Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

is there a recall on heating in the 2011 jk.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by cfarq
I had no heat on drivers side vent for about 3 years. I finally found a video about back flushing the heater core and i did this yesterday. My heater now works the best it ever has since owning the jeep. It gets extremely hot now. I would try this before anything else as its about a 20 min job max.
LOL!!!

6 hours back flushing with 90deg C CLR didn't do it, and neither did the 3 prior back flushes before that.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Your next step will be in determining the reason why your coolant was low. There's 2 common causes for this. 1. Radiator leak 2. Lower Intake Manifold gasket leak. The most common problem is a leaking radiator. The best way to confirm and find the leak is to use a radiator pressure tester. This is also in my diagnostics thread.
I want to report that my heat is still functioning properly, I have put about 200 miles on the jeep over the last 2 weeks and heat is strong and consistent.

On another note, on Sunday, I noticed my oil filter housing was leaking and had Jeep replace it (it was warrantied, so I went to the stealership), so if it was the intake gasket, that would now be solved. However, I will pressure test it just to make sure...
Old 11-29-2018, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your input!! Really appreciated.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:21 PM
JK Newbie

Great write up and video. My 2011 JKU Shara just started making this same horrible sound this morning. Gonna check it out and hope to make use of the existing part as well. Otherwise, it'll probably take a week or more to get the part to Hawaii. Thank you!!!
Old 12-04-2018, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Suss1173

On another note, on Sunday, I noticed my oil filter housing was leaking and had Jeep replace it (it was warrantied, so I went to the stealership), so if it was the intake gasket, that would now be solved. However, I will pressure test it just to make sure...
I don't think replacing the oil filter housing involves removing the intake manifold....at least not that I'm aware of but I haven't had to replace my oil filter housing.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:20 AM
JK Newbie

Default No easy fix

Originally Posted by Riptide9
If it were a heater core you would smell coolant or not have heat. It sounds like the blend door actuator... cheap and easy fix. Look for one on amazon and think you only need a screwdriver to swap it out

There are no easy fixes with these heating issues, engine flushed heater core flushed. Rad flushed. Actuator door works as it is supposed to and all fluids changed. Should be a recall issue, apparently there is some kind of sand that is in block that clogs everything. Last Jeep I will ever own
Old 01-22-2019, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by xanderman12!
There are no easy fixes with these heating issues, engine flushed heater core flushed. Rad flushed. Actuator door works as it is supposed to and all fluids changed. Should be a recall issue, apparently there is some kind of sand that is in block that clogs everything. Last Jeep I will ever own
And I just found out today, that someone with a 1999 XJ had similar heater core clogging issues. Now I'm no expert in regards to what it takes to remove casting sand out of an engine block during the manufacturing process, but it doesn't seem there's much concern back at Daimlar/Chrysler/FCA HQ to get it right. Very disappointing indeed.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

Default 3rd heater core in less than 3 years

Just got my Jeep back after having the heater core replaced, for the third time! 2011 JKU 130,xxx miles.

had my first failure January 2017 @ 110,xxx miles. I noticed The gurgling sound behind dash and then Coolant started leaking passenger side. Brought to the dealer to fix $$$. November 2017 heard the gurgling sound again and before it started to leak I brought it back again. Dealer diagnosis is in fact the heater core again. Dealer fixes under warranty. January 2019 heater core fails again!!! This time no warning (no gurgling sound) heat goes out and passenger carpet is soaked. Called Jeep to make sure it is still covered under warranty - it is. Dealer fixes it.

Any success stories directly working with Jeep? I called back asking what would happen next time since it is now past the 2 year warranty from the original service date January 2017. and if/when the heater core goes out again - do I have to pay out of pocket again for the same part same problem same ridiculous issue. I’m waiting for a supervisor to call me back.

Old 06-10-2023, 04:51 AM
JK Newbie

Default No heat on drivers side vents and aux fan runs a lot

Originally Posted by Suss1173
I am dealing with the same issue. I have some heat, but it’s not consistent and seems to be warmer on the passenger side then on the driver side. However, I find it strange that for some reason my auxiliary fan is running all the time, the engin temperature is normal, but th fan seems to come on after 10 minutes of driving and stay on, until I turn the jeep off. It is not hot, the operating temp is normal.
what did you ever figure out? Thanks

Quick Reply: is there a recall on heating in the 2011 jk.