Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 10-17-2018, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I finally saw a Gr8tops Safari Top on a LJ today in Anchorage today.

Just a thought you could demo the Overland Rack by itself without a spare like the no spare rack you lined out for me. Since the MORryde system is so modular it could be configured with or without the spare.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Cutman
There it is!!! Some reasonably priced half doors is something that we've ALL needed ALL of our lives...
A company has contacted me several times wanting me to build the molds for fiberglass lower half doors so if I build them it's a pretty good bet they could make it to the market. Haven't decided if I want to do the project yet, I'm getting pretty tired of doing fiberglass work.

I've done most of the design work for the project, here are some of the features the doors would have... first, they would seal as well as the factory doors and could be used four seasons in all weather. Unlike other aftermarket half doors mine would include support for the "door ajar" feature. They would also optionally support power locks and power/heated mirrors (which even the factory half doors don't) - I figure since the fiberglass uppers I've already done make the half doors very close to full doors, the lower doors should also support the features of full doors. The doors would support factory uppers or optionally Bestop/Rugged Ridge uppers - they're not even close to as good as factory uppers for but budget-minded people might want to use them instead of the more expensive factory uppers. Styling would be different than the smooth-sided factory doors, if I go any further with the project I'll post concept drawings of the styling to get everyone's opinion.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The rack is cool! With the 2dr I'm in need of storage moreover than the 4dr guys. The hinges have served me well so I bet it's a solid choice to go with the rack. Your cover is a great touch to 'finish' up the rear end and protect the cargo.
I've been doing some design work for a startup company that plans to announce itself in the Jeep market in the coming months. They plan a line of storage accessories for the Jeep, mostly in fabric with leather accents and some in leather - they've noticed how all of the bags and other fabric storage accessories for the Jeep are done in cheap vinyl or fabric and they figure a higher-style/higher-quality line of products at an affordable price should have a good place in the market. I've shown them the design for the tailgate rack cargo bag and they're very interested in producing it. It turns out two or possibly 3 sizes of cargo bag can support all of the different brands of tailgate rack on the market, so stay tuned, maybe it'll be available sometime soon.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by akpostal
I finally saw a Gr8tops Safari Top on a LJ today in Anchorage today.
How come no photos of the Safari Cab?

Originally Posted by akpostal
Just a thought you could demo the Overland Rack by itself without a spare like the no spare rack you lined out for me. Since the MORryde system is so modular it could be configured with or without the spare.
Could, but since you're the only person I've known of that wanted that configuration, I don't know if it would be worthwhile demoing that for everyone else.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jscherb
How come no photos of the Safari Cab?
I was already turning by time I confirmed it was what it was. If I hadnt needed to be somewhere I would have creepy followed it.

Originally Posted by jscherb;
Could, but since you're the only person I've known of that wanted that configuration, I don't know if it would be worthwhile demoing that for everyone else.
Fair enough. I still think its a great idea, and it is damn convenient to have.

Old 06-19-2019, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a couple of sets of the OEM 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee roof racks. I put one on my in-work 2009 JKU OEM modular top. I mounted the rack rails to the underside of the top with stainless 1” fender washers and fasteners. I also have a 43K mile 2006 LJ Rubicon with OEM hardtop that the other OEM rack is slated or.

Question - Did you do the same mount setup I did or did you mount the rails with a strip of steel underneath to distribute the load? I used fender washers in the past on my CJ-7 with the Yakima rack and they were fine. I see you carry a few items on top of your JKU and on long highway trips, so I thought to ask to make sure I am OK with just using fender washers. I have some stock Al flat bar I can use, 1.25” wide if that is the best to use instead of fender washers? Thanks as always. Mark
Old 06-19-2019, 04:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Heater
I have a couple of sets of the OEM 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee roof racks. I put one on my in-work 2009 JKU OEM modular top. I mounted the rack rails to the underside of the top with stainless 1” fender washers and fasteners. I also have a 43K mile 2006 LJ Rubicon with OEM hardtop that the other OEM rack is slated or.

Question - Did you do the same mount setup I did or did you mount the rails with a strip of steel underneath to distribute the load? I used fender washers in the past on my CJ-7 with the Yakima rack and they were fine. I see you carry a few items on top of your JKU and on long highway trips, so I thought to ask to make sure I am OK with just using fender washers. I have some stock Al flat bar I can use, 1.25” wide if that is the best to use instead of fender washers? Thanks as always. Mark
Mark,
My racks are supported by the roll bars - I've got brackets that bolt to factory holes in the roll bars and holes through the hardtop so the rack rails can bolt to those brackets. By doing it that way, no weight is borne by the fiberglass hardtop, the roll bars carry all the weight.
Jeff
Old 06-19-2019, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jscherb
Mark,
My racks are supported by the roll bars - I've got brackets that bolt to factory holes in the roll bars and holes through the hardtop so the rack rails can bolt to those brackets. By doing it that way, no weight is borne by the fiberglass hardtop, the roll bars carry all the weight.
Jeff
Would you mind showing some pictures of it all? Thanks.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Heater
Would you mind showing some pictures of it all? Thanks.
What I've done isn't compatible with a factory hardtop and won't help you. You'd be better off looking at roll bar brackets for racks made for factory hardtops, like the Teraflex Nebo rack.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

Default Coolest thing I’ve ever seen

Hi Jscherb,
Did your modular safari hardtops ever make it into production, because I can’t find them on the internet.
I would love to get one!!!
If not, let’s go into business and produce these. I believe the market is there,
Thank You, Sisyphus

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop