Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Severe pulling when braking hard?

Old 05-29-2008, 05:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe pulling when braking hard?

OK, so I have had the Jeep for 9 months and never had to brake hard but driving to work had some asshole cut me off and slam on his brakes. So I slammed on mine.....WOW....wasn't expecting the ride it took me on. Hard as hell to control and would not stay straight, almost yanked the wheel out of my hand turning so sharp to the left.

So I change my shorts and then start to play a little speeding up and slamming on the brakes.....every time it pulls to the left or the right very, very hard. I am confused as to what could be causing this....any ideas ?
Old 05-29-2008, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

If there is an alignment issue or problem with the brakes on one side, the pull should always be in one direction.

If it is sometimes to the left and sometimes to the right, it might just be road conditions (many roads are purposefully made unlevel to drain rain water.

For safety sake, I'd probably get my brakes checked and get a professional alignment, especially if you have not done this since lifting it.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:42 AM
JK Junkie

Have not had it alligned because it drives straight as an arrow. Maybe I should, I just never thought it was a problem. As for the brakes they seem to work fine stopping regularly, still stops straight even if my hands are not on the wheel.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you get on your brakes and stay on them or did you PUMP the pedal? Remember you have anti-lock brakes and for them to work properly you cannot pump the pedal- this negates the function. You sound like you might have a software issue- the anti-lock brake control and the steering are not in synch... Take it in- sounds unsafe...if your front wheels were toed out( which causes side to side wander) your tires would be wearing on their inside edges. It doesn't sound at all like an alignment problem to me. Be CAREFUL Chief....

Last edited by TINMAN080; 05-29-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:52 PM
JK Junkie

Well, had the alignment checked and all was good. The mechanic test drove it and he says he thinks it is a problem with the computor too.....guess I am off to the dealer.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:05 PM
JK Super Freak

I've noticed pull when braking on mine also, but not so much that I felt in danger of crashing. And not always the same direction.
It seems to me that if there is even a slight crown to the road it can cause that.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

I've noticed this also!! Scared the shit out of me!! But now I expect it and brace the wheel. Here we go......"ITS A JEEP THING"....
Old 05-29-2008, 03:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RubyDoo pulls slightly to the right when hard breaking.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

guess i lucked out... the few panic stops i've done, the thing goes straight as an arrow stopping. doesn't try jerking at all. the ESP goes nuts tho...
Old 05-29-2008, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ran into this early in the game, right before my 1K checkup. I was driving down the highway and had to hit the brakes suddenly and it felt like the left rear of the jeep was trying to leap over the front right. I was also getting a terrible knocking from under the front of the vehicle. I mentioned it to the maintenance folks and they told me I had faulty sway bar bushings. They special ordered them and once they were replaced, the knocking went away. About a week later came another emergency brake, this time MUCH harder. The Jeep stayed straight as an arrow. Hell it almost felt like it spread its tires out it stopped so well. I haven't had any issues since. Something to consider.

Quick Reply: Severe pulling when braking hard?