Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Kicker CRV8 in factory subwoofer enclosure install.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GCONDA
If you want to keep stock radio mopar has a set of Boston caustic speakers that drop right in and are at 2ohms. Kicker also makes an upgrade 6.5 set t 2 ohms also. The parts guy at my dealership said the Boston were superior to the kicks and sounded way better. If you do a search you can find the thread on them. I just ordered mine for $30 each. I pik them up on wednsday and will post results that night.
Thanks...I'll look into those Boston Caustics...... (Acoustic? I know other Chrysler vehicles use Boston Acoustic speakers....never thought of trying those)
I didn't know the Kickers were 2 ohms. I had been wondering about that.

Last edited by panthermark; 10-28-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Pretty sure the Kicker replacement speakers (77KICK10) are 4 Ohm.

Also, i can tell you right now, you will not be happy with the aftermarket 2 ohm infinity's. That was my first upgrade. You will get clearer highs, but that's all you get. The aftermarket infinity's had no low end and the mid range was very poor.

My previous set up, that was a disappointment.
- Infinity Kappa 652.9i, 2 ohm, Sound bar (Link to Kappa Install)
- Infinity Kappa 653.9i, 2 ohm, Dash

My current setup that i love. (Link to Polk Install)
- Polk Audio DXi 6500, 4 ohm, Dash & Tweeters.
- Polk Audio DXi 650S, 4 ohm, Soundbar.
- Kicker CVR82 8” Subwoofer, 1 ohm
Old 10-29-2012, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the input...

Yeah...I keep getting mixed messages on the Kicker 6.5's.

At this point, I'll probably just email Kicker.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by aaron97

Also, i can tell you right now, you will not be happy with the aftermarket 2 ohm infinity's. That was my first upgrade. You will get clearer highs, but that's all you get. The aftermarket infinity's had no low end and the mid range was very poor.

I have OEM 430N and was thinking of adding kappa's, Aaron97 what ohms do you this the stock unit is running and do you think if I add these +dynomat would yield good sound results?
Old 10-30-2012, 07:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Response from Kicker:

Hi,

The 77Kick10 is a 4 ohm 6.5 with a rated frequency response of 40 Hz – 21 KHz. They can handle 6-65 watts RMS and have a sensitivity of 90 dB.

The Mopar branded amps are designed to run at 4 ohm on the multi-channel and ½ ohm or 1 ohm on the sub amps/channels. The 8 channel amp that we use in premium audio Jeep Wranglers is rated at 368 watts.

Thank you,
-------
So, it is confirmed. 77Kick10 drop-ins are 4 ohms.

Crap....this means I need a new amp, or will have to go Infinty, or will have to run 4 ohm speakers on 2 ohm amp which will cut my output in half.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by panthermark
Response from Kicker:

Hi,

The 77Kick10 is a 4 ohm 6.5 with a rated frequency response of 40 Hz – 21 KHz. They can handle 6-65 watts RMS and have a sensitivity of 90 dB.

The Mopar branded amps are designed to run at 4 ohm on the multi-channel and ½ ohm or 1 ohm on the sub amps/channels. The 8 channel amp that we use in premium audio Jeep Wranglers is rated at 368 watts.

Thank you,
-------
So, it is confirmed. 77Kick10 drop-ins are 4 ohms.

Crap....this means I need a new amp, or will have to go Infinty, or will have to run 4 ohm speakers on 2 ohm amp which will cut my output in half.

So if I upgraded from a 130RES to a 430N RHB should or I guess can I upgrade the OEM amp to a higher wattage OEM infinity or Kicker amp that is plug and play. I have seen on here where folks have swapped out amps for a nitro or liberty amp but that may have been on 07-10 models.

Last edited by Imoutdoorsy; 10-30-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Imoutdoorsy
So if I upgraded from a 130RES to a 430N RHB should or I guess can I upgrade the OEM amp to a higher wattage OEM infinity or Kicker amp that is plug and play. I have seen on here where folks have swapped out amps for a nitro or liberty amp but that may have been on 07-10 models.
I don't think the Nitro or Liberty amps had higher wattage....they just didn't have the rear speakers cut back so much (sound bar).

I replyed back to Kicker and got a 2nd response:

We do have an amp for 2011 and up Jeep Wranglers with premium audio. It is the 77KCK056. It is a 368 watt high speed CAN 8 channel amplifier designed for the 2 and 4 door Wrangler. What we recommend for a 2011 and newer Wrangler 4 door is:

(1) 77KCK056 Amplifier

(2) 77KICK10’s Dash and Sound Bar 6.5’s

(1) 77KCK052 10” 200 watt Powered Subwoofer

We do not have an option for maintaining the factory Infinity Subwoofer. I understand what you are looking for, and it may be an option if you had Base Model Audio. Our 4.1 amplifier for Base Model Wranglers has a 5th channel for signal to a sub amplifier, or 100 watts of power output at a 1 ohm load. It will not work in a Wrangler with Premium Audio like yours. I pretty sure that the factory radio operates on High Speed CAN data bus, and it must be used with a High Speed CAN amplifier. We do not have details on exactly why the 4.1 won’t work in your Wrangler. We found that the Base Model Amp wouldn’t work, so we developed a Premium model amp. With our Premium Amp installed we take signal from the left front speaker to drive the input of our Powered Subwoofer. We don’t know if it
will work to drive the amp on the Infinity Subwoofer.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok. The alpine premium speakers are 2 ohm. They look nice have a blue poly cone , not paper. I installed the Boston acoustic speakers in all four locations and my system sounds great. Crisp. Louder and cleaner. The Boston's do have a paper cone but sound amazing
Old 11-05-2012, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by aaron97

Aaron97-
Are you running any amps with your current setup?

I'm looking at almost the same setup;
-Polk 6501 for the front
-Polk 651 for the rear
With an undecided 8 in factory the factory spot.

But was going to push everything mids/highs with a 4 channel and mono for the sub.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

would love to hear anyone's thoughts on the polks vs the 77kick10's performance, too..

Quick Reply: Kicker CRV8 in factory subwoofer enclosure install.