Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 07-19-2018, 06:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

This is the finished set of "factory" fiberglass hard shell upper half doors - they are what I'm calling a "hard shell retrofit kit" - the inner shells and weatherstrip are Jeep factory parts; I removed the fabric skin and replaced it with a hard fiberglass outer skin and tinted slider windows. I've painted them "hardtop black", but being fiberglass they could be painted body color or any other color.

Since I don't have half doors, I can't test these on my Jeep. I've been searching for a set but haven't managed to buy any yet.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You may be the only guy on here with half door uppers and no half doors! Hahaha! Love looking at your projects. For real.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:33 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm in Florida visiting mom and every time I'm here I also visit with my friend Donny to talk Jeeps. Since Donny has half doors for his Jeep and I don't, I brought a pair of prototype fiberglass hard-shell half door uppers to try out.

In spite of the fact that I built these without owning half doors to test fit them on, they fit very well. There are a few very minor tweaks I can make to perfect the fit, but as they are they fit well, install just like the factory uppers and they were very quiet on a quick test drive we did.

I think they'd look great painted Gobi to match the body color of his Jeep; these are painted with MOPAR hardtop black to match a factory hardtop.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

What is that top?!
Old 09-14-2018, 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
What is that top?!
It's an Ursa Minor pop-top camper top.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What plugs did you use to build these resistor harnesses. I really don't want to splice into my harness to run led turn signals and would rather add something like this to it.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ZJG929
What plugs did you use to build these resistor harnesses. I really don't want to splice into my harness to run led turn signals and would rather add something like this to it.
I found them in my local u-pull junkyard. I think these came from a Dodge Challenger but I can't swear to that.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

I posted some photos of the testing of the fiberglass uppers on my friend Donny's Jeep a few weeks ago. I made a few minor tweaks to the fit and I can now call this project complete. A few photos of the completed fronts...

A view from the driver's seat:

I've been driving with them for about two weeks now, both around town and on the highway up to 75mph and I'm very happy with their performance. They're so much nicer than the factory soft uppers, and something I'd be happy using all year. I really need to get my own set of half doors now (or make some in fiberglass).
Old 10-10-2018, 04:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey jscherb...has there been any update for Morryde's Overland Rack? Initially I thought it would be out early summer but I can't find any new info or release dates.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like this one too because of the spacing of the headlights/turn signals. The others have the larger turn signals which seem too crowded to me.

Last edited by kklasman; 10-11-2018 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Add the image

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop