it was the door surrounds where they meet the body, but had them off all weekend and still heard it. I opened and closed the rear door, 4 door not the gate. with the door closed i can still push it closed past the body line, if i grab the door and pull in and out it makes the noise i was hearing. It probably doesn't make the noise with the hard top on because the top/side of the door is agaist the top not allowing it to move in any further.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adjust the latches

I had to adjust the rear latch and the driver side door latch in order the stop the rattle at both places. I couldn't figure out for the life of me what the rear rattle was from untill one day, I also grabbed the handle, pulled and it made a slight clunk. Use the torx bit and loosen them just enough to move. This is the metal loop on the body panel not the door latch itself. You want to get the doors aligned with the body panels, when closed, and easy to open and close. Not to hard to do....
Oh yeah, no rattles now....

Marc

2dr Black Sahara

Last edited by mwilkie; 07-04-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07rube
Mu daughter loves the new Jeep and wanted to go for a drive at 1 AM this morning. We took the Freedom Top off and put in in the back of my Magnum. We heard a rattling sound from the back every time we hit a bump on the back road we were driving on. All I had back there was clothes, towels, soft things that wouldn't make any noise. Got me baffled.
Did you have a hitch in your receiver? They'll rattle when you hit bumps sometimes...

Trending Topics

Old 07-02-2007, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

when i heard a rattle in the back it was when my soft top was on all i had to do was slide the plastic pieces that holds the rear window bar to the back of the body. probably not the case in your situation but i thought id throw it out there. goodluck trouble shooting.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:40 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the jack and the useless little handle secured properly? (Mine rattled when i got it)
Old 07-02-2007, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

My jack was loose as well.......

Quick Reply: Rattling noise in the back.