Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch help

Old 04-24-2014, 09:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch help

Upgraded my clutch to Centerforce on my 2010 JKU... after getting it back it was hard to put in gear, especially 1st... Shop tells me it should be alright after its break-in period. After a few weeks it has gotten worse. Brought it back in and they replaced my slave cylinder after driving it for a day it feels even worse and my clutch pressure feels spongey. Does anyone know what i should do? Im already down $1300 and i feel like this shop doesnt know how to fix the problem. Thanks in advance
Old 04-24-2014, 10:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssg381
Upgraded my clutch to Centerforce on my 2010 JKU... after getting it back it was hard to put in gear, especially 1st... Shop tells me it should be alright after its break-in period. After a few weeks it has gotten worse. Brought it back in and they replaced my slave cylinder after driving it for a day it feels even worse and my clutch pressure feels spongey. Does anyone know what i should do? Im already down $1300 and i feel like this shop doesnt know how to fix the problem. Thanks in advance
Man, I am feeling your pain if for no other reason than I want to put the same Centerforce clutch in my 2009, and I just don't trust any shop to do it right. With that being said, it's always a good idea to educate yourself about what was supposed to have been performed by the mechanics...(I can't call them techs for a job that many have done for themselves).

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...ite-up-204276/

Here are the usual suspects for spongeyness:
1) Low or wrong type of fluid in clutch master cylinder
2) Air in clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, or lines
3) Leakage from system, bad hose
4) Misalignment of clutch components
5) Worn out clutch and/or hydraulic components

I would investigate 1, 2, and 3 and suspect any combination of the three. I do NOT think you "needed" a slave cylinder, and I wouldn't let anyone tell you it's a master cylinder either.

For #3, visually check the hydraulic connecting lines for any sign of leaking or cracking.

For #4, also try the link https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...d-info-285330/ .

Assuming the shop included a new throw out bearing (TOB), it must be properly clipped onto the brace, AND the brace must be properly seated on its pivot point. The other end of the brace locates itself on the end of the slave cylinder actuator piston. The Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) refers to the pivot point being out of spec and needing to be shimmed with washers. The symptom was hard/difficult shifting resulting from the clutch not being able to disengage fully. I believe this was all resolved in early JK models and would not apply to a 2010.

Good Luck!

Last edited by HankFard; 04-24-2014 at 11:03 PM. Reason: rewording
Old 04-25-2014, 02:30 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

The slave cylinder has a small-almost-but-not-quite-an-O-ring that seals between the hydraulic line and the slave cylinder. That SABNQOR is very easy to lose--when I was replacing my slave cylinder I dropped it and it bounced faster than greased lighning across the garage floor. Without a sample, I figured it was just a regular old O-ring. IT IS NOT! A regular O-ring will not seal. And the SABNQOR is NOT a separately sold item--to get a new one you must buy the entire hydraulic line. If the person who worked on your Jeep was not careful, he may have dropped it and replaced it--it's very easy to do if you're not aware of it. And he may have just stuck an O-ring in from shop stock, and sent you on your (not so merry) way.

That was an great deal of explanation just to get to this: Check for a hydraulic fluid leak at the slave cylinder.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Sabnqor

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
The slave cylinder has a small-almost-but-not-quite-an-O-ring that seals between the hydraulic line and the slave cylinder. That SABNQOR is very easy to lose--when I was replacing my slave cylinder I dropped it and it bounced faster than greased lighning across the garage floor. Without a sample, I figured it was just a regular old O-ring. IT IS NOT! A regular O-ring will not seal. And the SABNQOR is NOT a separately sold item--to get a new one you must buy the entire hydraulic line. If the person who worked on your Jeep was not careful, he may have dropped it and replaced it--it's very easy to do if you're not aware of it. And he may have just stuck an O-ring in from shop stock, and sent you on your (not so merry) way.

That was an great deal of explanation just to get to this: Check for a hydraulic fluid leak at the slave cylinder.

Mark,

THAT is excellent information, certainly something I am going to remember - SABNQOR (!)
It completely makes sense too. I would love pick your brain about it how it might separate from the line, exactly where it is located, what color it is, hard material or rubbery, etc? Is the hydraulic line a push-to-click fit, or does it thread in to place? I am techy about these things, and hopefully the OP will benefit too!
Click image for larger version

Name:	JK Slave cylinder.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	548379

Thanks, Andrew (Hankfard)
Old 04-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HankFard
Mark,

THAT is excellent information, certainly something I am going to remember - SABNQOR (!)
It completely makes sense too. I would love pick your brain about it how it might separate from the line, exactly where it is located, what color it is, hard material or rubbery, etc? Is the hydraulic line a push-to-click fit, or does it thread in to place? I am techy about these things, and hopefully the OP will benefit too!
Attachment 548379

Thanks, Andrew (Hankfard)
I had that part in my nightmares for days... I swapped out slave and master, dropped the O-Ring and is disappeared into thin air. If swapping slave or master cylinder and not line, you have to remember to pick this little piece out of the old master/slave. It's just a press in fit, but without it you'll suck in air and blow out fluid.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch Hydraulic 1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	548389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch Hydraulic 2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	548390  
Old 04-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssg381
Try bleeding the system through the slave cylinder, make sure reservoir is topped off.

Pump 6x
With Pedal Up
Open Slave
Press Pedal to floor
Close Slave
Repeat a few times until you get a solid stream.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

Ok, this is the latest report on my horror story.. brought back in after a week with the same problem ( Hard to put in gear while in a complete stop). After telling me that it was the slave cylander causing this problem. The slave was replaced and had the same problem almost immediately, brought it back a couple days later and now they tell me its a transmission problem. I never had any issues with the Tranny to begin with.. i just wanted them to upgrade my clutch. Is there any legal way of asking for my money back? Or demand that they fix the problem? It seems like these CLOWNS dont know what they are doing.. Y'alls feedback would be greatly appreciated..Thanks in advance.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bottom line - is there any visible evidence of fluid leakage from where the hydraulic line goes into the slave cylinder? Has the fluid level gone down at all in the reservoir?
Old 05-11-2014, 04:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by HankFard
Bottom line - is there any visible evidence of fluid leakage from where the hydraulic line goes into the slave cylinder? Has the fluid level gone down at all in the reservoir?
No visible leaks and reservoir is still topped off. Could this be a Tranny issue? Once the Jeep is motion i have no problem shifting, it only gives problem on a complete stop.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

I doubt that there is anything wrong with your transmission. It would seem that faulty installation of the throwout bearing or clutch assembly itself are more likely suspects.
That's only my opinion; maybe others have other ideas.

Quick Reply: clutch help