Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Trunk door extends past 90 degrees and smashes tail light. Please help!

Old 09-13-2012, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to fabricate a steal hinge when they fix it. I don't want to have a broken trunk with a chain on it. I would like it to be fixed back to factory and then I'll add my own stopper.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, don't spent your time and money fabricating what they should fix first.
You don't want to let it just fly open, but it should obviously be stronger than you've been experiencing.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bama_Jk
They will not replace the hinges. I keep asking them too otherwise it will keep breaking like you said. I'm taking it to a different dealership today.
That is insane. Definitely take it to a different dealer and also write a letter to Chrysler. If they do not fix the hinges it will continue to happen. Maybe you should let it fly open to the point that it goes all the way around smashing the tail gate and side of the Jeep. JK.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

So I went to a new dealership and they told me the original dealership installed everything incorrectly. They didn't Replace the hinges or install the speaker box correctly. A friend of my dads is a lawyer who said he wanted to write a letter to Chrysler for free. So that is the route we are going now. I'll keep y'all updated
Old 09-17-2012, 06:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So I went to a new dealership and they told me the original dealership installed everything incorrectly. They didn't Replace the hinges or install the speaker box correctly. A friend of my dads is a lawyer who said he wanted to write a letter to Chrysler for free. So that is the route we are going now. I'll keep y'all updated
Did the new dealership get it fixed, though?
Old 09-18-2012, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

No they told me to stick with the original dealer I bought it from. When i submit my repair request to Chrysler and they authorize it to be fixed, then I can request a different dealership to replace the parts. Until then though, I was told to stick with the idiots.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

No they told me to stick with the original dealer I bought it from. When i submit my repair request to Chrysler and they authorize it to be fixed, then I can request a different dealership to replace the parts. Until then though, I was told to stick with the idiots.
That is insane also.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Lemon Law and lawyers over a tailgate stop?!? This is what's wrong with America today! What happened to the DIYers and the get it done attitude instead it's give up and sue someone! I don't mean to be rude and I'm happy the other dealership figured out your problem, things do go wrong and I understand being upset over a brand new Jeep. My story: I bought a brand new $50k Dodge Ram back in 07 when I was only 22 and had to Lemon Law the truck. It was the last thing I wanted to do, I took it to multiple dealerships, even had Dodge fly down a tech from Detroit to look at it (new 6.7L BluTec Cummings). After 18 months of not being able to solve the problem I finally ended up letting it go on advice of the dealership I purchased it from. I still miss it to this day, it was my first ever brand new vehicle, a dream come true. That was a major problem that ultimately required a Lemon Law, all I'm trying to say is let's just not go crazy over a tailgate stop. I'm glad we have this forum for great advice and in the end I think everyone's issues get fixed with a little bit of patience! Good luck with the gate!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

That makes my brain hurt. Why they would not fix it makes no sense.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
Lemon Law and lawyers over a tailgate stop?!? This is what's wrong with America today! What happened to the DIYers and the get it done attitude instead it's give up and sue someone! I don't mean to be rude and I'm happy the other dealership figured out your problem, things do go wrong and I understand being upset over a brand new Jeep. My story: I bought a brand new $50k Dodge Ram back in 07 when I was only 22 and had to Lemon Law the truck. It was the last thing I wanted to do, I took it to multiple dealerships, even had Dodge fly down a tech from Detroit to look at it (new 6.7L BluTec Cummings). After 18 months of not being able to solve the problem I finally ended up letting it go on advice of the dealership I purchased it from. I still miss it to this day, it was my first ever brand new vehicle, a dream come true. That was a major problem that ultimately required a Lemon Law, all I'm trying to say is let's just not go crazy over a tailgate stop. I'm glad we have this forum for great advice and in the end I think everyone's issues get fixed with a little bit of patience! Good luck with the gate!

I agree it is absurd. But it is the principle of buying a brand new vehicle and having it break in 2 weeks. Does it matter what part breaks? The fact of the matter is, I too am 22 years old, bought my first car and it broke because of a defect. I want it fixed. If I backed up into a telephone pole and broke it myself, clearly I would DIY fix it. But I want it fixed new the way it should have been the first time. Is that too much to ask? Honestly

Quick Reply: Trunk door extends past 90 degrees and smashes tail light. Please help!