0%
SRC Smitty Built Roll Cage 76904
20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Jeep JK Punisher Edition Build Log Full Custom Jeep by Del Rey Customs

Old 06-15-2014, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have now done 2 hours driving in my truck and I wanted to write my initial impressions on the various aspects of it.

I've driven quite a lot of cars and 4x4 'soft-roader' vehicles but this is my first real 4x4 truck so a lot of my observations are contrasting the truck to driving cars. Also, I want this truck to be what I 'affectionately' see referred to on here as a Mall Crawler, so being usable as a road truck is important.

So without further ado, here we go:

Engine: The tweaks here are air box, exhaust and ECU remap. The engine pulls a lot stronger than I thought it would and I am very pleased with it. It doesn’t need more power or torque right now. It pulls off the line like a champ and was cruising at 70MPH easily with plenty go in it for overtaking. It certainly hasn't been killed with the big wheels like I thought it would, but thats gearing for you I guess. I only drove the truck for a short while before I dropped it off with Shane, but it certainly seemed to have more balls than I remember when it was stock. I have 5.13 axle gearing and while very good, I would be interested to try higher around 5.3+ if such a thing exists. 9/10

Exhaust: The new exhaust has made a huge different to the note and sounds meaty but needs to be louder. Its a little bit too subtle . I will also ask Shane if we can make it pop and crackle on the overrun, but with out knowing what control we have on the ECU I am not sure what we can do there and whether the exhaust alone can influence that. You can certainly hear its a V6 now the exhaust is opened up. 7/10

Tires: The tires are a bit 'lumpy' at slow speed but perfectly acceptable and much better than I was expecting. They feel surprisingly car like given they are 40" truck tires. They also don't make a lot of road noise like I was expecting but they do seem quite a road style tread pattern compared to some of them really aggressive off-road tires I see on some rigs. They're great for what I need. 9/10

Steering: This was a HUGE surprise. The steering is very light and almost over-powered for my personal taste. We definitely do NOT need hydro steering for mall crawling. However I would like to explore an increase in steering damping rate - I want to try more damping there for when at speed. It's not so much that it was an issue at 70mph on the I405, but when I was hitting the potholes and ruts I felt the damping could have been firmer. I am not sure if that is adjustable but I will ask Shane. I also noticed that the tires can rub on full lock so I wonder if there are rack stops so we don’t rub on normal road height use? Perhaps that's me just being a pussy . 8/10

Ride: This made me speechless, its amazing. Its like a car and a huge improvement over stock on the road. I can’t believe it has the lift and huge wheels when you’re driving it. It drives better than many cars. Perfect. A genuine surprise. I think this may be due to a fairly firm set-up as there is a lot less body roll and bouncing around than when stock which is perfect for my mall crawling. All the looks of a off-road rig with road manners of a good car. Nailed it. 10/10.

Brakes: The brakes require more physical effort than I am used to but once you are used to the fact you have to put in more initial effort the brakes themselves are very strong. They stop better than stock on stock wheels but I always thought the stock brakes felt weak on the Jeep. I know we upgraded the master cylinder for the big brakes. I wonder if we increase the servo effort to get more assistance to make the effort I need to put in less (lazy I know)? Pedal feel is solid though and when you press the pedal the brakes lock up no problem. I was actually quite worried about this part as the inertia in them big wheels and tires must be huge so I thought we could be seriously slow to stop. On a warm sunny day in California it stops as well as anything I have driven. 7/10

So that was my assessment of the first 2 hours driving. Overall I am blown away by it. I had read a huge amount on here about how it would barely pull away, would drive like shit, be unable to stop, noisy, dangerous etc. I am pleased to report that is utter crap. It needs some tuning and fettling for sure, but its better than many cars I have driven, is stable, handles great, smooth and feels well screwed together. And I am a picky guy who has had a few decent cars along the way.

So the next steps are a bit more driving then I am going in to Del Rey Customs on Monday so we can discuss the tweaks and then get everything ready to start making it look and sound good.

And finally, thanks to everyone on here for their feedback. While I have said there are several worries and comments made that have proven unfounded, I am pleased by the net effect of the suggestions made and feel very happy having a whole community of very knowledgeable people on the 'board of directors' of our build. Thanks guys .
Old 06-15-2014, 10:43 AM
JK Junkie

I've watched this thread for a while now. I've felt bad for all the crap you've been getting most of the time and idk if your just at the end of your nerves with ppl. But now you've gotten snippy with ppl trying to help when you truly have zero clue how to build a jeep and now I seriously doubt u have any idea how to build a street or show car. You may be very talented at audio but you should stick with that. Everything youve done to this jeep as far as suspension mods and upgrades is a joke and is only a matter of time before it blows up on the street let alone off road. Ohh yeah but I probably don't know what I'm talking about as I only built 5 jeeps and several mud race trucks with over 500 HP and 44" tires. Sorry 3 chainz but keep us in the loop over next year or two to show us how u fix a lot if this stuff
Old 06-15-2014, 11:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Del Rey Customs
Think we're good keep pick it apart guys. Keep on going I am starting to think most of you have never lifted a jeep nor done this much work on one. Everything solid and installed to Manufacture Spec and have had the engineers at Procomp look it over to be sure it's safe. Keep the rumor alive it's a death trap because it's far from. Are you not entertained because I am. LoL Happy Fathers Day!
This build has been an immense source of entertainment. Mostly because you guys robbed the owner blind. You sold this guy on being experts at what you do and proceeded to take a ton of money for stuff you didn't know how to install. The end result here is an absolute joke.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D_engel

Everything about these rear sway bar links is wrong. And have them go through and weld washers on all the brackets where cam bolts were used. You have fully adjustable components, no need for cam bolts. They are just going to come loose and cause death wobble
so that is solid? swaybar almost if not hitting the shock body and got to love the bolt without a washer on the lower swaybar link. wow just wow.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think we're good keep pick it apart guys. Keep on going I am starting to think most of you have never lifted a jeep nor done this much work on one. Everything solid and installed to Manufacture Spec and have had the engineers at Procomp look it over to be sure it's safe. Keep the rumor alive it's a death trap because it's far from. Are you not entertained because I am. LoL Happy Fathers Day!
Pretty much everything that's been pointed out as wrong is definitely wrong. You can stay in denial.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hahaha!!!

I can't decide what is the most funny part of this.

People in this forum have never done lifts etc?

WRONG. Welcome to a Jeep forum where people understand the quirks that make a well built machine.

Solidt?

NO. HELL NO.

"Engineers" at Pro Comp? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Pro Comp lifts are SHIT. I don't mean "they aren't the best money can buy". I mean they are SHIT. They are the WORST shit "Jeep" lift on the market. Skyjacker is a close second.

FYI, Pro Comp is owned by Transamerican AKA 4Wheelparts. I GURANTEE you that there is not a single person in that entire corporation with an engineering degree.

Pro comp lifts are make to make a vehicle taller. That's it. No consideration for off road usability, no consideration for ride, longevity, etc. They are the laughing stock of anyone who actually drives their rig off-road or wants it to not ride like a wood wagon.

You picked the wrong vehicles community to build a POS and try to pass it off as the second coming of Christ.

That thing is a wonky built ass piece of dog shit with every "redneck with a paycheck" gaudy, junk, tacky, magazine ordered part know to mankind in it.

Built by someone who doesn't understand the first thing about Jeeps and doesn't want to accept reality from those that do.

The biggest favor you could have done yourself would have been to stay the hell of any forum with that heap of crap so you wouldn't get exposed.

Best of luck!
Old 06-15-2014, 12:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by D_engel
I never called it a death trap, I merely pointed out the fact that there are no sleeves in the sway bar bushings. You just slapped a bolt in there and called it a day. And the cam bolts never should have been used- Period. I'm not saying its fault on your part, but pro comp should have never used them in their kit, especially on something like a track bar. And this ain't my first rodeo. I'm trying to help you fix the things that the shop may have missed.
He doesn't even understand what Death Wobble is. He thinks it's some term you just threw out there. ****ing cam bolts on a 100k machine! LOL!!!
Old 06-15-2014, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 3chainz
I have now done 2 hours driving in my truck and I wanted to write my initial impressions on the various aspects of it. I've driven quite a lot of cars and 4x4 'soft-roader' vehicles but this is my first real 4x4 truck so a lot of my observations are contrasting the truck to driving cars. Also, I want this truck to be what I 'affectionately' see referred to on here as a Mall Crawler, so being usable as a road truck is important. So without further ado, here we go: Engine: The tweaks here are air box, exhaust and ECU remap. The engine pulls a lot stronger than I thought it would and I am very pleased with it. It doesn’t need more power or torque right now. It pulls off the line like a champ and was cruising at 70MPH easily with plenty go in it for overtaking. It certainly hasn't been killed with the big wheels like I thought it would, but thats gearing for you I guess. I only drove the truck for a short while before I dropped it off with Shane, but it certainly seemed to have more balls than I remember when it was stock. I have 5.13 axle gearing and while very good, I would be interested to try higher around 5.3+ if such a thing exists. 9/10 Exhaust: The new exhaust has made a huge different to the note and sounds meaty but needs to be louder. Its a little bit too subtle . I will also ask Shane if we can make it pop and crackle on the overrun, but with out knowing what control we have on the ECU I am not sure what we can do there and whether the exhaust alone can influence that. You can certainly hear its a V6 now the exhaust is opened up. 7/10 Tires: The tires are a bit 'lumpy' at slow speed but perfectly acceptable and much better than I was expecting. They feel surprisingly car like given they are 40" truck tires. They also don't make a lot of road noise like I was expecting but they do seem quite a road style tread pattern compared to some of them really aggressive off-road tires I see on some rigs. They're great for what I need. 9/10 Steering: This was a HUGE surprise. The steering is very light and almost over-powered for my personal taste. We definitely do NOT need hydro steering for mall crawling. However I would like to explore an increase in steering damping rate - I want to try more damping there for when at speed. It's not so much that it was an issue at 70mph on the I405, but when I was hitting the potholes and ruts I felt the damping could have been firmer. I am not sure if that is adjustable but I will ask Shane. I also noticed that the tires can rub on full lock so I wonder if there are rack stops so we don’t rub on normal road height use? Perhaps that's me just being a pussy . 8/10 Ride: This made me speechless, its amazing. Its like a car and a huge improvement over stock on the road. I can’t believe it has the lift and huge wheels when you’re driving it. It drives better than many cars. Perfect. A genuine surprise. I think this may be due to a fairly firm set-up as there is a lot less body roll and bouncing around than when stock which is perfect for my mall crawling. All the looks of a off-road rig with road manners of a good car. Nailed it. 10/10. Brakes: The brakes require more physical effort than I am used to but once you are used to the fact you have to put in more initial effort the brakes themselves are very strong. They stop better than stock on stock wheels but I always thought the stock brakes felt weak on the Jeep. I know we upgraded the master cylinder for the big brakes. I wonder if we increase the servo effort to get more assistance to make the effort I need to put in less (lazy I know)? Pedal feel is solid though and when you press the pedal the brakes lock up no problem. I was actually quite worried about this part as the inertia in them big wheels and tires must be huge so I thought we could be seriously slow to stop. On a warm sunny day in California it stops as well as anything I have driven. 7/10 So that was my assessment of the first 2 hours driving. Overall I am blown away by it. I had read a huge amount on here about how it would barely pull away, would drive like shit, be unable to stop, noisy, dangerous etc. I am pleased to report that is utter crap. It needs some tuning and fettling for sure, but its better than many cars I have driven, is stable, handles great, smooth and feels well screwed together. And I am a picky guy who has had a few decent cars along the way. So the next steps are a bit more driving then I am going in to Del Rey Customs on Monday so we can discuss the tweaks and then get everything ready to start making it look and sound good. And finally, thanks to everyone on here for their feedback. While I have said there are several worries and comments made that have proven unfounded, I am pleased by the net effect of the suggestions made and feel very happy having a whole community of very knowledgeable people on the 'board of directors' of our build. Thanks guys .
your steering feels "light" and like it doesn't have enough damping because you need more caster.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-864295392.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	559863  
Old 06-15-2014, 12:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bypass