Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

Here is where you should mount your CB and HAM antennas on your Jeep

Old 07-20-2012, 04:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

James,

You don't really need to bond at VHF+. It only becomes important below 30MHz.

nwmotogeek,

Yes, get it high and in the clear. If you're talking about CB, and I presume you are, for optimal performance you'll need to ensure your cargo cage is making metal-on-metal contact with the rest of the Jeep. I mean, you can just clamp the antenna and mount to the rack, go forth and conquer. But if you want to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of the install, making sure everything is grounded will help.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 07-23-2012, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

There are a ton of Antenna choices! How do I pick a good dual band antenna to mount to the hood?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-23-2012, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nwmotogeek
There are a ton of Antenna choices! How do I pick a good dual band antenna to mount to the hood?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
I got my Comet SS 680 SB mounted yesterday. It is receiving very well. No real TX yet. Pretty low profile, blends right in.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1585258620.jpg
Views:	1216
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	344523  
Old 07-25-2012, 12:31 AM
JK Newbie

I've got mine on the cowl and it works fine. I was actually thinking of where else would be a better area for me to place the antenna but your writeup is a confirmation that I already got a good place there. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:22 PM
JK Freak

Default Go big or go home

I would think that where you mount your antenna might be influenced by:
- what do you use your Jeep for. Hitting the highway versus hitting the trail.
- how will having an antenna there influence what you use your Jeep for. Keep you out of garages, low hanging trees or the drive-through.
- what is your antenna used for (CB, HAM, Cell boost, multi). This along with the next item will determine the size and shape of your antenna system.
- what range are you transmitting. Going from a 4' to an 8' might let you transmit an extra mile (4W CB). Is it worth the hassle?
- what direction are you transmitting? Usually front-back on highway but maybe side-side on twisty trails.
- what is the shape and placement of your counterpoise (metal ground plane or vehicle body)? Jeep has a low tub and non-metalic top making rear mount ideal.
- and remember... size matters.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CartmanGetsanAnalProbe20.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	345475  
Old 08-03-2012, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

Default RF and PCM ????

I want to cowl mount a 146/440 antenna and I've yet to see anyone discuss whether 50 watts on 2 meters with cowl mounted antenna might affect the powertrain control module. Anyone have any expertise in this area?
Old 08-06-2012, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jk-john
I want to cowl mount a 146/440 antenna and I've yet to see anyone discuss whether 50 watts on 2 meters with cowl mounted antenna might affect the powertrain control module. Anyone have any expertise in this area?
I run a 45 watt UHF and 30 watt VHF with no issues. The last time we saw an issue with a radio interfering with a car computer was a good 15-20 years ago when computers ran in the 150 MHZ range. I used to have a computer on my tech bench and every time I keyed up it shut down the chip. But since I’m moved to processors above a GHz I have had no problems. I think you will be OK, but if your really worried about it setup your radio and drive on a deserted road and key up.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

My 50 watt 2M Kenwood w/cowl-mount antenna never gave me a bit of trouble in my Dakota, and I don't expect it to do so in the JK. Actually, now as I think about it, my 110 watt 2M amp never gave me any problem in my '81 VW Rabbit either.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I've run 50w rigs in other vehicles but with roof mag mounts. Wasn't sure since this is my first Jeep. One of the other local hams suggested I should check on the RFI problem. I was planning to use the windshield light mounts and I'm finding I may have to do some ground bonding. Seems the windshield frame ain't grounded well, but I'll get around this. (not wanting to put visible holes in her just yet) (bank owns it and just lets me drive it) Oh yeah...I realize this may not be the best spot but it's what I'm gonna try.
I'll let y'all know how it works out.
73 de AJ4AT
Old 08-07-2012, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

my 2m/440 is cowl mounted with a Diamond lip mount no issues so far.

Here is the thread I posted some pictures in

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-c...nstall-230151/

Quick Reply: Here is where you should mount your CB and HAM antennas on your Jeep