Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Windshield defroster is a safety hazard

Old 01-25-2009, 09:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any one working on a fix for this?? I have an idea but it will be a pain to build to look nice. Ugly is easy.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
-24C up here, plenty of snow...and I've had not problems with my defroster...something set a little different on Jeeps down south? Thermostat temps lower to keep engines running cooler??
x2 for me. When we had that cold snap with -34 C (-29 F) mine was fine with four people in a 2 door going down the highway. Outside stayed ice-free and inside stayed steam-free.

Are there differences in the way they set the thermos in the more northern Jeeps?
Old 01-26-2009, 12:01 AM
JK Freak

It's a head scratcher. The system seems challenged in ice storms in clearing the windshield and wipers. But what the hell - it hones ones skills as a manager of the air flow. My wife said I should let my dad ride with us because he blows enough hot air to melt the glass- I think she was pissed off due to the cat barfing in her shoe that morning.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had the same problem today and was thinking about a solution for this. If you could somehow cut the defrost vent slats from the bottom about 3/4 of the way through and then bend the fins outward toward the driver side then perhaps that will deflect enough air to keep that part deiced. If the plastic isn't long enough then you could even glue extentions to them.
I would try this out myself but my tools are 2000 miles away from me right now.

Thanks katsumotology for the pic

Last edited by d0wnShifT; 01-27-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

Reviving an old thread because, hey, it's ****ing winter in Alaska and once again, the suffering begins with this worthless windshield defroster. The '08 JK has the worst defroster design imaginable. The center 1/3 of the windshield gets the heat, leaving both driver and passenger side frozen or melted just enough to drag snow and ice across your field of vision. And the heat doesn't even come close to defrosting the windshield wipers because the wipers are an inch below where the heat hits the windshield. If you have not experienced this then your weather is NOT bad enough. Designed by a committee of chimpanzees and field tested in Arizona.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

This is what I did years ago. I just throw it over the defroster vents in the winter.
It improves the distribution of the hot air.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Defroster Duct.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	676180
Old 11-21-2017, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
This is what I did years ago. I just throw it over the defroster vents in the winter.
It improves the distribution of the hot air.

Attachment 676180
Do you have the link where you originally posted the length and diameter of pipe you used? I keep coming back to your pic each year.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Do you have the link where you originally posted the length and diameter of pipe you used? I keep coming back to your pic each year.
I took a piece of 2" pvc, drilled evenly spaced holes in it, capped the ends, sliced it in half, heated and bent it to fit the windshield's curvature, lined the bottom edges with thin self-stick foam strips, (sticky side on the edges of the pvc), and put it in place.

It does a much better job of getting the warm air to the ends of the windshield. Defogging on the inside, and deicing on the outside are more effective. I remove it in the summer.

Quick Reply: Windshield defroster is a safety hazard