Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Manual or Automatic transmission

Old 07-20-2010, 07:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual or Automatic transmission

I am in the market for a new JK and wanted to get the general consensus on manual vs auto transmission. Who prefers what and why?
Old 07-20-2010, 07:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Default Manual!!!

I personally prefer the manual transmission, not just in the JK, but just in general for all of my cars. I like the control that I have with it over an automatic; its usually cheaper to buy a car with a manual transmission; you "supposedly" get better gas mileage (not that this is really a high MPG car anyway), and lastly, this might sound cliche', but I just feel like I'm "driving" my car more with a manual as opposed to just "going somewhere" with an automatic.

...just my 2 cents. Good luck in your purchase!
Old 07-20-2010, 07:37 AM
JK Freak

sometimes i wish i would of got a manual transmission. (mostly when off road). but then most of the time i am glad i got an auto.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:40 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my 6 spd! The only thing I hate about it is that I have had to adjust the emergency brake lots more than any manual Tranny vehicle I have owned.....
Old 07-20-2010, 07:45 AM
JK Jedi

I love my 6 spd! I love that fact you can pick your gears you want, downshift if you need some extra grunt. For off-roading I enjoy it more than the automatic Cherokees I have owned. I am fortunate that I don't live in a big city with lots of traffic so the 6spd is not an issue in bumper to bumper traffic. If I was consistently in bumper to bumper traffic I may have considered an automatic.

The only thing I hate about the 6spd is I have had to adjust the emergency brake way to many times...more than any manual Tranny vehicle I have owned..... As my JKU has had a tendency to roll back on inclines....but it's not a big issue.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

For 20 years I owned/drove nothing but standard trannys; until the JKU. I don't regret buying the Auto
Old 07-20-2010, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
I love my 6 spd! I love that fact you can pick your gears you want, downshift if you need some extra grunt. For off-roading I enjoy it more than the automatic Cherokees I have owned. I am fortunate that I don't live in a big city with lots of traffic so the 6spd is not an issue in bumper to bumper traffic. If I was consistently in bumper to bumper traffic I may have considered an automatic.

The only thing I hate about the 6spd is I have had to adjust the emergency brake way to many times...more than any manual Tranny vehicle I have owned..... As my JKU has had a tendency to roll back on inclines....but it's not a big issue.
i love my 6 spd and the same thing with my e-brake.. weird i think lol
Old 07-20-2010, 08:21 AM
JK Freak

Generally, automatics are easier (I didn't say better) to wheel with because you don't have three feet. Also, in some vehicles, the torque converter/auto combo yields more low end torque than a manual option.

That being said, IMO the manual is the way to go in the JK.

1) the automatic in the JK sucks engine power, and our V6 isn't that strong to begin with.
2) low end gearing is vastly superior in the manual
3) better mileage, if you can keep your enthusiasm under control
4) reliability (though the clutch may be a weak point)
5) control. The JK auto tends to hunt for gears sometimes, which usually has to do with lack of power.
6) again due to the gearing, you don't have to gear the differentials as low, which results in stronger pinion gears v tire size. Also, you can make due easier with crappy gearing if you don't have the cash right when you get your larger tires.
7) fun. it's just a lot more enjoyable to drive a manual JK than auto.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:36 AM
JK Junkie

Manual

More power to the ground
More fun to drive
I don't spend much/if any time in traffic
I prefer the "added challenge" off-road
Eats up larger tire sizes without "forcing" a regear
3.8L, imo, runs much better with the more forward ratios.

I generally like driving a manual. I think you are either a manual person, or not
Old 07-20-2010, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

manual, the 4-lo crawl is amazing. So much control off road. Also as was said earlier not having to force a regear is nice with the larger tires.

Quick Reply: Manual or Automatic transmission