Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What is this noise?

Old 09-15-2013, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this noise?

I have a 2013 2 door with a manual transmission. At about 1,980 miles, a noise was noticed coming from the bottom of the Jeep. I can best describe the noise as what is made when you tap two marbles together. When the Jeep was taken to the dealer, they said it was a throwout bearing. The throwout Bering and clutch was replaced, but the noise remained. The dealership disassembled the transmission, and said the snap rings were broken. These were replaced, but the noise is still there. The dealership now says it needs a transmission, but it is on back order. I'm a little less than confident in their ability to diagnose the problem. Does anyone here have any ideas or a similar experience? I've tried to attach links to videos of the noises. I hope they work. Thanks or your help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgj23vXNTs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUKKk6pLRq4
Old 09-15-2013, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got the same noise with 19k nothing's gone wrong for me.... Dealer by me says it's normal

Sent from my Obama phone using JK-Forum
Old 09-15-2013, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

When did you 1st notice the noise? Mine didn't do it when I bought it. I would say if its normal, it would have done it from the day I bought it.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

I have the same noise but when I took it in to the dealer, after letting it sit all weekend, of course it wasnt making it. Now its doing it again. Is it likely that if it was the TOB that the noise would come and go and correlate with more driving? I'm not very mechanically inclined. I do not ride the clutch at all and I'm easy on it. I also keep it in neutral with clutch out at stop lights and such. Any thoughts? Oh and noise started around 6k I'm now at 8500 miles.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is the tob :( my dealer said just wait till it pops

Sent from my Obama phone using JK-Forum
Old 09-15-2013, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

The mechanics said that it was the TOB and replaced it and put in a new clutch kit. But that didn't resolve the noise. Chrysler told them to open the transmission and that is when they found the broken snap ring(s) so they replaced them. The noise was still there so Chrysler said to put a new transmission in. It is now on back order. I don't know if the snap rings keep breaking or what. I don't know that the dealer knows either. I have read that a broken snap ring is a symptom of a problem.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2013 6 speed rubi with 1000 miles, and I feel like i have heard the noise at times, but not all the time. Im kinda sad that Jeep still seems to be having issues like this with there new models. I bought this jeep because I have heard great things about the 3.6L penstar, but i guess they have still not fixed the tranny issues. I had a 2010 sport with the 3.8L enigine and that thing was starting to eat oil almost at day one.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:05 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by AlexjeepVb
I have a 2013 6 speed rubi with 1000 miles, and I feel like i have heard the noise at times, but not all the time. Im kinda sad that Jeep still seems to be having issues like this with there new models. I bought this jeep because I have heard great things about the 3.6L penstar, but i guess they have still not fixed the tranny issues. I had a 2010 sport with the 3.8L enigine and that thing was starting to eat oil almost at day one.
Sould've kept the 2010 and run heavier oil.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Update: The dealer installed a new transmission today, and guess what. The noise is still there. We questioned if it was a transmission noise at all. They said they are sure it's coming from the transmission. What are the chances the new transmission would make the same noise? The dealer said a representative from Chrysler would be here Monday to check it out. We will see what happens then.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2012 manual with same noise. Taken it to dealer several times and they said it's normal. They took a new '13 off the lot and said it made the exact same noise. They don't know why it does it, it just does. Just accepting it as long as it's not a major issue.

Quick Reply: What is this noise?