Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Manual or Automatic transmission

Old 07-20-2010, 09:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this is an individual choice. If its a daily driver in much stop and go traffic, a auto is the way to go. Another question is: who else will be driving it? Can they drive a manual? There are a lot of factors that go into each person's decision. I personally don't like a manual on a regular basis. I do like it in a big vehicle 3/4 ton and up. Just my opinion.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like manuals for the feel of it. With the clutch out, you have a great sense for when things slip. Much better in the snow.

That being said, I drove the FIL's manual JKU, and the shifter shakes like mad over bumps. There is a thread on here that you can search for. I found it to be annoying, and it may push me towards auto.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I say it depends on the wheeling you are doing. if you want control in the rocks/inclines i say auto...you dont have three feet and its a pita to roll back off an obstacle you just progressed on to. my .02
Old 07-20-2010, 05:28 PM
JK Freak

I say Auto cuz I'm a lazy mothafucka!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Freak

I had the same dilemma when I was hunting for my JK. I've always preferred a manual trans until this one. To me, the auto was the best choice because around here, we have alot of deep mud and water on the trails. At Windrock, I was glad I had an auto when I dropped off a ledge in a 2 1/2 ft mud pit and came to a complete stop. With a manual trans, i would have had to be pulled out because you should never depress the clutch when you're in water. Another reason I prefer an auto, is I really like hiking and mountain biking. If i tear up one of my legs, I would like to be able drive myself to the hospital rather than call somebody to pick me up.

A manual trans is more fun imo, not to mention you don't have to worry about tearing the driveshaft boot if you lift it.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For rock crawling and serious trail work:

The advantage with a manual shines no brighter than on steep descents.

Most people will find an auto easier to drive on technical, rocky, slow speed climbs; you simply have more control, there is no risk of stalling, etc.

A manual can be nearly as good uphill, but you need lots of gear reduction (e.g. 4:1 t-case + 4.88s or higher numerically).

For nearly everything else including the daily commute:

Pick what you like.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:21 PM
JK Newbie

Default Manual!! Gimme the shifter!

Searched for 6 speed for two months... If a dealer has 50 Jeep Unlimiteds on the lot, 45 are automatics. Unbelievable. I waited until I found the 6 speed. I drove an auto and it seemed sluggish to me... Plus, who ever heard of a Chrysler automatic tranny lasting?

There's so much that can go wrong with an automatic and they are difficult for the average mechanic to repair. Any decent gearhead can replace a clutch disk and a pressure plate with relative ease. Pulling the driveshafts and transfer case isn't normally too difficult either. Bear in mind, I've only worked on the YJs... my 2010 is under warranty for five years! I ain't touching anything!
Old 07-20-2010, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on how you will use it.

I love my 6 speed... except when I hit the sand. It (soft sand) sucks up so much momentum between shifts it can actually make it a bit of a pain... I love to surf fishing but it is an added challenge to drive on the beach with a manual.

You also need to consider the related items. Lockers are important and give better control with a manual. if I were not going to have a rear locker - i would purchase and auto.

As for the earing talked about above - it is true but again, pick your gears based on what you want to do with the jeep (tires and activities). If you plan to really use it off road, wouldn't go higher the 4.10.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TimmiT
I like manuals for the feel of it. With the clutch out, you have a great sense for when things slip. Much better in the snow.

That being said, I drove the FIL's manual JKU, and the shifter shakes like mad over bumps. There is a thread on here that you can search for. I found it to be annoying, and it may push me towards auto.
You know, the "shake" is my favorite part of the transmission! It's refined, but still feels like a Jeep should. I let someone drive it and they mentioned the shaking stick and asked how I could stand it. I smirked and said, "It's a Jeep thing... (everyone with me) You wouldn't understand."
Old 07-20-2010, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

manual all the way...you get a better feel of your jeep with a manual offroad...

Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic transmission