Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sun Visor Problems

Old 09-06-2018, 05:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sun Visor Problems

the sun visors on my brother's 2012 JK plastic where it clips to the roof has become brittle and fallen off (see picture) leaving a thinner metal rod that's sturdy but won't clip.

Does anyone know how to disassemble them so a new piece of plastic/metal/rubber can be installed?

The rest of the visors are fine and he is understandably reluctant to pay around $150 each for two visors for this to happen again.

Has anyone had this problem, I tried searching for visor repair, visor, sun visor and got very few hits.

Any known fixes?

Old 09-06-2018, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I had a similar issue on my 03 TJ. I wrapped it in electrical tape as a temporary solution. The visors are expensive, sadly even on eBay they're expensive.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:09 PM
twp
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is the same way. It rattles and drives me crazy. You have to leave it pulled away from where it clips.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:54 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Could you find some sort of plastic tubing or whatnot, that was a similar diameter, then slice it so you could slip it over the visor's bar there, and epoxy it in place?
Old 09-07-2018, 07:14 AM
twp
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking the same thing about the tubing. Just have not had time to try it. Never thought about putting epoxy on it though.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I would try to figure out how to disassemble that end tube section so you can get to one end of the rod. Sorry, can't help you there I never tried to disassemble mine but is likely you need to remove that edge trim piece and go from there. Once disassembled so the end of the rod is exposed, use some electrical black heat shrink tubing and put it over the end of the rod until you get the proper diameter so it holds into the clip.

Yes, visor replacements are expensive. I looked into it because my wife wanted one with a mirror on the passenger side visor. She got a stick on mirror instead after I looked at the price to purchase a visor with a mirror.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by resharp001
Could you find some sort of plastic tubing or whatnot, that was a similar diameter, then slice it so you could slip it over the visor's bar there, and epoxy it in place?
Originally Posted by twp
I was thinking the same thing about the tubing. Just have not had time to try it. Never thought about putting epoxy on it though.
I agree, epoxy is a good idea. This does seem to be a problem for just a few, so it may have been a bad batch of visors instead of all.

I also own a 2012 and haven't had an issue but my brother lives in Puerto Rico where the heat is brutal.

He bought his on December 2011.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I would need to investigate how to take it apart if possible. My choice of repair depending on ease of access would be to install a cheap spacer like these. It will take a bit of research to come up with the right one, but at least you wouldn’t have to worry about crumbly plastic.
NAS43 | Spacer | Hobson Manufacturing

Or heck even some water tubing cut to length from Home Depot, copper, aluminum or steel.

Last edited by Seizer; 09-07-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:04 PM
JK Newbie

The following users liked this post:
twp (07-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Sun Visor Problems