Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!

Old 02-03-2012, 06:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasTj
I am in the final stages of a build right now. After many years of rock crawling we sold our TJ and picked up a two door JK X in late 2006 (I know I know it is a 2007). My plan with this jeep was to have a nice capable jeep that could take two people and a dog into the backcountry for climbing trips. With this in mind I outfitted the jeep with a 2” Rubicon Express lift and 35 Pro Comp Xtream AT’s. It came stock with towing package, so we had the rare and sought after 4.10 from the factory, witch was a great option in my opinion. I also installed an AEV snorkel and used AEV’s ProCal to correct the computer. We ran with no back seat and had an ARB fridge on the inside and used a hitch mounted Cargo rack on the back of the jeep for over size items and our water jugs. In the front all I added was Pro Comp 7” driving light on the bumper. After playing around for a year with the bestop oversize tire carrier (Trash by the way) I got the AEV tire carrier by it self; not need for the bumper too; and that fixed that problem. OH and the Best mod on this jeep was the Sony screen so we could watch dvd's while we got rained out on a climbing trip in Mexico.
Attachment 273549Attachment 273551Attachment 273552Attachment 273553Attachment 273554

We had a lot of fun in our 2007, but this past summer my wife got pregnant and we needed something bigger. So after trying to sell it for a month I broke down and went in to try for a trade and you know what I got $17000 for it (just what I wanted to sell it for). We came home with a 2012 unlimited JK in Bright white with a hard top and 3.73 gear (just what I wanted). It also came with the connect package witch when we bought the jeep I could have done without, but now love!!!

From there the out fitting began. From AEV I ordered a 2” budget boost, premium front bumper, and a 2012 ready procal. From my buddy Shop in Austin I got a Warn VR8000, IPF 968 Driving Light, and a couple of other odds and ends. I also took of the AEV tire Carrier from my 07 to put on the new Jeep (sorry who ever bought it I set the Bestop in the best possible way for you). When it came to tire I went a little smaller than last time. The 35’s worked great for me with 4.10 and a 6 speed, but were a little over kill for my needs. With 3.73’s and an automatic in the new jeep I felt even with the new motor I would lose more power than the sweet look of 35’s were worth so on went some BFG AT’s in 33’s. Right now I am working on the internal storage options. We have the Fridge in the jeep and I have a Front Runner upright flat water tank (13.2 gallons) coming in. I’m looking to fabricate a barrier to keep gear behind hind the rear seat and keep the Dog and our new little adventurer safe from flying gear. Last I’ll be putting in Firestone ride-right air bag in the rear coils to finish the jeep off. Sorry I don’t have any pictures yet of the 2012 done. The best I can do is from a fly fishing trip from this fall with only 400 miles on the jeep to the Devils River.
[IMG] Devils River Texas Drive 2 by txjeep98, on Flickr[/IMG]
More to come!!!

Biggs
The pics of the mountains.....they aren't in TX. or MX......or are they?
Old 02-03-2012, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AK4Dave

The pics of the mountains.....they aren't in TX. or MX......or are they?
No Colorado and Wyoming, The first two are from Mex
Old 02-04-2012, 12:33 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent
I have a question, what armor would be advised for an overlanding type set-up? I'm def gonna get the evap (or relocate), but is there anything that would be necessary? I never plan on doing any rocks or the like, just trails, camping, forest roads, hunting (woods), etc.
What's been suggested. Plus relocate the steering stabilizer--wouldn't want to damage it trying to cross a log fallen on the road, or such. I also like the Rancho oil pan protection.

JeepSWAG SS Relocation Kit

Rancho Oil Pan Protection
Old 02-04-2012, 12:42 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
... I also like the Rancho oil pan protection. ...
I would like to add: Rip off your evaporative canister, and you drive home with an annoying dash light on. Rip off your oil pan--I think you get the idea.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I would like to add: Rip off your evaporative canister, and you drive home with an annoying dash light on. Rip off your oil pan--I think you get the idea.
Haha. Rip off evap canister and you can bungy cord it on. Oil pan not so much.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
Since some of you really went deep out of the roads, what maps did you use? Paper, computer or both?
I've been trying to get a topo map software that works with the GPS for city streets, no topo. Or, the topo ones require to download the maps to a portable GPS.
Any recommendations?

not sure if you were already helped but, I use a Garmin 60cs and garmin Oregon 450t. Load them up with basecamp and buy the garmin Western States 24k topo. It has everything you will see here in the WABDR or the OBDR.

We also carry the OOHVA maps, Delorne Gazeteer, and the Benchmark maps. Perfect for Oregon/WA backcountry over landing.

I also run a KLR 650 for over landing too.

Ps... Great to see all of the Sahara JKU's with quick discos and Airlockers! Yeeehaw!

2.5" TeraFlex, BFG MT's, SpiderTrax 1.5", completely underarmor/skids, Warn 8000, Mopar Fr/rr bumpers.

after doing the WABDR, I realized why guys don't go much higher than a 2.5" lift and keep their tires around 32-35". Distance, gas mileage, access to replacement tires (there are no mega 42"'s in BFE!), simplicity and lightness is certainly the key. Oh, and a great GPS!
no rooftop sleeper as I use a very small motorcycle/packable tent & sleeping bag. It's light and can be used on the KLR too. But then again, I'm not in Africa with crazy spiders & snakes. Perhaps sleeping on the ground isn't an option there!!!

note: the Yakima towers are attached to a rail system. The rails are around 4' long on the main part of the hard top and 18" long on the freedom panels.
The rails are supported by a custom fabbed beefy angle iron peice bolted underneath too.

Last edited by RescueGreen#3; 02-04-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cowboypunk
my jeep........
your jeep.............misbehaved! haha!
Old 02-04-2012, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

How durable are the Yakima Q-towers? Would it be durable enough to haul a canoe or two mountain bikes?
Old 02-04-2012, 12:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RescueGreen#3

not sure if you were already helped but, I use a Garmin 60cs and garmin Oregon 450t. Load them up with basecamp and buy the garmin Western States 24k topo. It has everything you will see here in the WABDR or the OBDR.

We also carry the OOHVA maps, Delorne Gazeteer, and the Benchmark maps. Perfect for Oregon/WA backcountry over landing.

I also run a KLR 650 for over landing too.

Ps... Great to see all of the Sahara JKU's with quick discos and Airlockers! Yeeehaw!

2.5" TeraFlex, BFG MT's, SpiderTrax 1.5", completely underarmor/skids, Warn 8000, Mopar Fr/rr bumpers.

after doing the WABDR, I realized why guys don't go much higher than a 2.5" lift and keep their tires around 32-35". Distance, gas mileage, access to replacement tires (there are no mega 42"'s in BFE!), simplicity and lightness is certainly the key. Oh, and a great GPS!
no rooftop sleeper as I use a very small motorcycle/packable tent & sleeping bag. It's light and can be used on the KLR too. But then again, I'm not in Africa with crazy spiders & snakes. Perhaps sleeping on the ground isn't an option!!!

Thanks much. I have a Garmin Vista HCx and the street and topo maps for it, but its screen is too small. Therefore, I've been looking for a PC-based for my UMPC running Windows, or an Android for my tablet. In this I have a bigger screen that is easier to read. I would then keep the little Vista as a backup.

The other maps you mentioned are also electronic or paper?
Old 02-04-2012, 12:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Taylor4x4
How durable are the Yakima Q-towers? Would it be durable enough to haul a canoe or two mountain bikes?
Not sure about the Yakima but the Thule are very tough. Have been using those for years.

Quick Reply: Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!