Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!

Old 02-02-2012, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm loving this thread...reading it has helped me realize what I will be using my JK for!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RayHoliO

I'd consider AEV's new 2" coil lift (is it released yet?) Plenty of room for 35's...

I'm just starting my expo build on a new '12... and I really think I'm just going to use a spacer to account for my bumper and winch... then get some airbags for heavy loads / leveling.. I'll trim the sides out of my fender flares and put 33-34's on to get just a little more height.

I had the OME HD lift on my last one, and really came to hate the ride... not sure I want to trust a lift again... especially when the JK is already pretty darn tall from the factory. I've seen plenty of expeditions in VW bugs... don't think a stockish jk will have any problems.
I'm on 40s now; will never go below 37s. 4" coils will cover both.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Tsmith1362
I'm loving this thread...reading it has helped me realize what I will be using my JK for!
Yup. I feel revived in my Jeep, with the new, more expedition focus. I'm on Expedition Portal more and more each day.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Don't think its available til late summer but I still wanna know what the kit comes with and how much for the AEV 2" coil lift!
Old 02-02-2012, 07:46 AM
JK Freak

Fyi. AEV just joined Facebook yesterday. Give them a shout, and some love.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Probably a silly question and I'm in the market for a lift but what would be the ideal setup for an expo jeep? 33s or 35s? Lift size? Wanna make mine just in case capable but more so expedition ready! Thanks in advance.

By the way I love this thread, thanks for starting it!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:23 AM
JK Freak

My thoughts are: a good quality load carrying suspension and just enough to run 35s. Good catch-all usage/expedition setup.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jkfisher84
Probably a silly question and I'm in the market for a lift but what would be the ideal setup for an expo jeep? 33s or 35s? Lift size? Wanna make mine just in case capable but more so expedition ready! Thanks in advance.

By the way I love this thread, thanks for starting it!
Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker

expedition vehicles are built for long travel and reliability, go with parts u can easily find while on the road. big names usually have better warraties and lots of stock on hand. keeping ur jeep in stock form as much as possible will make ur life easier when something breaks. 32s and 33s are more than enuff and pretty standard and easy to find, 35s not so much. "i got a flat in the middle of nowhere and the closest tire repair shop is 200 miles away at Tom's garage." thats the real picture most lifts on an expo vehicle are to couter the extra weight of gear not so much for clearance. so u'll want to look at spring rates rather than height to support this extra weight - no reason why u cant have both tho
X2
I agree. You want to be able to service your vehicle anywhere you can so the more mods that fail the less likely you"ll be able to replace it.
Tire size really depends on where your goin! The guys that had two JKs and went around the world were running 37s. That doesn't mean you should. Like I said it depends on what type of terrain you have to deal with. Remember that the bigger tires the lower MPGs you will be getting and fuel is key when ur in remote areas.
Carrying spare parts like an air filter and other maintenance parts would be a must. Also tools. You will use them if the Jeep decides to take a break.

Overlanding and expedition is a lot of fun. If you have the luxury to go on a week + trip then you will defiantly know your vehicle well.
It's one thing to go rock crawling and weekend wheeling. But when your 1000+miles away from in a remote area with no service. The level of danger goes up to a very high level.

That's just my experience

Remember to carry extra fuel and a first aid kit is a must for any offroader
Old 02-02-2012, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Give me three days in the wilderness over playing on the rocks for a few hours any week of the year ...

NICE! Jealous of that trunk space, but I still like my 2 door
Old 02-02-2012, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well thanks for taking all the Productivity out of my day! Just read all 35 pages and great lookin rigs guys! Mark youve heard several times already but nice ride man! Down in south texas it takes me a day to get outta state, but id really like to visit some of the areas yall have been to.
I bought my rubi from a guy in kansas with 3"OME HD 35" cooper discoveries, air compressor, warn winch and lod front bumper, also thule crossbars on hardtop. I carry a mini sledge/axe and mini shovel. My plan is to save up for the AEV rear bumper/tire carrier with all options (5 gal water capacity,10gal fuel capacity, back up light, hi-lift mount) thats a pretty good base i think, going to do some homemade shade solutions and i usually have my tent in there. Still want a snorkel and the list goes on but heres a pic of the dd
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1917258930.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	273343   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3197636872.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	273344   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1575215817.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	273345  

Quick Reply: Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!