Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Manual or Automatic transmission

Old 07-26-2010, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the auto in my new 2010 JKU. I test drove both extensively. I took the Jeep on the beach for the first time this past weekend and am happy I went with the auto. The added benefits of having the manual just wouldn't be realized for what I'm doing.

Although I do love to drive manual transmission, I personally didn't feel it was a right fit for the JKU.

Overall, its a matter of personal preference.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:45 AM
JK Newbie

A manual keeps your mind and body more active too which helps when you're tired. So is the consensus that a manual is more fun to drive street and an automatic is easier to drive off road? How to get the best of both worlds?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toober
A manual keeps your mind and body more active too which helps when you're tired. So is the consensus that a manual is more fun to drive street and an automatic is easier to drive off road? How to get the best of both worlds?
An automatic helps keep you awake by constantly kicking in and out of OD.

The only thing I hate about an auto offroad is getting hung up in the sand or mud and not being able to "rock" it back and forth as easy as you can with a clutch. It feels like I'm killing it when I have to shift from reverse to drive to reverse. Other than that no complaints.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Has no one mentioned that there have been no reports of a manual transmission catching on fire from over-heating?

Just a thought. I got mine because it was the cheapest.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My JK is auto, but every now and again I wish I bought the manual.. However, the auto works for me.. I do a lot of city driving and manual would suck in traffic.. I would suggest that if you are doing mostly city driving, to get the auto.. If you're gonna be off road, and doing mostly rural/ light city driving, a manual would be more fun.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jharpphoto
I didn't know a manual would start w/o using the clutch. That was one of my main concerns about getting a manual. Will all manual transmissions do that?
ONLY in 4LO

If you have to start the Jeep in deep water, you can dot it without using the clutch (very important)
Old 07-26-2010, 08:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by o09jkny
My JK is auto, but every now and again I wish I bought the manual.. However, the auto works for me.. I do a lot of city driving and manual would suck in traffic.. I would suggest that if you are doing mostly city driving, to get the auto.. If you're gonna be off road, and doing mostly rural/ light city driving, a manual would be more fun.
I concur with you. As a daily driver in traffic, a manual would get old. As a weekend toy, manual all the way.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I opt for the auto but manual is great too!

I've been wheeln' for almost over 15 years and currently have both. From the stand point of off-road nothing brings peace to a huge hill climb better than an auto trans. The same goes for down hill with a manual. If you gear your jeep properly an auto will still work good going down really steep hills as long as you put it in 1st gear. Its a huge toss up, I love both, a manual feels sportier and an auto takes a lot of stress out. I started off with a manual years ago and now my 4 door JK has an auto. I find myself going back to the auto more often, I guess im getting old. Good luck, you wont go wrong either way!

Ps if you get a manual I highly recommend getting a line lock, its works amazing.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RRCP08JK
I concur with you. As a daily driver in traffic, a manual would get old. As a weekend toy, manual all the way.
Or just stay outta southern California

I've been in traffic a few times, not very often however. It does suck, but the 5% of the time I'm actually in traffic doesn't bother me.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnnyj33p
I've been wheeln' for almost over 15 years and currently have both. From the stand point of off-road nothing brings peace to a huge hill climb better than an auto trans. The same goes for down hill with a manual. If you gear your jeep properly an auto will still work good going down really steep hills as long as you put it in 1st gear. Its a huge toss up, I love both, a manual feels sportier and an auto takes a lot of stress out. I started off with a manual years ago and now my 4 door JK has an auto. I find myself going back to the auto more often, I guess im getting old. Good luck, you wont go wrong either way!

Ps if you get a manual I highly recommend getting a line lock, its works amazing.
JK has the built in hill assist that works awesome on the rocks!

Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic transmission