Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!

Old 12-20-2015, 09:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark Collins
..... We often build a sagebrush fire for cooking and the rack is a good place to put the firewood you gather if you have to get it far from your camp or lunch area.
Something to think about --

I do the best to leave no camping footprint. Part of it is leaving no fire mark.
A few years back I started using the Solo Stove Titan (2 of them for 4 people), and later added the larger Solo Stove Campfire. These are wood-gas stoves which create secondary burning.
Unlike open fire, they burn almost all the gas and smoke particles, resulting in very little smoke (when properly used) and in much more heat for the same amount of wood.
Let to burn all the way, there's some grey powder residue, which is minerals that are natural fertilizer for the bushes or trees around. Add a windshield, and enjoy a very effective cooker which leaves no mark it's been there.

The Ultimate Wood Burning Camp Stove | Solo Stove Campfire

The #1 Wood Burning Backpacking Stove by Solo Stove
Old 12-20-2015, 12:03 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Concur on the Leave No Trace sentiment. I like to use two metal oil drain pans. Turn one upside-down and place other on top. Burn to grey residue you can cast to wind, or place any well-soaked chunks in Trasharoo and haul out. Usable for Dutch Oven, too. Of course, some campsites have a fire ring, but it's always nice to leave it clean for the next occupants.

Regarding hauling firewood: Check local rules. Some areas require locally purchased wood be used to prevent transporting invasive insect species. They also discourage an old courtesy practice these days: Don't leave wood for the next occupants.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jzsquared
So I have finally made up my mind on tire size and installed them today. i went with 35s on my AEV lift leaving me 7" of garage clearance so I wanted to know some more about what people actually put up on a rack to help me determine if I want one. Now I must admit living in IL doesn't leave me a whole lot of areas to overland so it's mainly going to be a vacation rig. I have already done far more than I will ever use but hey I don't drink, gamble or otherwise spend money so this is my crack In all seriousness though what are some of the things a roof rack is used for. I definitly will not buy a RRT simply because that is just too much even for me because it would be stored off the rig 98% of the time. What else do y'all use a roof rack for?

I have a Gobi rack in Cary if you want to check it out. I use mine for kayaks, Sheetrock, wood, strollers, skis, large Home Depot purchases, etc.

I would like a RTT someday, but got the rack for other purposes.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Machoo
So I actually use the rack a lot for the insanely large stroller that my wife had to have! Haha.
Haha. Machoo. I love your reasoning you gave your wife for "needing" the rack
Old 12-20-2015, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just started watching Expedition Overland (Central America) on YouTube. I know they are not jeeps but those sure are some sweet looking 4runners!!! Anyone else watch that show? Those people seem legit. The Alaska/Yukon season was pretty darn good.

Cheers!
Dave
Old 12-21-2015, 04:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by horrocks007
I have a Gobi rack in Cary if you want to check it out. I use mine for kayaks, Sheetrock, wood, strollers, skis, large Home Depot purchases, etc.

I would like a RTT someday, but got the rack for other purposes.

I will ill have to take you up on that soon. I'll send you a PM later to set up a time
Old 12-21-2015, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Haha. Machoo. I love your reasoning you gave your wife for "needing" the rack[/QUOTE]

Wink wink!
Old 12-21-2015, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

personally, I do not want to climb up a ladder to go to sleep at night. I can see a reason for an RTT in the outback or in Africa, but not sure here in the US. At 57, I will keep sleeping on my nice air mattress.

I like what Mark has done in the back of his Jeep and plan to do something similar, but smaller draw so that the dog has a room back there. For the times I go with a friend or 2, I have a trailer and just added a roof top carrier to carry sleeping bags, and what else to keep the back of the Jeep clear. then cleaned up the front for water/gas tanks and propane.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1388 (1).jpg
Views:	445
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	632642
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1392.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	632643
Old 12-21-2015, 05:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by KiwiDave
Just started watching Expedition Overland (Central America) on YouTube. I know they are not jeeps but those sure are some sweet looking 4runners!!! Anyone else watch that show? Those people seem legit. The Alaska/Yukon season was pretty darn good. Cheers! Dave
Yeah, I watched the Alaska season a year ago and finished the Central America season last month. I was glad to see them add the new 4-Runners as I really like the new TRD PRO edition.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a M series trailer chasis down in my back garden, I plan on building that into a quazi xventure trailer. Using the shutts ideas for build. Save a bunch of money, have water, power, propane all built into the trailer. maybe put a RTT on that one.

Quick Reply: Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!