Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Best Battery?

Old 08-27-2011, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Battery?

This week I installed a winch and 7 lights on my rig. I still have the stock battery.

I don't really want to install a second battery, but would like to get a good single.

I was thinking of going dry-cell.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-27-2011, 09:47 AM
JK Freak

i just got a red top optima, it works fine and i have a RR light bar with 5 lights, u cant really tell if one battery is better then another because theres no way to compare them other than what the manufacturer tells u, but the batter i got came with a 3yr warranty so thats good
Old 08-27-2011, 11:08 AM
JK Super Freak

I run on Optima Yellow top because it's a deep cycle battery. I have read of people running red tops for multiple years with good results. Some people will tell you Die Hard Platinum marine grade series and they are good and another good deep cycle battery. Honestly anything over OEM is better.

Good luck.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Overland Journal did a battery review last year. The Sears DieHard Platinum faired well, and comes with a super warranty. The Yellow Top Optima also did well, and they made special mention for those who wheel in rough areas--vibration is well-known for killing a battery early. There's an old thread where a member was stuck in Death Valley. Way out in the middle of nowhere and he posted seeking help once he got back to civilization (the Jeep still stuck a couple hundred miles from anywhere). He ended up with a tow truck driver who told him that he does a lot of rescues out this particular washboard road: The vibration kills batteries. Optima batteries have special design features to provide additional protection for such use.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I went with a YellowTop. Odyssey/Sears Diehard Platinum, Exide/Orbital, Northstar are others to look into.

And there are several dozen battery threads to read through also. Very popular question.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

have run Optima on previous Jeeps, will run Optima on this one when time comes.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Your battery isnt really the issue, you need a high output alternator. The battery just starts the car and absorbs voltage spikes once the car is running
Old 08-27-2011, 01:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have sold batteries of all shapes and sizes over the past 20+ years in the auto parts business and I can tell you that over the years it has always come down to these questions: how often do you drive it, how do you drive it, and how much do you want to spend? If you buy your battery from a national chain (AutoZone or O'Reilly's) your warranty will cover whatever happens. If you use the electronics of the vehicle without it running you should get a deep cycle. If you know you will be off-roading with a lot of vibration you should get an Optima. Anything else, just go for a battery with the highest CCA rating.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:43 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JKX08
Your battery isnt really the issue, you need a high output alternator. The battery just starts the car and absorbs voltage spikes once the car is running
Just so everyone knows: The 07 JKs had a 170 amp alternator, IIRC. Later years have a 140 amp. There is at least one company that makes a larger one as part of an onboard welding setup ... 210 amps I think. They sell it seperately.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Optima all the way. Especially if you offroad or plan to.

Quick Reply: Best Battery?