Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hothead headliner

Old 10-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Hotheads Representative

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spinlock
I have seen one installed and it looks llke it came from the factory, the only *aesthetic* improvement might be to paint the inside of the top to match the headliner, if you really care that much, and I have to agree with everything particularly if it is a dd, but I am concerned about two things:

1. How long the adhesive on the velcro strips will hold?
2. How it will hold up to handling when removing or installing the top without a lift?
Hey guys,
thanks for the nice words about my headliners. I thought I'd address these two concerns while they are aired. How long will the Velcro adhesive hold? I wish I had a definite answer for that question, but I don't. What I do know is that the Velcro Company temperature rates the Velcro adhesive I'm using at -20 to 225 F. In 100+ degrees direct sunlight the hottest I've measure the outside of a black hardtop is 170 F. I still wasn't satisfied that the Velcro would hold, so I bought a used hardtop and cut it up into 2 by 2 piece. I used a heat lamp and raised the outside temp of the top to 330. Directly under it I put a strip of Velcro with a piece hot headliner Velcro to it. I left it that way for a week; checking it periodically. The adhesive did become softer which made it easier to pull the Velcro off, but I'd guess it would still hold 20 to 30 times the weight of a headliner panel. And if you are still concerned about the Velcro holding I have a contact cement that you can use to attach the hook side of the Velcro to your hardtop. At 330 degrees you need pliers to pull the Velcro strips off when glued on with it. The reason I haven't offered the contact cement is because it would be a lot more work (and possibly messy) to install the headliners, and because I've had about 50 sets of my headliners up in the desert all summer with no problems.
As far as your second concern, just pull the panels out before you remove your top. they are only Velcroed in place.
I guess that's enough typing out of me.
thanks for your time
Mark
Old 10-24-2009, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed mine

I received my hothead headliner in Graphite for my 08 4door JK. I watched the video installation last night on youtube but it was not necessary. Took me just a few minutes to do the install and they look great.

Mark was easy to work with via email and the product quality is great. I can't wait to go for a ride and see if it quiets the interior a little and helps the stereo.

Highly recommended.
Barry
Old 10-24-2009, 07:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 10-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Foo
JK Enthusiast

I'll be putting mine in soon (top is at the ceiling of the garage right now).

But since I'm in AZ, I'll know first hand how it works.. in the summer.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcambrose
Hey guys,
thanks for the nice words about my headliners. I thought I'd address these two concerns while they are aired. How long will the Velcro adhesive hold? I wish I had a definite answer for that question, but I don't. What I do know is that the Velcro Company temperature rates the Velcro adhesive I'm using at -20 to 225 F. In 100+ degrees direct sunlight the hottest I've measure the outside of a black hardtop is 170 F. I still wasn't satisfied that the Velcro would hold, so I bought a used hardtop and cut it up into 2 by 2 piece. I used a heat lamp and raised the outside temp of the top to 330. Directly under it I put a strip of Velcro with a piece hot headliner Velcro to it. I left it that way for a week; checking it periodically. The adhesive did become softer which made it easier to pull the Velcro off, but I'd guess it would still hold 20 to 30 times the weight of a headliner panel. And if you are still concerned about the Velcro holding I have a contact cement that you can use to attach the hook side of the Velcro to your hardtop. At 330 degrees you need pliers to pull the Velcro strips off when glued on with it. The reason I haven't offered the contact cement is because it would be a lot more work (and possibly messy) to install the headliners, and because I've had about 50 sets of my headliners up in the desert all summer with no problems.
As far as your second concern, just pull the panels out before you remove your top. they are only Velcroed in place.
I guess that's enough typing out of me.
thanks for your time
Mark
That is what I call rigorous testing!

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just put mine on today, looks great. Should have had something like this from Jeep to begin with. Order went right though, got it two weeks later. The only negative things where that the middle stencil as a pain to keep up at first, so I used some xtra masking tape. Also I think they are made to order. So after unboxing it (and boy was it ever boxed very well) it had a very strong glue odor. We aired it out for two days before putting it in, and it still has some glue odor. I am sure it will go away, but the wife hates the smell of glue.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Default Follow Up

Finally got to drive the vehicle today after installing the headliner yesterday. A definite improvement in noise level and an improvement in the sound of the stereo.

BUT, I may have a problem but I doubt it. As mentioned in other posts, the headliners come very well packed with stencils for the middle and back panels. My problem may be that I didn't bother to use them. All I did was use rubbing alcohol to clean the roof and then removed the tape on the velcro and pressed the headliner to the roof. I then held the panels for quite a while to make sure they were in solidly.

I'll let you all know if they fall on my head!
Old 10-25-2009, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Canipe
Finally got to drive the vehicle today after installing the headliner yesterday. A definite improvement in noise level and an improvement in the sound of the stereo.

BUT, I may have a problem but I doubt it. As mentioned in other posts, the headliners come very well packed with stencils for the middle and back panels. My problem may be that I didn't bother to use them. All I did was use rubbing alcohol to clean the roof and then removed the tape on the velcro and pressed the headliner to the roof. I then held the panels for quite a while to make sure they were in solidly.

I'll let you all know if they fall on my head!
I don't think you should have any problems, so long as you cleaned where the velcro tape goes. I have heard of others doing it the way you did it. I was thinking of doing it that way also, but didn't want to clean the whole roof. With the stencils you only have to clean that spot. Did you also have the glue odor issue we had. Smells don't bother me much, buy even I thought it was strong.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Yes, I have the strong glue smell but it is tolerable. I just pretend that my JK has that new car smell again.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Post HotHead Headliner Photo

Just put these up, took some shots with my cell phone. Hope this works.

Last edited by wmcvey; 11-30-2009 at 02:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Hothead headliner