Notices
European Countries If you live in Europe and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Has anyone chipped or boosted their CRD?

Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RLT
A performance chip with the AEV lift, the 4.10 and 35's all sounds good to me
Stuff to look forward to in a years time when my warranty runs out.
Soon as you get your stuff installed, require full continuous reports please as to ride etc.
(Also hope that tire carrier install goes smoothly for you.)

RLT
Cheers,

Will post a thread soon. Should keep my busy, lots of boxes!!
Old 07-31-2011, 12:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, had the Tunit for about 2 1/2 months now and here the low down. I keep it on max power (setting 9) all the time. The improvement in torque is great and particularly noticeable in 6th on the motorway where you can just feather the throttle and she'll pick up beautifully, even up steep inclines. Overtaking is now good with better response and quicker acceleration.

MPG has improved slightly, too, basically because I still drive at the same speeds but am not having to be so hard on the gas pedal to achieve those speeds.

All in all it seems like a very worthwhile investment, making the Jeep a lot more fun to driver, safer for overtaking and a bit better economically.

The only niggle has been that occasionally the Jeep's computer doesn't like the extra power boost so a couple of times if I've floored it pulling out onto a highway it has thrown a P00087 fault code and put the engine into limp mode. The way to combat this is to make sure you have a ScanGauge II installed:

These will show you the fault code and allow you to instantly clear it, taking the Jeep back out of limp mode and back to normal whilst still moving. Without it you'd have to pull over, stop the engine and restart, then wait 5 or 6 more restarts for the fault light to clear itself.

This only happens very occasionally so it's not a concern to me. So long and short of it is, go get one!!
Old 07-31-2011, 12:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want a CRD Jeep here in the US!!!!
Old 07-31-2011, 02:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrangler07
OK, had the Tunit for about 2 1/2 months now and here the low down. I keep it on max power (setting 9) all the time. The improvement in torque is great and particularly noticeable in 6th on the motorway where you can just feather the throttle and she'll pick up beautifully, even up steep inclines. Overtaking is now good with better response and quicker acceleration.

MPG has improved slightly, too, basically because I still drive at the same speeds but am not having to be so hard on the gas pedal to achieve those speeds.

All in all it seems like a very worthwhile investment, making the Jeep a lot more fun to driver, safer for overtaking and a bit better economically.

The only niggle has been that occasionally the Jeep's computer doesn't like the extra power boost so a couple of times if I've floored it pulling out onto a highway it has thrown a P00087 fault code and put the engine into limp mode. The way to combat this is to make sure you have a ScanGauge II installed:

These will show you the fault code and allow you to instantly clear it, taking the Jeep back out of limp mode and back to normal whilst still moving. Without it you'd have to pull over, stop the engine and restart, then wait 5 or 6 more restarts for the fault light to clear itself.

This only happens very occasionally so it's not a concern to me. So long and short of it is, go get one!!
Good to hear. I am saving at the moment. I think I will get the scanguage 2 first. Did you get that from the US or from scanguage2.co.uk?
Old 07-31-2011, 02:34 PM
JK Freak

I got it from Gendan:

gendan.co.uk/product_SCANGAUGE.html

They're good guys and were pleasant and efficient and the price was good, too.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wrangler07, how do you find the Scangauge?
I have been thinking to get either this one or the Aeroforce, to monitor some extra parameters in the vehicle. What are the ones you are able to see with your setup?
I think also will get it online where you posted.

About the Tunit: thanks for the report!!!!
I want to 'boost' my CRD for quite a while now, but here where I am there is no sufficient expertise and I really do not wish to be a tester .... after going 35s I find my Sahara with the 3.73 struggles from time to time. While I wait to jump into a locker and gears, I really think it would be time to ... have more poweeer!
Do you think it is possible for a DIY installation for someone able to connect other devices like a radio and speakers, etc.?
Does your CRD has a DPF?
Old 08-03-2011, 04:48 AM
JK Freak

Mate, am on hol at the mo so on my iPhone but yes, am running a DPF. installing the Tunit is a snip so yes, you should have no probs doing it. Check who sells it near to you. Most distributors will install it for you if required.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:51 AM
JK Freak

Re. The scangauge, I can call up most of what the JK actually outputs in info so check in the manual or on the net what you can get from the ECU regarding engine info. It's a great little gauge and well worth the bucks. It's also less obtrusive than the others and easier to mount.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey thanks! Do not be in a hurry anyway, I will have to get it in the UK or in Italy since here nobody sells it.
Does the scangauge gives you trans temp? That is among my most .... worrisome thoughts
Old 09-17-2011, 12:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by leolito
Hey thanks! Do not be in a hurry anyway, I will have to get it in the UK or in Italy since here nobody sells it.
Does the scangauge gives you trans temp? That is among my most .... worrisome thoughts
If you mean TFT (Transmission Fluid Temperature) then yes as long as your JK is able to provide that info.

Quick Reply: Has anyone chipped or boosted their CRD?