Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Problem with radio

Old 11-22-2006, 03:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine also does this when closing two windows ---

It has done since day one. If I put up two windows at the same time, when the windows hit the top of the frame and bed in, the radio reboots. I am guessing that the extra power drawn by the window motors at that moment when the windows stop moving causes just enough of a power drop that the radio no longer has enough juice to continue functioning.

It is a tad annoying, and I would really like to hear what a dealer has to say about the issue.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

I'm in the same boat as you. happend twice the other day when putting both windows down.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Exclamation Update on problem with radio

Apparently the wire harness for the radio(?) was not fully plugged in. This isn't the first time on this jeep that something wasn't fully plugged in, just two days after buying the jeep our engine light came on and we found out that an 'OS sensor' wasn't snapped together (?). Don't get me wrong overall the jeep is great, it is just these "little" problems that arise that makes me think the factory should be double checking their quality control.

Jeep Wave to all.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:27 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey LynDi, thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear your problem was something so simple and easy to fix but man, that really is stupid Hopefully, that'll be the last of your boogers to deal with.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
Quadratec Rep

Unhappy

My air bag sensor wasn't plugged all the way in... the dealer had to take the passeger seat and console out...

With the Charging System & ETC issues I've had, the dealer had to flash the computer (TSB NOV 18)
Old 11-27-2006, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey LynDi, any problems since the visit to the dealer? (Just in case they couldn't reproduce the problem and gave you a story)
Old 11-28-2006, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Archer, funny you would ask that... Just a week ago I took the JK into the dealer for the radio problem. My hubby and I thought (key word thought) the problem with it was fixed, but just this past weekend the same things started happening again as before; radio shutting off for a sec or two when in reverse or shifting into first. Needless to say we are in the same boat as before:sad: . SO I will be taking it back Friday morning.

By the way nice to see another person from Wyoming. I might be living in CO but the heart still belongs to Wyoming.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

Default TSB for radio cutout

LynDi -

If you go back to the dealer for the radio cutout issue, make sure he perfroms the TSB that flashes the engine controller.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

It snowed here and I was playing, if I jam on the brakes and the ABS kicks in for more then a couple of seconds the radio will shut off. Let off the brakes and it comes right back on.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wonder if we need to change the power supply to the radio to avoid voltage drops from other electrical equipment. It sounds like they are running too many electrical components through one circuit. I wonder if anyone who's fortunate enough to already own their Jeep, and is having this problem can troubleshoot for the rest of us. I recommend getting a multimeter, and checking the voltage at the power outlet in the center of the dash, then do whatever it is you do to cause the problem while a passenger watches the volts. See if we are getting a significant voltage drop in the system. It may uncover the cause for the radio dropping out.

Once the Mygig comes out, it's going to become a much bigger annoyance when your nav system shuts down, then has to wait to reboot.

Since I'm going for a Pioneer AVIC-Z1, I think I'll avoid this whole issue by running a different power wire for the radio.

Tom
Bryson City, NC

Quick Reply: Problem with radio