Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 10-11-2018, 03:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mdiacity
Hey jscherb...has there been any update for Morryde's Overland Rack? Initially I thought it would be out early summer but I can't find any new info or release dates.
They told me "this summer" too but I think we're past that . I haven't kept up with the status of this product so I just sent them an email asking about it. I'll post their response as soon as I get it.

I do know that they're showing it at the SEMA Show in a few weeks and the last I heard (about 6 weeks ago) engineering was done with it and it was ready for production but I don't know what the release date is. Hopefully will know later today and will let you know.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jscherb
They told me "this summer" too but I think we're past that . I haven't kept up with the status of this product so I just sent them an email asking about it. I'll post their response as soon as I get it.

I do know that they're showing it at the SEMA Show in a few weeks and the last I heard (about 6 weeks ago) engineering was done with it and it was ready for production but I don't know what the release date is. Hopefully will know later today and will let you know.
That was quick, I heard back from the company already. They tell me everything is good from an engineering standpoint and they're in the process of getting the first production run scheduled. Based on that I'd expect the rack to be available in November.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Related to the Overland Rack, I've been doing some designs for a startup company that's planning to launch itself in the Jeep market in the coming months. They're planning to do storage accessories custom-fit for the Jeep, in leather, high quality canvas and other quality fabrics. Since MORryde's release of the Overland Rack is imminent and I haven't been able to find any good weather-protection options for cargo stored on racks like the Overland Rack, I designed a bag for this new company. It's sized so it fits most popular tailgate racks (including others besides the MORryde rack). Here are a few photos of a prototype, it's sitting in a preproduction MORryde Overland Rack basket in the sewing room, it was more convenient to have the basket in the sewing room than to keep running out to the Jeep to test-fit things...

It's designed to fold up compactly so it can be stored in the Jeep when not in use, it'll easily fit under a seat.

This prototype is sewn in a coated Cordura nylon fabric that the military uses for gear bags and covers, it's highly water resistant and extremely strong. It's got 8 straps to secure it to a rack, and the straps are sewn all the way across the top for extra strength.

It turns out that two or perhaps three sizes of this bag will fit pretty much every tailgate rack on the market. I've turned over the design to this startup company and they're very interested in bringing it to market.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:38 PM
JK Super Freak

I installed the Overland Rack today; it needs to be on the Jeep for the SEMA Show in two weeks. I've posted photos of it before but this time it's got the new cargo bag on it...

Old 10-16-2018, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The rack is cool! With the 2dr I'm in need of storage moreover than the 4dr guys. The hinges have served me well so I bet it's a solid choice to go with the rack. Your cover is a great touch to 'finish' up the rear end and protect the cargo.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rack is listed on Morrydes site now but not for sale anywhere that I can see yet. Just installed the tire carrier pretty solid. The only issue I have now is that the stock arm that holds the door open somehow got out of wack and when I went to close the door I bent it into a U. I have since torn it off but now deciding on a replacement or if it makes more sense just to drill a hole in the hinge bracket and drop a pin in it when open.....
Old 10-17-2018, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jscherb do you have the rack weight by chance? Its always a balance when talking cargo space vs center of gravity. I have an interior rack right now and with the weight of that coupled with this new rack, gas water etc.. I think that might be pushing the off camber rock crawling limitations a bit.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rsbmg
The rack is listed on Morrydes site now but not for sale anywhere that I can see yet. Just installed the tire carrier pretty solid. The only issue I have now is that the stock arm that holds the door open somehow got out of wack and when I went to close the door I bent it into a U. I have since torn it off but now deciding on a replacement or if it makes more sense just to drill a hole in the hinge bracket and drop a pin in it when open.....
If you installed the tailgate reinforcement, there's a stop that has to be installed on one of the hinges to prevent the tailgate from opening too far and stressing the stay arm. Did you install the stop?

The stop looks like this:

And this is the section of the instructions that covers the stop:

Old 10-17-2018, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rsbmg
Jscherb do you have the rack weight by chance? Its always a balance when talking cargo space vs center of gravity. I have an interior rack right now and with the weight of that coupled with this new rack, gas water etc.. I think that might be pushing the off camber rock crawling limitations a bit.
The Overland Rack weighs roughly 40 pounds, I don't have the exact weight.
The following users liked this post:
rsbmg (10-22-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 12:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jscherb
I posted some photos of the testing of the fiberglass uppers on my friend Donny's Jeep a few weeks ago. I made a few minor tweaks to the fit and I can now call this project complete. A few photos of the completed fronts...

A view from the driver's seat:

I've been driving with them for about two weeks now, both around town and on the highway up to 75mph and I'm very happy with their performance. They're so much nicer than the factory soft uppers, and something I'd be happy using all year. I really need to get my own set of half doors now (or make some in fiberglass).
There it is!!! Some reasonably priced half doors is something that we've ALL needed ALL of our lives...

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop