Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Removed/Replaced Front Axle, steering wheel crooked?

Old 11-17-2010, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed/Replaced Front Axle, steering wheel crooked?

What did I do wrong? I removed my front axle to install sleeves & weld on gussets. Put it back together & now my esp bas light stays on due to steering wheel being off center.
Any ideas before I adjust steering rod.

Thanks
Old 11-17-2010, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

How far off are we talking?

I bent my draglink (I guess that's what it is - it's not the tie rod) a month or so ago and my steering wheel was off appx. 45* and I had ESP kicking on all night. Apparently the wheel being off just 8* will make the ESP act up, since the sensors read from/into the steering wheel itself as a 'baseline' I guess you could call it.

I loosened up the adjustment nuts on the draglink bar (the bar that runs from upper driver's side DOWN to the passenger side knuckle) and also loosened up the adjuster JUST a bit, maybe 1/16" since I bent it. This in turn made it a little longer, and I was able to dial it in to get the steering wheel JUST about perfectly straight again.

Could be all you need! Let me know...

EDIT: Sorry, as far as 'before adjusting' I'm not sure, I'm not that technical - lol. But it's such a small incriment that could throw it off, it may not be any of your fault. Who knows, it could have just lined up a hair or two off of what is was. Just like anything I've ever seen, haha!

Last edited by JKStell; 11-17-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKStell
How far off are we talking?

I bent my draglink (I guess that's what it is - it's not the tie rod) a month or so ago and my steering wheel was off appx. 45* and I had ESP kicking on all night. Apparently the wheel being off just 8* will make the ESP act up, since the sensors read from/into the steering wheel itself as a 'baseline' I guess you could call it.

I loosened up the adjustment nuts on the draglink bar (the bar that runs from upper driver's side DOWN to the passenger side knuckle) and also loosened up the adjuster JUST a bit, maybe 1/16" since I bent it. This in turn made it a little longer, and I was able to dial it in to get the steering wheel JUST about perfectly straight again.

Could be all you need! Let me know...

EDIT: Sorry, as far as 'before adjusting' I'm not sure, I'm not that technical - lol. But it's such a small incriment that could throw it off, it may not be any of your fault. Who knows, it could have just lined up a hair or two off of what is was. Just like anything I've ever seen, haha!
Thanks for your reply. If you look at the JEEP on the steering wheel while you're driving, the J is a good inch higher than the P. I kinda hate to loosen the drag link before I know what I screwed up. Light never came on B4 I took axle out.

I guess I'm going to have to.
Thanks again.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

No problem...sleep on this though, if you could. Maybe someone will come on here with a little more technical advice that I can personally offer. Then if worse comes to worse, you adjust the draglink.

I've heard of people bending that draglink and/or the tie rod wheeling, more than once, and all they do is just adjust it until everything is straight, sometimes on MULTIPLE occasions, and they repeat the 'repair' until the rods can't be adjusted anymore, lol. THEN they upgrade to the HD stuff. That's the route I will be following!

Nice rig, by the way. I saw your budget mods, and I've gotta say they look great IMO. I've also got a '07 2dr. Red Rock I can't stay away from red...DEEP red! Keep up the good work man...I need a welder, but not 'a guy'. A machine!!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

No problem...sleep on this though, if you could. Maybe someone will come on here with a little more technical advice that I can personally offer. Then if worse comes to worse, you adjust the draglink.

I've heard of people bending that draglink and/or the tie rod wheeling, more than once, and all they do is just adjust it until everything is straight, sometimes on MULTIPLE occasions, and they repeat the 'repair' until the rods can't be adjusted anymore, lol. THEN they upgrade to the HD stuff. That's the route I will be following!

Nice rig, by the way. I saw your budget mods, and I've gotta say they look great IMO. I've also got a '07 2dr. Red Rock I can't stay away from red...DEEP red! Keep up the good work man...I need a welder, but not 'a guy'. A machine!!!!
Thanks for the good advice & the kind words. I'll check out you jeep pics in your profile.
L8R, bruce
Old 11-17-2010, 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07XMan2Door
Thanks for the good advice & the kind words. I'll check out you jeep pics in your profile.
L8R, bruce
Too bad I've got to upload them, lol. I'll get around to that for the weekend! And you're welcome
Old 11-17-2010, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

um...

my abs and esp lights came on today simply because i installed a ss. long story short, i dropped my fox ss PSI (which you dont have to do) and my wheel was off a good few inches like you mentioned.

I loosened the nuts up on the drag link and had the lady friend in the jeep and I turned the knuckle till she screamed to me that the wheel was straight. tightened up the bolts. made sure she (the jeep) tracked and drove straight on the highway. my abs and esp lights were still on...

i went into the superchips, recorded the code it threw, cleared the dts settings (in superchips), and the abs and esp light hasn't returned after a good 50 miles.

Trending Topics

Old 11-17-2010, 09:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
um...

my abs and esp lights came on today simply because i installed a ss. long story short, i dropped my fox ss PSI (which you dont have to do) and my wheel was off a good few inches like you mentioned.

I loosened the nuts up on the drag link and had the lady friend in the jeep and I turned the knuckle till she screamed to me that the wheel was straight. tightened up the bolts. made sure she (the jeep) tracked and drove straight on the highway. my abs and esp lights were still on...

i went into the superchips, recorded the code it threw, cleared the dts settings (in superchips), and the abs and esp light hasn't returned after a good 50 miles.
I don''t have the superchip but I'll try to do what you did & then unhook my battery for a bit & see if it fixes it. Thanks so much.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bruce how did you make out...been a few days, hope you're back driving again!

I forgot I have some good shots on facebook of my JK. Here's a few for you, which are pretty darn current...only taken within the last 3 months or so:

Right before I trimmed the fenders...like 2 weeks:

A little action, lol:

With fenders trimmed:

I have a few little things done since I've taken these pics, and I have River Raider crusher corners on order as of yesterday. So, bottom line...I need to make an album LOL.

Just figured I'd check in...hope all is well man!

EDIT: Now I know how to upload video from my Droid (phone) to YouTube, lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_5EiEZCjCo

Last edited by JKStell; 11-20-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bruce how did you make out...been a few days, hope you're back driving again!

I forgot I have some good shots on facebook of my JK. Here's a few for you, which are pretty darn current...only taken within the last 3 months or so:

Right before I trimmed the fenders...like 2 weeks:

]
Nice pics Bro!! Thanks for sharing. Love the shovel & ax on the gate. Nice vidoe too.
Well, I did what you guys told me to do. Adjusted the drag link & unhooked battery.
The thing is back to normal now.
Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Removed/Replaced Front Axle, steering wheel crooked?