Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sahara Fender Flare Replacement Advice

Old 07-06-2017, 07:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sahara Fender Flare Replacement Advice

All,

I damaged my Sahara fender flare (front right). It's in pretty bad shape following a jumper cable melting against it and essentially melted a hole through it (see attached pic; and, yes, they were cheap cables and I feel pretty stupid about it). Of course I have painted flares, and I have been unable to find a website that can custom paint an OEM replacement for me (Sarge Green - PGG). Honestly, I've thought about taking the opportunity to just go and replace them all with something else, but I really like the look of the matching paint on the flares to the body of the Jeep.

I did a search through the forums on this topic, but the closest I could come was some comments made back in 2011 basically saying that the only way is to order and have a shop custom paint it. I'm hoping perhaps there is some updated advice or easier way of ordering a fender flare already painted without having to go through the whole body shop hassle. I'm open to stock flares or advice on third-party flares that can be ordered painted to match (although I realize that would diverge from the main OEM focus of this forum; maybe just PM me if you think that is the way to go so I don't become "that newbie").

I am brand new to the board although I've been stalking the advice around here since I started looking at buying a Wrangler a few years back. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170703_1828500.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	673027  
Old 07-06-2017, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You can order a smooth flare and have your body shop take care of it for you. If you're really looking for OEM paint match then maybe call up places like AEV or RubiTrux and see if they've got ones from vehicles they've installed. DaDaveysjeeps is another site and I hate to recommend them because it seems like the customer is an inconvenience but they may have what you're looking for as well.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:05 AM
JK Freak

Default Painted flare

Try looking on e-bay under pre painted Wrangler flares.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There are several option from metal flares like Genright or Crawler Conceptz (both JK-F sponsors). Next option is a plastic or ABS flares like Bushwhacker or MCE. Another option is to trim your factory flares. Lastly as some have mentioned Ebay or Craigslist for factory.

R/
Will
Old 07-07-2017, 05:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Look at the Genright aluminum flares. They go on easy and look great raw. I just installed a set on a 4 door and they were pretty easy to install.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default Fender Flare Came In

Thanks for everyone's advice; my painted fender flare arrived this evening. Did some quick research on the board and wasn't able to find out how many clips I need to get this thing attached. I understand that a number of them will likely break when I remove the damaged fender. Does anyone have a count by type?

Also - should I just grab cheap ones that you can find online, or is it worth shelling out the extra few dollars for the MOPAR version?

Thanks again for all your advice.
-Matt
Old 07-18-2017, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Mopar Fender Flare

I buy clips through Amazon, no issues.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fill the hole with epoxy, a tiny bit of spot glazing, sand, buy a spray touch up, blend it in and be done. Won't be perfect but painted fenders will get scratcehd again so who cares.

Quick Reply: Sahara Fender Flare Replacement Advice