Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

wait for a Rubi...?

Old 01-13-2011, 08:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

difference between x and rubi

-d44 front axel - if you are going to run 37 and wheel moderately you will eventually need this!!!!
-Lockers front and rear- means all four wheels can turn all the time
-4 to 1 transfer case... lower range for crawling
-electronic sway bar disconnects you can get a manual disconnect installed on the x
-4.10 gears vs. 3.73 or 3.21

If you are going to run 37s you will have to regear both because you will want 5.13 or 5.38s if you buy the rubicon.

a lifted x will go most places a stock rubi will go and a stock rubi will go most places a lifted x will go. with the lifted x you will have more ground clearance but with the rubi you will have lockers. if you dont plan on wheeling hard you will never need the lockers so just go with an x and upgrade as you go.

If you want to wheel hard and rock crawl buy the rubi now and lift it later
Old 01-13-2011, 08:37 PM
JK Freak

I went with the Rubi from the get go and havent looked back. Love it and wouldn't want anything else.
Old 01-14-2011, 03:55 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No Jeep is factory equipped with gears to properly run 37s. You'd need to upgrade with either. Are you going to buy an auto or manual?
Old 01-14-2011, 04:21 AM
JK Freak

If you are going to do big rubber, you will need to re-gear. These are the kinds of questions that you need to ask

The guys on the forum are not shy about their opinions - right or wrong

But if you read enough you will
1) become addicted to the forum
2)learn a lot about jeeps and build options
and 3) change your mind about what to mod next every night

Don't rely on this thread. Keep ready - you're not the first to ask the question.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:28 AM
JK Freak

After buying my Sahara I thought maybe I should have gotten the Rubi. But to be honest after changing out the parts that I have I am content that I didn't. The stock rubi still has advantages over my modified Sahara but my Sahara has some advantages over a stock Rubi. And for the things I do in the jeep I am better off with my setup than a stock Rubi. But I don't rock crawl,,, I'm in a trail and mud area.

But REALLY!!!! The Rubi will ONLY go places a X or Sahara won't IF the driver is willing to take it there.

And before I get beat to pieces I better say that this is only MY opinion.

Last edited by hdrider; 01-14-2011 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:28 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hdrider

But REALLY!!!! The Rubi will ONLY go places a X or Sahara won't IF the driver is willing to take it there.

And before I get beat to pieces I better say that this is only MY opinion.
Agreed. Most people won't push it to it's limits. On this same idea, I did see a 2011 Cherokee(stock) doing some impressive stuff off road.. Like fording 30" of water and Lifting tires off the ground constantly but it always kept chugging. Impressive.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:11 AM
him
JK Enthusiast

Personally, I think it's easy to come at this question backwards. We get hung up on the technical differences sometimes when they aren't always what matter.

First, you should know what makes you happy. Whether you are a builder or a driver, a "what I've done" or a "what I've own", a "sleeper" or an "in your face" person.... you should already know that and can make a decision about which vehicle would make you happiest.

Now the other question... is it better to wait?

My take is, "Not another summer."

A month or two? Wait, no worries. A year? You only get so many summers. Only so much time to take the top off and enjoy life. Whatever benefits the rubi may give you (and I bought one/think they are valid) are pretty small potatoes compared to going out to find the sun shining and the dirt waiting and you not having a jeep at all.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by him

A month or two? Wait, no worries. A year? You only get so many summers. Only so much time to take the top off and enjoy life. Whatever benefits the rubi may give you (and I bought one/think they are valid) are pretty small potatoes compared to going out to find the sun shining and the dirt waiting and you not having a jeep at all.
WELL SAID!!! I agree 100%
Old 01-14-2011, 11:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by him
Personally, I think it's easy to come at this question backwards. We get hung up on the technical differences sometimes when they aren't always what matter.

First, you should know what makes you happy. Whether you are a builder or a driver, a "what I've done" or a "what I've own", a "sleeper" or an "in your face" person.... you should already know that and can make a decision about which vehicle would make you happiest.

Yes i know that is a good point! i am dieing to own one!...its like a wave crashed into me and its all i think about! all my spare reading...youtube watching is about jeeps! i just want to make the best decision for my situation!...but i know i am going to welcome this as a healthy aspect of my life and will "get serious" about it the more time goes on.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you plan on going to either 35's or 37's i would go for the rubi. If you plan on 33's go for the sport and use the extra cash towards lift tires, rock rails, and whatever else you may want

Quick Reply: wait for a Rubi...?