Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft top clicking noise passengers side

Old 01-23-2014, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soft top clicking noise passengers side

I am pretty new member of the forum, I did a search for soft top noise but did not see anything. I posted this over on JKFreaks and got no reply at all. I hope I get a better response here.

2013 soft top on the passenger side makes a clicking noise when I go over a bump or it's really windy on the freeway. I have checked to ensure it is latched properly, the bar is lined up in the slot correctly and the fabric that is stuck to some parts are there. There appears to be a little more vertical movement of the passengers side then the drivers but that could be my imagination. I even had the wife drive it and looked to see where it was coming from and I would swear it is the joint where the soft top folds back for the sun rider option...right by the b-pillar latch.

I have checked the door surrounds are tight and everything else I could think of. It all looks exactly the same as the drivers side.

90% of the time I just live with it but some days it really drives me crazy. Am I nuts, is this just a jeep noise and I live with it or is there actually an issue that can be fixed.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm assuming you have an unlimited because I have the exact same problem. Mine appears to be one of the short soft top frame bars over the passenger seat. It is a short bar that is riveted to the main frame. Haven't found a solution yet, just living with it at this point. ( actually, I kinda forgot about it, because I'm currently running my hard top). I'll play with it a little more once it warms up, to see if I can find an easy solution. I'll subscribe and share, if I figure out a solution.
Sorry, I'm not much help on this at the moment. But you are not alone with this issue.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yep...it is an unlimited. I have played around with it, I just can't figure it out.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:04 PM
JK Freak

I had a similar issue while on a road trip. Kept hearing a clicking noise over my driver side at the soft top near the B-pillar that was driving me nuts. I think it has to do with where the sunrider part clicks into the top of the Jeep right near the b-pillar. I say that because I took some electrical tape and wrapped it around the little hook that's part of the Jeep and it fixed the noise. I don't get a clicking noise anymore. Here is a pic...

You can see where I wrapped tape around the hook. Didn't take much, but I don't have the clicking anymore.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Man, all this time I thought it was just me. Will test out the electrical tape trick. Thanks Smittycm.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2014, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I will be trying it in the morning...will report back how it turns out.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

So far seems promising. I put tape on both the passenger and drivers side latch ends and took it over a few speed bumps and didn't hear anything at all. Will update again once I get it out on the freeway.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2dr and whenever I take a sharp turn, or hit a bump, I hear a popping sound above the drivers side. Sort of like a pop/click kind of like the sound of a snapple bottle opening. Anyone else have any similar problem??
Old 01-24-2014, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 2011 JKU has the same clicking. Good to know I'm not the only one. I'll try the electrical tape. Glad I saw this thread.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Skotler75
I have a 2dr and whenever I take a sharp turn, or hit a bump, I hear a popping sound above the drivers side. Sort of like a pop/click kind of like the sound of a snapple bottle opening. Anyone else have any similar problem??
Possibly the door latch striker.

People wrap a turn or two of tape on the outermost edge.

Or mark the current location with a sharpie and tweak the striker alignment.

Maybe start with the tape to rule out other causes.

Quick Reply: Soft top clicking noise passengers side