Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Squeak.....squeak....squeak sound

Old 01-17-2011, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have around 37,000 mi on the Jeep, running stock everything(tires,suspension, etc.), I do no wheeling(yet). I'll ignore it for this week till the weekend when I should be able to rent a stall on base at the auto shop. Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out then. This damn squeaking is driving me nuts!!! lol.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How's your DS?
I had the same type of issue recently which I first noticed after replacing the rear pads so I would have bet my paycheck it was one of the many things the others on this thread had mentioned. Took off the wheels, removed calipers, checked clips every thing looked good so reinstalled and still got the annoying squelching sound.

Had a couple of people (DesertJeep, WOL) listen as I drove slowly by to see if the could pin point the location for me. Both stated it sounded like the DS. So I took the rear DS off and found some binding. Cleaned as best I could and tried to lube but it didn't fix anything so I took it in the our local Drivetrain shop and they diagnosed it as having a worn centering ball and bad u-joint. After repairs and a balance thrown in all the noise is gone. Just my but you might want to check that out as a possibility.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sm_rubi
How's your DS?
I had the same type of issue recently which I first noticed after replacing the rear pads so I would have bet my paycheck it was one of the many things the others on this thread had mentioned. Took off the wheels, removed calipers, checked clips every thing looked good so reinstalled and still got the annoying squelching sound.

Had a couple of people (DesertJeep, WOL) listen as I drove slowly by to see if the could pin point the location for me. Both stated it sounded like the DS. So I took the rear DS off and found some binding. Cleaned as best I could and tried to lube but it didn't fix anything so I took it in the our local Drivetrain shop and they diagnosed it as having a worn centering ball and bad u-joint. After repairs and a balance thrown in all the noise is gone. Just my but you might want to check that out as a possibility.
How much did all that run you? $$$$
Old 01-17-2011, 09:12 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FowlerJE
How much did all that run you? $$$$
Under $200 I know the balancing was $60, u-joint $75 so the balance was the centering ball and labor. Sucks.
The lesson I learned is that since a zerk fitting doesn't exist to lube it real well I'm going to need a press to service them myself in the future to help the u-joints (which should last 100K but I got the typical "your lifted putting stress on it blah blah blah BS") last longer and not destroy things...
Old 01-18-2011, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

Experienced the exact squeaking described by OP after buying my JK. I figured changing the rear brake pads might do the trick, so i went out and bought some. As I was replacing the last one, I noticed that the bottom clip that keeps the pad in place was missing.....Had to travel 15 mi b/c none of the local shops had 'brake hardware kits' in stock, but it was the culprit for sure.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:36 PM
JK Freak

I might be way off here, but the first thing I would do is make sure that the chassis, drivetrain, and suspension components are lubricated. If they're not probably greased, they'll squeak on every bump.

Micah
Old 01-18-2011, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default To Fowler JE

Is it an 08 manual tranny?

there was a recall on manuals from 08 for the clutch. Mine would make a triple squeek sound at low speeds while shifting.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by barnettd
Is it an 08 manual tranny?

there was a recall on manuals from 08 for the clutch. Mine would make a triple squeek sound at low speeds while shifting.
Yes, it is an 08.....suppose I should look up the TSB on this one.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:20 AM
JK Freak

Default Squeak

My jeep squeaks like a ferret in heat... only seems to be bad when at low speeds going over little bumps. I wheel pretty regular, in mud in louisiana... so my rig takes some abuse.

The alignment shop guy said it was my control arm bushings squeaking, and not really a big deal. I try to spray them with some silicone spray regularly, but it doesn't really help, so I just turn-up the stereo. I guess eventually I will replace them.

Quick Reply: Squeak.....squeak....squeak sound