Notices
Hunting & Firearms General discussion forum regarding hunting, rifles and handguns.
View Poll Results: Do you have a CCW?
Yes
77.62%
no
9.32%
cant get one in the state I live in
9.56%
im too young but will get one when im of age
3.50%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have your CCW?

Old 03-22-2010, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I lived in Alaska, I did have my CCL and I did carry. I had to use it once, was justified and congratulated by the LEOs who showed up, and wish I could still carry. Now, living in Wisconsin, we're not allowed to carry legally.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:28 AM
JK Freak

I have my ccw, but haven't chose to carry yet. I've mainly used it to get around the waiting periods and to have the option if/when I decide to.

Though on thinking about it, one of the first rules of the CCW class I took was don't tell people you have a CCW...
Old 03-22-2010, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re: Do you have your CCW?

I do have mine and carry daily.....if you don't take advantage of the rights given to you they are taken away! It's everyones right to carry, everyone should carry!
Old 03-22-2010, 09:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wxjeep
Got mine while I lived in Florida. I think that is probably the easiest state to get it in. I didn't even have to take a course since I am active duty, just needed to provide a copy of my weapons training.
I'd have to say Washington state is probably the easiest. They've been a shall issue state since '61, and don't require any training whatsoever. Just do your paperwork and it's in the mail a few days later.
I was surprised that when I worked in Texas for a while, despite it's reputation, it was quite the ordeal. Lengthy classroom and range training, then the processing backlog was so long that I finally got the permit a week before I moved away! But TX does allow you to have a gun in your vehicle without a permit.

Anyways,
I have mine for a couple of reasons. Guns are a hobby and I wanted to have my permit just to avoid problems in case I ever am carrying a gun to/from someplace or hiking/plinking/hunting, etc., and then you don't have to wait to buy a handgun either.
Also, in my line of work we are usually in rural areas that are often depressed economically. We come in and are outsiders making a lot more money than the locals... Most people welcome us because they know we spend a lot of money in their community for a year or more, but to a few we also become targets of theft and/or vandalism. So I don't always carry on my body, but always have one on the Jeep.
Hopefully it never has to come out.

EDIT:
Oh, one more comment... I'm curious what the results to this poll would be if it weren't in the "hunting & firearms" forum. Obviously most of us who visit this category are the gun-friendly ones.

Last edited by horwitzs; 03-22-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Living in Illinois, I obviously don't have a ccw. However I'm taking the NRA pistol class in May so I can apply for the Florida ccw. My wife and I travel out of state a lot and I ALWAYS take a gun. It would be nice to have available if needed. Not unloaded and in a case in the back.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tommy3rd
i'm from Jersey. nuff' said. :[
i feel your pain. and i work in nyc.

sigh.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a couple of the permits. My home state as well as another that allows non residents to apply. Covered for a bunch of states that way.

It makes transportating a gun either on me or with me a LOT easier than doing the unload-case-lock dance, plus it doubles as a purchase permit in my state.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nope, can't get one in Maryland...
Old 03-31-2010, 11:01 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Full carry, 23 years and counting.

I have mine because I hunt, used to carry a lot of cash for work, I target shoot, and i carry whenever i am not at my current job.

I got it because i wanted it, and I like to shoot guns... especially handguns, it's my hobby and my right.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 03-31-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Got mine about 25 yrs ago, and I now have permits for CO, NV, and UT.

Last edited by zwvirtual; 04-03-2010 at 07:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Do you have your CCW?