Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Squeak.....squeak....squeak sound

Old 01-16-2011, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak.....squeak....squeak sound

So, what I previously though may be some kinda brake noise has just been noticed to mot only make it's self present with light brake pressure but also while driving. Sounds a bit like suspension or something else like that. I have no odd wobble or drifting from side to side. Another problem is all of my tools are back in IL and this is my first Jeep so 1)I have no idea what I am doing mechanically and 2)As mentioned all tools are back in IL. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I could probably rent a stall at the auto shop here on base this weekend but would like to kinda have an idea as to what will/need replacing.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most likely the rear brake pads, have you inspected them? As the pad wears, the squeak becomes more evident. Does it increase and decrease with speed?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I haven't looked at the pads yet. It does increase a bit with speed, but by about 3rd gear I don't really hear it. I is VERY evident 1st - 2nd. It even squeaks as I drive w/no pressing on the brake.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not a chirping noise like sneakers on a basketball court is it? The tranny mounts make this noise on many JKs.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I suppose it could be chirping....just a sound like a squeak/chirp....don't know how else to describe it.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:44 AM
JK Newbie

Any dents in your gas tank skid? Mine squeeks sometimes. It is the plastic tank rubbing against the floor. Need to remove the skid and hammer out the dent.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:08 AM
JK Newbie

Default Brake Pad Clips?

Look at your rear brakes to see if all of those little metal brake pad clips are all there. I've had to replace my clips twice already. The ends fatigue over time and break off allowing clips to fall out. I had four of them missing the last time I had a squeak problem. If you do have to replace them, just go to your local parts store and ask for a brake hardware kit. It's an annoying problem but, at least the clips are fairly cheap. You should be able to see them with just a flashlight. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 01-17-2011, 03:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

hmm... I have a similar problem.

When driving in town, 1st & 2nd I hear a rhythmic squeak/chirp which sounded a lot like the squeaking I had when the heatshield over my exhaust started squeaking. I've been trying to ignore it.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

My friend has a 08 sahara and his rear axle flange on the drivers side axle is bent it makes the brake pad contact the rotor every revolution, at first he thought it was pads but after changing them out twice we jacked it up and put it in gear and watched the wheel wobble just enough to make the pads contact the rotor. It's a fairly common problem with the weaker axles in the none rubicon models what size tires are you running? How much wheeling do you do? And how many miles are on you jeep?
Old 01-17-2011, 06:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crazyloggy
My friend has a 08 sahara and his rear axle flange on the drivers side axle is bent it makes the brake pad contact the rotor every revolution, at first he thought it was pads but after changing them out twice we jacked it up and put it in gear and watched the wheel wobble just enough to make the pads contact the rotor. It's a fairly common problem with the weaker axles in the none rubicon models what size tires are you running? How much wheeling do you do? And how many miles are on you jeep?
X2 check the axle flange. That was my problem and I had the same symptoms

Quick Reply: Squeak.....squeak....squeak sound