Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

uConnect mic / Aftermarket mic position

Old 05-02-2009, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to Jack the thread but I want to install this too but my Jeep doesn't have the MyGig and is marked REQ on the bottom right face. It'a a 2008 Sahara.
Will I be able to purchase/install a Mic and have it programmed? Also do the stealerships charge to program this. Oh... I'm currently using a simple AUX cable for my I-Pod. Will the re-program of the head unit change anything?
Thanks guys!
Old 05-03-2009, 11:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
where is the memo feature? I don't think I have ever seen it? I am still running 9.715 though... maybe I don't have it?

Hey offroadme, you have a photo of the mic you soldered on? Any info on it?
Don't know on the previous software, but just press the uconnect button and say memo.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:56 AM
JK Newbie

Does anyone have photos (real photos, not a diagram) of how to take apart the dash? I've searched and didn't find anything. I'm a "show me, don't tell me" kind of learner.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

I ordered the mic but do not have it yet but from what I thought you do not have to take the dash apart only the black top part over the radio then reach in behind it and plug the mic in.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BrettFL
I ordered the mic but do not have it yet but from what I thought you do not have to take the dash apart only the black top part over the radio then reach in behind it and plug the mic in.
I don't think you can reach behind with just top black thingy off. I can't see how your hand can get behind and plug the harness. Taking apart the front is not that hard anyway... remove Top black plate. Remove bottom plate. remove 2 screws each behind top and bottom plate. pry open/pull with little force the face cover and remove remaining 4 screws to get the radio out. I may have pics somewhere on my lappy..If I find I'll post it. Actually coastaletech has a video of mygig lockpick installation on their site that shows exactly how to open the radio.

Last edited by johnkay; 05-14-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:08 PM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jkJenny
Does anyone have photos (real photos, not a diagram) of how to take apart the dash? I've searched and didn't find anything. I'm a "show me, don't tell me" kind of learner.
go to youtube and search for wrangler lockpick install
Old 05-21-2009, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by johnkay
I don't think you can reach behind with just top black thingy off. I can't see how your hand can get behind and plug the harness. Taking apart the front is not that hard anyway... remove Top black plate. Remove bottom plate. remove 2 screws each behind top and bottom plate. pry open/pull with little force the face cover and remove remaining 4 screws to get the radio out. I may have pics somewhere on my lappy..If I find I'll post it. Actually coastaletech has a video of mygig lockpick installation on their site that shows exactly how to open the radio.
Yep your correct you must take the entire dash center stack cover off and pull out the MyGig. This was not hard at all but took me longer then it should have after I dropped the first socket I pulled out that was one size too small I dropped it and I saw it bounce off the center console but will probably never see it again. I spent about 30 minutes looking all over under and between seats and floors and on and on. I think it fell down in/under the dash where I poped off the cover that has the little mesh elastic thing on it. I gave up on it maybe it will show up some day.
The Mic works great and was no problem setting up.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a BlackBerry Bold, MyGig Nav, and a factory mic and mine sucks. Everyone complains about it when I use it. I have to crank the volume on the radio waaay up so they can hear me. I need to play with the mic placement I guess. I don't ever use it anymore because it sucks so badly. This is on a stock '08 Rubicon hardtop with the windows all rolled up and the top on. I've never bothered with the top off or the windows down.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Atl JK
I have a BlackBerry Bold, MyGig Nav, and a factory mic and mine sucks. Everyone complains about it when I use it. I have to crank the volume on the radio waaay up so they can hear me. I need to play with the mic placement I guess. I don't ever use it anymore because it sucks so badly. This is on a stock '08 Rubicon hardtop with the windows all rolled up and the top on. I've never bothered with the top off or the windows down.
Have you tried turning up the bluetooth volume on the phone? I had a similar issue with my iPhone 3G, people said I was hard to hear and I couldn't hear others well. Then one time while I was on a call, I took the phone and turned up the "headset" volume, and suddenly they caller was louder and they said they could hear me better. Defintely worth a try.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jkJenny
monday i finally installed my lockpick. i've read it several times b4 on the forum, but i will give u my advice and say it again... BE CAREFUL WITH THE PLASTIC, it scratches very easily! Good Luck

Quick Reply: uConnect mic / Aftermarket mic position