Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!

Old 05-29-2012, 04:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been bitten by the expedition bug too!

My days of rockcrawling were fun, but I like to have a destination and enjoy the view instead of just pounding the crap out of my rig for something to do.

Just ordered the Rugged Ridge snorkel and plan on a roof rack at some point down the trail.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JK side view2 Rt. 93 Mountain Trail.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	323255   Click image for larger version

Name:	JK corner view Rt. 93 Mountain Trail.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	323256   Click image for larger version

Name:	JK rear view Rt. 93 Mountain Trail.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	323257   Click image for larger version

Name:	JK front corner view Rt. 93 Mountain Trail.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	323258   Click image for larger version

Name:	JK side view Rt. 93 Mountain Trail.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	323259  

Old 05-29-2012, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raisinhead
I was curious what types of storage containers people are using on top of their roof racks? I just got my gobi rack recently, but my camping storage box that I used to take in the cab is kind of tall. I'd prefer low profile, waterproof/resistant, sturdy, etc. Post up ideas and pics if you got em. Thanks
Check out Rubbermaid Action Packers as well.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Raisinhead
I was curious what types of storage containers people are using on top of their roof racks? I just got my gobi rack recently, but my camping storage box that I used to take in the cab is kind of tall. I'd prefer low profile, waterproof/resistant, sturdy, etc. Post up ideas and pics if you got em. Thanks
I have the Sherpak bag, 15cubic feet, but it has compression straps to reduce its size if you don't fill it. It is the best of the bags I have ever used (borrowed or owned). Mine is a few years old now and been through some serious storms and everything stays dry. Plus since it is a bag, I can roll it up and keep it in the car or bring it in case I need it. REI sells them for $110. Well worth every penny. I am not a big fan of the hard cases because they are always there, versus only there when you need it, which for me is only a handful of times a year.

Sherpak Go! 15 Roof Bag - Free Shipping at REI.com
Old 05-29-2012, 08:04 PM
JK Freak

That looks awesome! I don't know if I want a hard case that I can leave packed, then just secure it in when I'm ready or one like that that I'll load up when I'm ready to head out.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Here are some more pics from the Ozarks Overland Trail ...

My Jeep found a cut-down tree poking out into the trail.
Where is the ozarks overland trail?? Missouri
Old 05-30-2012, 09:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by stinger25id
Arkansas. Did a random google search and came across his you tube video.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Default Getting Started

I'm going to move towards equipping my JK for expeditions. There won't be anyting serious to start but my first mod is this rear storage/ bunk area. I built it with cardboard for a template then found a local metal working shop to have it built. I was able to do it with one sheet of 4x8 of aluminum, which was the most expensive part of the project. I used 5052 series, 3/16. From the research I did that is one of the most rigid series that you can still bend at 90 degrees without it cracking.

I built it in two sections. The rear will stay in place virtually all the time, although I bolted it down using the existing tie down bolts near the front of that box section and on the side. The front piece is bolted to the rear and can be removed easily when I want to reinstall the rear seat. I am on an extended road trip now and wanted the extra space.

As you can see from the photos I left a few inches on the left side of the rear piece so I could have my bike inside and still be able to sleep on the rack. It's 37" wide and 5' long. When I want to lay out I move the front seats all the way forward, tilt the backs forward and have about 76" from the back glass to the rear of the front seats. That fits my 72" frame fine but I also have extra room as I lay in the middle and my feet basically go between the front seats. Yes, there is about a foot of space between the front of the rack and the back of the seats when they are forward, but I roll out a sleeping pad and it is supported on the center console which fits right up to the rack. Works out well.

I wrapped it all with carpet and glued it in place.

Overall I am happy with how it turned out. Total cost at the metal shop including the aluminum was $481.00. Another few dollars for carpeting and glue and I put the project costs at about $500.00.

Click image for larger version

Name:	R1.jpg
Views:	1224
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	324259Click image for larger version

Name:	B1.jpg
Views:	1144
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	324260Click image for larger version

Name:	B2.jpg
Views:	1141
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	324261Click image for larger version

Name:	R2.jpg
Views:	1169
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	324262Click image for larger version

Name:	R3.jpg
Views:	1240
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	324263
Old 06-01-2012, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2xplore
I'm going to move towards equipping my JK for expeditions. There won't be anyting serious to start but my first mod is this rear storage/ bunk area. I built it with cardboard for a template then found a local metal working shop to have it built. I was able to do it with one sheet of 4x8 of aluminum, which was the most expensive part of the project. I used 5052 series, 3/16. From the research I did that is one of the most rigid series that you can still bend at 90 degrees without it cracking.

I built it in two sections. The rear will stay in place virtually all the time, although I bolted it down using the existing tie down bolts near the front of that box section and on the side. The front piece is bolted to the rear and can be removed easily when I want to reinstall the rear seat. I am on an extended road trip now and wanted the extra space.

As you can see from the photos I left a few inches on the left side of the rear piece so I could have my bike inside and still be able to sleep on the rack. It's 37" wide and 5' long. When I want to lay out I move the front seats all the way forward, tilt the backs forward and have about 76" from the back glass to the rear of the front seats. That fits my 72" frame fine but I also have extra room as I lay in the middle and my feet basically go between the front seats. Yes, there is about a foot of space between the front of the rack and the back of the seats when they are forward, but I roll out a sleeping pad and it is supported on the center console which fits right up to the rack. Works out well.

I wrapped it all with carpet and glued it in place.

Overall I am happy with how it turned out. Total cost at the metal shop including the aluminum was $481.00. Another few dollars for carpeting and glue and I put the project costs at about $500.00.

Attachment 324259Attachment 324260Attachment 324261Attachment 324262Attachment 324263
Very nice setup. I love seeing custom stuff tailored to each person's needs. To be able to keep your bike inside and safe is great.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:25 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by stinger25id
Sorry for not answering this earlier--haven't been receiving any subscription update messages until today. :-( Anyway, you can view a map here:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213112259741365230624.00049b049b2ce62bc647 b&msa=0
Old 06-04-2012, 07:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JeepinJer

Very nice setup. I love seeing custom stuff tailored to each person's needs. To be able to keep your bike inside and safe is great.
Agreed. Nice setup.

Quick Reply: Expedition Modded Jeeps - Let's see 'em!!