Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Warning lights/Wheel Speed Sensor problem...

Old 06-22-2012, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning lights/Wheel Speed Sensor problem...

Last week the ABS, ESP/BAS, traction control lights all lit up at the same time. Did some research on here and came up with either a steering issue (not centered) or a wheel speed sensor going out.

I took it to an auto parts store last night to have the codes checked so I could see if it was showing a sensor out and which wheel was bad so I could fix it myself.

They couldn't get any codes to show up.

I really don't think it's a steering issue or clockspring issue...but I'm just basing that on threads from this forum. The airbag light isn't on and the horn works (signs of a clockspring issue).

I had an OME lift put on about 2,500 miles ago and have had no issues with anything. I just find it hard to believe that the steering is out of center or something for no apparent reason.
Anybody else have any suggestions?

This is driving me crazy. Jeep is out of warranty (except powertrain) and my stealership will probably charge about $300 to change out a wheel speed sensor.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:24 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Don't discount the steering wheel centering until you actually check it with one of the programmers that can read the sensor.

Also, check your front wheel bearings. A worn one can be loose enough to make the ABS sensor not read correctly.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice. I wish I had an access to the proper equipment. I'll figure something out.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is there another auto parts store that u can try, see if they have any luck with maybe a different reader, had same problem awhile back. Turned out to be an intermittent wheel speed sensor in right front. Changed it out myself, pretty straight forward, if u have tools and a jack, you could definitely do it. If that's what it ends up being.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 08 did the same after putting 35's on and the steering wheel centering fixed it. It took about 10 minutes so it couldn't hurt to try.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KY JK
My 08 did the same after putting 35's on and the steering wheel centering fixed it. It took about 10 minutes so it couldn't hurt to try.
Did you center it manually by loosening the nuts on the steering thingamabob and turning it (trial and error until it was centered)? Or did you have someone do it with a programmer? Thanks for the help.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do a search for: girlfriend center steering, and click on the ESP BAS warning lights thread. There is a little trick to do to recalibrate the computer I guess it is. I tried to link it or copy it but aw unsuccessful on my iphone
Old 06-22-2012, 07:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chew
Did you center it manually by loosening the nuts on the steering thingamabob and turning it (trial and error until it was centered)? Or did you have someone do it with a programmer? Thanks for the help.
That was it. Loosen the bolts and turn. It's easier if someone is inside to tell you when its centered so you're not up and down looking yourself.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Success! Went to a different auto parts store. Pulled up a code of C102B. I googled it and it was the right rear wheel speed sensor. $16 part on order.

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Warning lights/Wheel Speed Sensor problem...