Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Diff "fell apart"

Old 08-02-2010, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Rear Diff "fell apart"

I took Betsy (2007 Sahara Unlimited) into the dealer this morning to catch up on two recalls I had gotten in the mail.
While there, I asked them to look at the tires, as I am getting a "wa-wa-wa" noise as low speeds. I assumed they were slightly out of balance.

The service rep called and said upon inspection of the rear differential, it has "fallen apart". Of course they are quoting a rediculous number, so I called the shop I normally use, and he has a Jasper rear end.

Is that a good part/brand name?

Any advise?
Old 08-02-2010, 06:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does he mean by "fell apart"?

What parts does he want to replace?

Especially for a job as big as this, any shop should provide you with a written estimate if asked.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:12 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X2... Get a second opinion, they're apparently stupid or think you are.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Question

Originally Posted by Alec
What does he mean by "fell apart"?

What parts does he want to replace?

Especially for a job as big as this, any shop should provide you with a written estimate if asked.
The service rep at the dealer is clueless. But she is saying the rebuild would only require two parts, for $2200. She's quoting a new Dana 44 for around $3100 installed.

I haven't been back to the shop yet to see the written quotes, but those prices are ridiclous. I'm thinking if it's going to take a few days to get repaired, I might as well take my time and do it right!

I've put 33in tires on my stock wheels, so I'm wondering if the added weight needs something special...
Old 08-02-2010, 06:40 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your 33's prolly don't weigh much more than stock rubi tires You don't even know what's broke yet . I'd talk to the tech who inspected it, then get it the he'll away from them.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd bet its just your tires and NOT your rear end! They are just trying to take your money and that makes me angry. I use to drag race and know what a diff that has "fallen apart" sounds like. Definitely say thanks and get your jeep away from them asap.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have asked them to show me the problem. If it's "fallen apart" then even the layman would be able to see it.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many miles are on it? I just ask because my old ZJ that I wheeled a lot harder than my current JK used to have wheel bearings go bad about every 70K miles. It used to sound a lot like the "wa-wa-wa" sound you describe and it had the same Dana 44s in the rear end.

If the differential "fell apart" it would be making a loud buzzing/whining noise. I know this because I had a differential fail one day after wheeling in really deep water I drove too far without changing the diff fluid. After about 100 miles any time there would be load on the gears (pushing the gas) it would whine like crazy. This was the very first thing I learned about wheeling in water: change all fluids after wheeling in water

Edit: Even to have the dealer replace a wheel bearing it shouldn't cost much more than a few hundred dollars, nowhere near $2200, even if you needed both rear wheel bearings replaced!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:19 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Use this as an excuse to re-gear.

Auto + 33's =
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...276#post211276
Old 08-02-2010, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Update

Here's the latest...

Grabbed the Jeep back from the dealer, and waiting on a quote from my regular shop. It had not "fallen apart", but does seem to be the culprit to my noise...

Just broke 70k on the odometer (lots of highway miles!)

I've reviewed the chart, and think I'm good with an exact rebuild (Dana 44, 4.88)...

What will I regret not doing? Any suggestions...

Last edited by Sgt P; 08-02-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Diff "fell apart"