Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Store soft top under hard top

Old 07-27-2009, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

The manual says not to store the soft top under the hard top. It even states that the soft top was temporary stored under the hard top for shipping only, and to never do that again.
Why? If I remove the soft top completely by removing the bows, I'm going to store it folded. Why does Jeep give us this warning? I can't make sense of it.
Has anyone stored the soft top under the hard top over the winter, and then starting using the soft top in spring? Were there any problems?

Does anyone store the soft top under the hard top during winter? I want to do this, despite the manual, but I wonder what kind of damage the manual is suggesting would happen if I left the soft top under the hard top.

(Sorry, this posted twice...tech difficulty I guess)

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 07-28-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Good question. Trying to picture this with the 2dr and the 4dr model, I don't see why this can't work -- the soft top uses the roll bars, the hard top uses the railing.

My answer is this. Although it will require a little work, I say try this and experiment to see how it fits together -- you're talking about the soft top folded right? Because with the soft top on, either model, the hardtop won't fit because of the windshield clamps. But folded I don't see why this can't theoretically work.

Try it yourself and see what happens.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:41 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

whoops, sorry "Waiting" when i merged these two threads, it tossed both of your first posts together. dunno how i managed that one?

Anyhow....

I would guess the hard top would abrade the soft top and damage it that way. (Start wearing holes in it) It would lead to leaks and the need to prematurely replace the soft top. Not to mention that the folded soft top would sseriously be in the way of the cargo area of the jeep while you had the hard top on limiting your access and storage ability.

Out of curiosity, why would you want to do this? the soft top comes off very easily, and even easier if you put some quick disconnects on the bows. Only a few moments from on to off & vice versa.

In short, there is no way i would recommend doing it.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 07-28-2009 at 02:48 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:04 AM
gpb
JK Enthusiast

My thoughts:

First, you're never going to get the soft top back into the same shape/size as it came from the factory. By the time you wrestle it into a shape that doesn't rub against the hard top you may as well have taken it off the Jeep. It's only four screws after all.

Second, if you buy a new dual-top and figure on just leaving the soft top in place for a while I'd be concerned about vibrations causing wear & tear on the fabric. Mine was bunched up pretty tight. Not a big deal when the Jeep is sitting on the dealer lot but I wonder how it'd hold up to a few thousand miles of driving?

Finally, getting stuff in and out of the back of the Jeep is a PITA when the soft top and hard top are in place. That alone would get me to find a place to store the soft-top.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm sure its some sort of saftey concern. They'd have to provide you with instructions about how to secure it etc. etc. and have it so it was safe and would be secure enough to warranty. Blame all the moron's who have sued for dumb stuff over the years...

For me I'll never store it there simply because its in the way if I want to haul something in the back. Had that problem when I first got my Jeep. Bought a new TV a couple weeks later (got mine in December) and I couldn't get a damn TV in the back. Had to borrow a buds truck.

It is only 4 bolts (or a couple more if you remove the brackets) so its pretty simple to pull off and on.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mrhumpty
I'm sure its some sort of saftey concern. They'd have to provide you with instructions about how to secure it etc. etc. and have it so it was safe and would be secure enough to warranty. Blame all the moron's who have sued for dumb stuff over the years...

For me I'll never store it there simply because its in the way if I want to haul something in the back. Had that problem when I first got my Jeep. Bought a new TV a couple weeks later (got mine in December) and I couldn't get a damn TV in the back. Had to borrow a buds truck.

It is only 4 bolts (or a couple more if you remove the brackets) so its pretty simple to pull off and on.
Exactly what I was going to say. One of the nice things about having the hard top on is you have open access to the rear, with the soft top there you either have to go over it or under it. A bit of a PIA to me, no?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

I've put my hard top on over of my soft top with no problem. It does help to make sure the soft top is folded back neatly, not just crumpled in, so that it packs in tighter. There was no rubbing.

I have the Bestop Instatrunk installed, so I'm already forced to go over or under to put things in the back, so with the soft top sitting there, it's no more of a PITA than it already is for me anyway.

Another drawback is that with the soft top there, the wiring harness won't reach the hardtop, so forget about using the rear wiper, sprayer or defroster.

Trending Topics

Old 07-28-2009, 10:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

never done this personally, but know guys that do it all the time.
not sure what the big deal would be.

Quick Reply: Store soft top under hard top