Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Custom modular JK hardtop

Old 08-14-2016, 03:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by icrashbikes
Perfect, thank you! Also, The modular window/storage idea above is brilliant. It wouldn't take much depth to be useful, and there are so many applications. You could do a mesh cover for bringing wet, sandy swim trunk and towels home from the beach, have interior access for storage or a removable garbage receptacle, insulate it and have a cold beverage storage area.. Heck, you could put a monitor, dvd, game console etc for a rear passenger. Extra hard top mounted speakers. Exterior folding jump seats. Side mounted turret with ammo storage. The hot-swappable possibilities are endless!
I hadn't thought of some of those applications, thanks.

I'd like to make the molds for the compartment and make some prototypes in fiberglass as I've drawn them for the 2-dr hardtop, but I don't have a 2-dr so I'm thinking about making molds/prototypes for my JKU.

Last edited by jscherb; 08-14-2016 at 03:31 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:22 AM
JK Super Freak

I'll be installing the finished Safari Cab today.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jscherb
I'll be installing the finished Safari Cab today.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Installation in progress...

The upper jambs get installed first. These bolt into the same places that the soft top door surrounds do.

The side panels go on next. These bolt the to same holes in the tub that the hardtop does, plus one bolt at the top into the upper jambs.

Then the rear panel. This bolts to the back of the side panels. There will be two bolts into the tub on each side of the tailgate, those will be needed when running the soft side, but I haven't put those holes in yet.

The barn door upper attaches to the tailgate.

Might as well put the Safari tire cover on now too .

Finally the roof is lowered into place and bolted to the upper jambs, side panels and rear panel.

I've got a few final things I want to check and a few final tweaks to make, later this afternoon it'll come out of the garage for a test drive. More photos to come.

Last edited by jscherb; 08-15-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You probably already pointed this out, but how does the barn door upper attache to the tailgate? How "solid" is it?

I'm also curious on what you intend to do with this afterwards. I know you mentioned you weren't interested in turning this into a company (at least I though that's what you said). Is the plan to sell the designs and such to someone else to make? - The point being, how would someone else get their hands on one of these once you have worked out all the kinks?
Old 08-15-2016, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You really are transforming the look of the jeep, that's pretty neat. How does the barn door attach to the gate?
Old 08-15-2016, 02:19 PM
JK Super Freak

I haven't washed the Jeep or the hardtop yet, so both are a bit dusty and dirty in these photos, but it's all I had time for today.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:19 PM
JK Super Freak

A few more.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Some interior shots. Visibility is much improved from the factory hardtop - there's no wiper motor or third brake light in the rear view, and the Alpine windows add a lot of light to the interior. You can also see the insulated headliner in these views.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
You probably already pointed this out, but how does the barn door upper attache to the tailgate? How "solid" is it?
Originally Posted by karls10jk
How does the barn door attach to the gate?
The barn door upper bolts to "stakes" that are bolted to the tailgate. The stakes are attached with longer bolts through 4 of the spare carrier holes.

It's very sturdy, in this video I'm pushing very hard on the upper corner to close it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msT6Vn8GoGA

Quick Reply: Custom modular JK hardtop