Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 07-14-2016, 05:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

This morning I photographed the completed factory hardtop modular conversion. Unfortunately I don't have a 2dr JK to test it on, so we'll have to make do with driveway photos...

Fully assembled. If I didn't tell you it was the finished modular conversion you would probably think it's just any old factory top - the conversion doesn't really affect the outside looks:

Side panels removed. Now you can tell it's the modular conversion :

Since I don't have a 2dr JK to show it on, here's a sides-off concept:

A view from the inside - you can see where everything bolts together. The roll bars would block the view of most of the flanges when it's installed.

Disassembled:

All of the step-by-step instructions are written and photographed, as soon as I edit/check them one more time I'll post everything.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amazing work, wish I had your fab skills, very very well done.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by phoenix
Amazing work, wish I had your fab skills, very very well done.
Thank you. Converting a factory top to modular doesn't require intense fab skills, I designed the process and wrote the step-by-step instructions so almost anyone with a little DIY experience could successfully do the conversion. I'll probably get the instructions posted in the next day or two.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jscherb
And speaking of glass...

This morning I heard from the RV window company that'll be manufacturing the slider windows for the factory hardtop retrofit kit. Today's email included the final pricing for manufacturing the windows, and the price is almost 20% better than I had estimated it would be.

I'm still waiting on manufacturing pricing for the retrofit kit to install the windows in the factory hardtop; the company that will be making them has finished their engineering from my prototype, so I'm just waiting on their pricing people. When that price comes I'll probably have them make a few retrofit kits for testing, and once that's done the company that I did the project for can place the orders for the first production run and decide on the final retail pricing for the kit.

Update on the slider window retrofit kit for factory hardtops - the hardware company got back to me with the manufacturing pricing on the retrofit kit. The combination of windows + retrofit kit is slightly less than I was expecting, so the kit will be able to be priced very affordably - probably under $400 for the complete JKU kit with 2 slider windows, two retrofit kits and all the necessary hardware, weatherstrip, etc. I'm waiting on pre-production prototype retrofit kits to test to make sure the manufacturing company got it right, they tell me that should be early next week. Once I verify that they are correct, the kit can go to production.

And now that I've finished the modular work on the 2dr hardtop, I'll be using it for work on the 2dr retrofit kit, the first prototype will be for cargo hatches.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome, as usual!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

This morning I photographed the completed factory hardtop modular conversion. Unfortunately I don't have a 2dr JK to test it on, so we'll have to make do with driveway photos... Fully assembled. If I didn't tell you it was the finished modular conversion you would probably think it's just any old factory top - the conversion doesn't really affect the outside looks: Side panels removed. Now you can tell it's the modular conversion : Since I don't have a 2dr JK to show it on, here's a sides-off concept: A view from the inside - you can see where everything bolts together. The roll bars would block the view of most of the flanges when it's installed. Disassembled: All of the step-by-step instructions are written and photographed, as soon as I edit/check them one more time I'll post everything.
This is amazing! Great work, as always. Can't wait to see the instructions to see if I can do it. This option would really make going topless that much easier.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:26 PM
JK Super Freak

I posted the step-by-step instructions for the factory modular hardtop conversion here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...top-to-modular

Old 07-16-2016, 07:48 AM
JK Freak

I posted the step-by-step instructions for the factory modular hardtop conversion here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...top-to-modular
Thank you for taking the time to document this, these are awesome instructions!
Old 07-16-2016, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing work on the execution of this modular 2-dr hardtop, not to mention the detailed write-up and instructions. I have never done any fiberglass work, but your detailed instructions give me the confidence to give this a try. Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-19-2016, 11:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Since the hardtop shell I converted to modular doesn't have side windows, I've been thinking about doing another experiment - snap-in soft side windows. They could either be completely removed, or rolled up to provide lots of air to the back. I haven't finalized all the design details yet, but I'm thinking about doing that and sewing a pair for the modular hardtop. Something like this:

I've also got a preliminary design for snap-in hard windows, those and the soft windows above could cover all 4 seasons.

Here's what I'm thinking for weatherstripping the soft window and the hard window.

In this photo I've set some snap studs in place to check the clearances:

The soft window would be weatherstripped with Marine V-Seal foam from SailRite. It's designed to seal around snaps:

The hard window would be weatherstripped with a push-on trim seal like this sample on a small scrap of Lexan:

The trim seal for the hard window won't conflict with the snap-studs for the soft window, there's plenty of clearance between the stud and where the hard window weatherstrip needs to seal, which allows both soft and hard windows to be interchangeable. The hard window wouldn't use the snaps, it would be secured with latches from the inside.

The hard window would be Lexan, for two reasons - first, doing custom windows with compound curves would be cost-prohibitive, and second, Lexan windows wouldn't need any special care when they're removed, except perhaps putting them in a storage bag to prevent scratches, but you would be able to just throw them in the back of the Jeep in the bag without worrying about breakage like you would with glass windows.

It would also be possible to use the same push-on weatherstrip with the factory glass, but the problem would be finding a strong enough way to bond the latches to the glass.

A screened soft window to keep dogs in could be done the same as a clear vinyl soft window, just with fiberglass screen in place of the vinyl.

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop