Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Painting a JK Olive Drab

Old 02-16-2010, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kozz
MY WRANGLER JK RUBICON......
I like that a lot man, If I get a 2010 this summer I'm thinking of something like that if I get black or Jeep green or whatever the dark green is called now
Old 02-16-2010, 01:44 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by tommy35SS
I like that a lot man, If I get a 2010 this summer I'm thinking of something like that if I get black or Jeep green or whatever the dark green is called now
Welcome to the forum.

make sure to post pics of your JK whenever you get it
Old 02-16-2010, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That JK turned out great! Do you guys have any other projects in the works?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well... I just found this thread... better late than never. Been running this paint for some years myself... It's not a JK but I kind of like it!

JK's looking great!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	3.4 small.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	37435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side small.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	37436  
Old 06-02-2014, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

Default OD paint steps

Originally Posted by BBirish
Here are some shots of RubiConVict's JK which he decided to have ChevyM14 rattle can olive drab and it came out great. This is a work in progress and is going on day 3 of work, still to be added are military decals and finish up the doors.

Forum members involved:
RubiConVict
ChevyM14
BBirish
JK408
Racer83l

Attachment 21374

Attachment 21376

Attachment 21377

Attachment 21378
Hey, just saw,this thread after searching for OD jeeps. I was looking at the original crappy paint job done from the factory on my 08 wrangler. There are some spots around bolt heads where you can actually see primer. Looks like the paint booth guy was asleep on the job. I was also beginning to notice the various rust spots and under paint rust on the door hinges that are starting to form and p@;/ me off. I just mentioned to the wife I was thinking About painting the jeep OD and she said no problem! God love her.
Anyways, after a quick search I saw this thread, and was wondering if you could elaborate on the steps you did for the paint job.
-did you remove all the plastic (door panel bits, interior trim) seats etc?
-did you use a spray booth? I don't have access to one, but I do have a good sized garage
Did you use a primer?
-did you hand sand everything?
-I Checked the website for the paint, but they don't have any paint listed

Thanks
Old 06-02-2014, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geotechnical
Hey, just saw,this thread after searching for OD jeeps. I was looking at the original crappy paint job done from the factory on my 08 wrangler. There are some spots around bolt heads where you can actually see primer. Looks like the paint booth guy was asleep on the job. I was also beginning to notice the various rust spots and under paint rust on the door hinges that are starting to form and p@;/ me off. I just mentioned to the wife I was thinking About painting the jeep OD and she said no problem! God love her.
Anyways, after a quick search I saw this thread, and was wondering if you could elaborate on the steps you did for the paint job.
-did you remove all the plastic (door panel bits, interior trim) seats etc?
-did you use a spray booth? I don't have access to one, but I do have a good sized garage
Did you use a primer?
-did you hand sand everything?
-I Checked the website for the paint, but they don't have any paint listed

Thanks
Wow, old post. anyway,
we did remove almost all the plastic (it was a lot of work but not the seats, the inside was already bead lined)
did not use a spray booth, we did it with cans if you can believe that.
did not use a primer
had sanded everything
as for the paint, it looked great for about a year and then started to fade a good amount, he repined it camo (black, green, tan) for a year or two and then had it painted mat black. the camo looks really cool but will fade at some point (just look at old army trucks)
Old 10-03-2021, 10:20 PM
JK Newbie

Default Color code

Hello, do you guys happen to have the olive drap color code??
Old 10-04-2021, 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

In my time in the military I found that there were/are many shades of OD paint from a shade of almost brown to a forest green color.
This web site has the Federal Standard (FS) number for paint. Down toward the bottom is where most of the green OD is listed.
There are some also in other areas just look for green. Also the type of paint will effect the color a small amount, ie. gloss, satin or flat.

Federal Standard 595 Colors (dampney.com)

Quick Reply: Painting a JK Olive Drab