Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 08-29-2016, 02:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Pats fan
I just got the new Quadratec catalog and it has a brand new Smittybilt Safari style top. It actually looks pretty damn good, and the price is reasonable. I'll be looking into it for sure.
I've been asked a few times about the Smittybilt's new "Safari Top", several people even asked if I had anything to do with the design. I had nothing to do with it, and aside from a similar name and four Alpine windows it's very different than my Safari Cab design. Some of the differences...

- It's one piece, not modular. The sides are not removable and it doesn't have the option of roll-up soft sides.

- The side windows don't open.

- It's got a hatch in the rear, not a barn door. No windows on either side of the hatch either.

- No rear wiper.

- There are no drip rails protecting the doors from runoff.

- According to the Smittybilt web site, the JKU version weighs 320 lbs.

None of the above is meant to be a criticism, I'm just pointing out the differences - it's really not at all like my design.

They did hit a reasonable price point, so if people like the styling and limited set of features it offers, and can deal with the one-piece/320-lb. design, it may be a good option for them.

I saw it last fall at the SEMA show, here are a few photos I took there.

On the SEMA top, the Alpine windows were plastic. Hopefully they've changed them to glass, because the plastic will scratch but will also probably cloud over time, the same as many headlight lenses do these days.

Last edited by jscherb; 08-29-2016 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jscherb
I've been asked a few times about the Smittybilt's new "Safari Top", several people even asked if I had anything to do with the design. I had nothing to do with it, and aside from a similar name and four Alpine windows it's very different than my Safari Cab design. Some of the differences...

- It's one piece, not modular. The sides are not removable and it doesn't have the option of roll-up soft sides.

- The side windows don't open.

- It's got a hatch in the rear, not a barn door. No windows on either side of the hatch either.

- No rear wiper.

- There are no drip rails protecting the doors from runoff.

- According to the Smittybilt web site, the JKU version weighs 320 lbs.

None of the above is meant to be a criticism, I'm just pointing out the differences - it's really not at all like my design.

They did hit a reasonable price point, so if people like the styling and limited set of features it offers, and can deal with the one-piece/320-lb. design, it may be a good option for them.
Having looked at the installation instructions, that Smittybilt Safari Top definitely looks like something you install once and leave on for as long as you own your Jeep. I personally don't like it simply because there's zero modularity to it, not even freedom tops. So once you put it on, your Jeep becomes a regular SUV with the only air coming in through the windows. I wish they would have taken some of your design cues and adopted them to their top.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Smiity Built may be lacking in several areas, BUT - it's available now, and will appeal to those who want a hardtop for Security reasons. Price affordable ?
When is the Modular Hardtop in this thread going to be available ? What will it cost ?
The Silver Lining is that DIY people can make their own, thanks to the detailed instructions and pix.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Four Low
The Smiity Built may be lacking in several areas, BUT - it's available now, and will appeal to those who want a hardtop for Security reasons. Price affordable ?
I think it's about $2800 for the JKU, the 2dr version is a few hundred less. Plus shipping.

Originally Posted by Four Low
When is the Modular Hardtop in this thread going to be available ? What will it cost ?
I don't plan for my JK Safari Cab to become a commercial product.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, too bad because I'd be interested in getn one for my 2 door jscherb. Amazing work! I love the fact that your design can be configured the way you like AND it's truly functional. Total props and if it's ever available, I'll start saving now for it!
Old 08-29-2016, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

The JK Safari with the doors, side panels and barn door upper removed. The c-pillars for the soft sides are in place behind the rear door openings, although I haven't gotten around to painting them Spice yet, they're still unfinished white fiberglass.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:10 PM
JK Super Freak

A few more.

The c-pillars (on a 2-dr these would be b-pillars ).

Old 08-29-2016, 04:10 PM
JK Super Freak

The c-pillars aren't required, they're just to provide a place to attach the front of the soft sides and a place for the door to seal against. Here's a few shots with the pillars removed.

Removing all of these parts has no effect on the load capacity of the roof rack - the roof rack is supported by the roll bars, so no weight is borne by the roof panel.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

This is awesome. I want to hack my hard top up in the worst way.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jscherb
The c-pillars aren't required, they're just to provide a place to attach the front of the soft sides and a place for the door to seal against. Here's a few shots with the pillars removed.

Removing all of these parts has no effect on the load capacity of the roof rack - the roof rack is supported by the roll bars, so no weight is borne by the roof panel.
Yeah, I really really would love this! Simply amazing..I'm hoping I'll see these available for order.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop