Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

transfer case stuck in neutral

Old 09-17-2011, 12:54 PM
HBC
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone broken the actual cable???

I've checked both the top and bottom and both ends are still intact and attached, but the shifter knob is sloppy. Someone earlier said that the cable itself is strong, but the only thing I can think of at this point is that the cable is busted inside the sleeve. Has anyone else had this/similar problem?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

f both ends of the cable are intact and still connected to the respective mounting pins, two things couls cause the loose handle. Either the cable itself broke , which although unlikely is possible for a number of reasons. Or the transfer case actuator arm on the side of the t-case has somehow broken inside the t-case- hopefully its just the cable
Old 09-23-2011, 07:15 AM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may have been stated already, but from what I've learned Jeep uses a plastic bushing as a weak link on purpose. Otherwise you risk damaging the transfer case jamming it into gear. You need to finesse it.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blw
This may have been stated already, but from what I've learned Jeep uses a plastic bushing as a weak link on purpose. Otherwise you risk damaging the transfer case jamming it into gear. You need to finesse it.
I have heard this as well. Technically when everything is ideally lined up it should fall right into place. Too bad, ideally, sometimes this works and other times it does not.

Too much pressure and pop
Old 02-04-2012, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

BTT

This thread is stickalicious.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

So are we using the E-clip without the plastic bushing or are we cutting the end off of the bushing and putting the clip there+
Old 02-08-2012, 01:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by GreenJK07
So are we using the E-clip without the plastic bushing or are we cutting the end off of the bushing and putting the clip there+
Anyone? No bushing, just the clip or cut the bushing to fit the clip?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:11 PM
JK Junkie

Well I just zip tied my transfer case side up for reinforcement. I put two zip ties on it just in case. Kind of looks as if it might cause the bushing to fail from being to tight. Im not sure though....
Old 02-08-2012, 04:38 PM
JK Freak

I just had to fix both ends on mine. On the shifter side, I used a washer between the cable end and then put on the e-clip. Couldn't fit a washer on the transfer case end so I just used the e-clip.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rozzman10
did you just order a hand full from the dealer?
I searched on the part number and found a few places that sell them. They are very cheap and usually costs more just for shipping, so I bought a handful. Hasn't broken on mine yet, but after reading how often they break at the worst times, I like having a few in the jeep with me.

Quick Reply: transfer case stuck in neutral