Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Antenna Cable Routing

Old 04-29-2009, 06:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna Cable Routing

I see a lot of information about radios and antennas but little about cable routing. In the old days we just drilled through the side or back of the body and ran the cables to the radio - pretty easy. Now people seem to be routing the antenna cable through the door but with the door opening it seems difficult to not have antenna cable hanging out.

How have you all routed your cable so it's not seen? I'm getting my stuff together to install the radio (Midland 75-822) but I'm waiting on my new rear bumper install tomorrow to decide where to mount the antenna and run the cable.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used the Teraflex mount. I also used the Firestick cable with the ring terminal and spade end. This cable was able to fit into the cloth 'tube' that the brake light cable runs in on the hinge side of the tail gate. I then ran the cable along the outer edge of the passenger area and under the passenger door. My cable is not seen and look OEM.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:10 AM
JK Super Freak

I was outside a few minutes ago and wondered if you could run a coax throuh that "tube" and then under the carpet to the console. Thanks. I'm considering a Terra Flex mount as well as the Cool Tech. Once I get the bumper instlaled tomorrow, I may also be able to clamp an antenna mount onto the bumper.

The radio should be here Friday so by then I'll know how I want to run the coax. With help from the gang here.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

The 18' Firestick cable was what I needed to reach from the Teraflex mount to the dash (specifically the radio area). I used the K-8 cable:

After I ran the cable I cut the spade end and replaced it with another ring terminal and secured the ground using the bolts to mount the Teraflex bracket to the tailgate.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:18 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
I see a lot of information about radios and antennas but little about cable routing. In the old days we just drilled through the side or back of the body and ran the cables to the radio - pretty easy. Now people seem to be routing the antenna cable through the door but with the door opening it seems difficult to not have antenna cable hanging out.

How have you all routed your cable so it's not seen? I'm getting my stuff together to install the radio (Midland 75-822) but I'm waiting on my new rear bumper install tomorrow to decide where to mount the antenna and run the cable.
Theres lots of ways. I've run it through the door, but currently run it under. Then under the carpet and plastic from there....pretty easy in the jeep since its all removable.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by NorthGAX
The 18' Firestick cable was what I needed to reach from the Teraflex mount to the dash (specifically the radio area). I used the K-8 cable:

After I ran the cable I cut the spade end and replaced it with another ring terminal and secured the ground using the bolts to mount the Teraflex bracket to the tailgate.
As they say.........Excellent.......
Old 04-29-2009, 01:35 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

With TORN's help, I ran mine under the center console, under the carpet past the rear seat, then to the right side of the vehicle and out along the cable bundle at the tailgate hinge point. We pulled off the tailgate access panel (big plastic thing the width of the tailgate) and ran it along the bundle with zip-ties. We next pulled off the vent panel on the tailgate and ran it through the rubber seal to the outside of the Jeep along with the wires for the third brake light. Here's that last part (homemade mount, BTW):

Old 04-29-2009, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks. That looks great. It sounds like I'll be doing something similar. Once I know if I'm mounting the antenna on the new rear bumper (tomorrow) I'll get the antenna, coax and mounting kit. It will either go on the bumper with a clamp mount or on the tailgate beneath the rear light assembly, on the spare tire mount (Tera Flex) or ?.

Thanks all.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you dont have carpet, where are you running the cable?
Old 05-24-2009, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

i made a bracket to hold my cb over the rear view mirror and ran my coax under the roll bar covers straight to the back and through the hole in the tail gate. you would never know it was there unless someone told you. only took me about 15 minutes

Quick Reply: Antenna Cable Routing