Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

U-Pol Raptor Bed Liner in tub - Shots - Notes - Reference Threads

Old 07-16-2012, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went though and added some descriptions to some of my earlier photos.

Originally Posted by chaz14_9
Thanks for this. After reading it I'm just gonna pay someone to do it. To much for just me
It's a good amount of work but I did this 100% by myself so it can be done.

Originally Posted by Stillmotion
Thanks. I just placed my order
That's cool. Good luck with the project.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:34 AM
jsl
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Thread, I really want to do this
Old 07-17-2012, 04:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

When you did the spraying, what did you have to use to get the gun connected to the compressor? The gun that came with mine has threads at the end where the connector for the compressor usually is?
Old 07-17-2012, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mfmclain
When you did the spraying, what did you have to use to get the gun connected to the compressor? The gun that came with mine has threads at the end where the connector for the compressor usually is?
It probably didnt come with a nipple/quick connect. Buy a package or just borrow one off another tool.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mfmclain
Originally Posted by crazymike
It probably didnt come with a nipple/quick connect. Buy a package or just borrow one off another tool.
My compressor hose has a quick disconnect so I went and bought a female quick connector nipple $1.58 @ Home Depot. You'll find them with the air tools. I was going to borrow one from one of my tools but those were all male connectors. On the picture below I bought the connector on the left (except female) for the gun because I have a quick disconnect like on the right on my hose. If you have another tool plugged in and cannot borrow the connector from it, then I would take it with you to make sure you get the right size (1/4" or 3/8"). It doesn't matter if you get zinc or brass. If your are going to leave the connector in the gun I would use some white thread tape, but you don't have to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	79e7f8bd-e205-41ae-94bb-f66cf7e0de2e_400.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	342195
It looks like below

Name:	PRG_BH3F.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	342380

Last edited by Rooster76; 07-17-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

How much did you use to do the tub?

I want to do my 4 door and tuffy lid

Eventually I would like to do my poison spyder bumper and possibly wheels.

Should I buy two kits? Or was there plenty left?
Old 07-20-2012, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I would say you will need to get more liner than just what's in the 4 bottle kit

Originally Posted by crazymike
How much did you use to do the tub?

I want to do my 4 door and tuffy lid

Eventually I would like to do my poison spyder bumper and possibly wheels.

Should I buy two kits? Or was there plenty left?
If you where going to do the wheels and bumper I would get more liner. I would think wheels would need about 2 bottles and a bumper maybe about 1/2 to 3/4 of a bottle (that would be 2 coats for each).

I have heard of people only using 3 bottles on a 2 door but it would be a really thin 2nd coat. The kit is advertised as doing 125 square feet for a standard 8' truck bed. With my 2 door I think I had just enough left (that I sprayed in the footwells) were I could have done an unlimited with 2 coats. An extra bottle would be nice to have for the 2nd coat. When I was spraying I was sort of shocked about how fast it went. 1 bottle will cover about half a 2dr Jeep solid without the paint under showing. After 2 bottles for the first coat I had almost all the paint area covered well. The only area were it was a bit thin was in the deep recesses of the driver side foot well. If I was to do it again I would have sprayed the foot-wells, deep under the center console, deep in the jack area, and a light coat around the rear seat mount first with some rustolum rattle can bed liner. I basically did that with the spray can stuff after the first coat.

The kit I got comes with 4 bottles of base and 1 liter of hardener and the sprayer from TP Tools and Equipment part ME-820. There is also some kits floating around that don't have the gun so you need to be careful. Those kits are cheaper so if they come with hardener too that might be the way to go if you want extra. I saw the no gun kit one on amazon

No tt LINK-> h__p://www.amazon.com/Raptor-Truck-Bed-Liner-Black/dp/B002ANVF5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342832620&sr=8-1

You can also get it by the bottle, but again remember you need 250ml (about a cup) of hardener per bottle.

NOTE: Honestly U-Pol doesn't make it easy to tell which kit has the gun and which doesn't. I would call up where ever you get it or at least make really sure the kit says it comes with the gun.

Last edited by Rooster76; 07-20-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Air Compressor Filter

It's a good idea to use an air compressor filter to catch dirt and water. You can get one for about $15 I just noticed I don't have one on my compressor .

Name:	2a066dbf-dc93-47e3-81a6-6176446e0f1f_300.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	348076
Old 08-01-2012, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I drove around without the floor mats today

I have been driving with the quadratec liners in the front (on top of tool drawer liner to stop them from slipping). With that set up I have had no problems with heat or slipping around.

I took the floor liners out today just to see what it's like without the floor mats. After driving for about an hour my feet started to get slightly warm. On a road trip I'm sure they would get pretty sweaty. It won't burn you hand touching the floor panels but it feels like you have the heater blowing on low. It's the worst right up by the gas pedal. It stays fairly warm where you rest your left foot. Under the front seats it's not really all that bad. It also was pretty warm where the rear heat goop was above the rear axle. It's not terrible but bad. If someone was riding with you I doubt they would notice toasty feet unless you pointed it out or they were barefoot.

To prevent this I have heard of a product called "Lizard Skin - Ceramic Insulation" that has an anti heat spray on product. I would use that or something like it before lining if no mats is one of your goals. It also comes in a sound dampening variety that I don't think you really need. I won't totally know about that until winter with the hard top on and window up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUN61EzFaRA EDIT Since posting this I found this quote from post->https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...1/#post3178556
Originally Posted by HLKSTER
Ty! Finally finished up the Lizard Skin today going to do a top coat of urethane tomorrow for some added protection and then move on to the top and doors.
And I talked with Paul (great guy) at Lizard Skin the ceramic coating is UV protected ! He also mentioned you really only want to use urethane as a top coat because putting another type of liner on top will encapsulate the heat and defeat the purpose of the ceramic liner.

PICTURE OF LIZARD SKIN

Here's a quick pic after two coats of sound control and two coats of ceramic liner
Another thing that I noticed is that because of some of the horizontal reinforcing ridges my left foot felt like it was slipping a bit with no mat. You can see the ridges in this picture below, they go across the floor and up the side. It make it where your foot is resting on these little ridges instead of being flat and having alot of traction. I've got running shoes with a good amount of tread and that doesn't help. The right foot felt really solid for what its worth.

Moral of the story is that your going to want some kind of mats most likely if you do this mod

Last edited by Rooster76; 09-19-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wonder how well this lizard skin stuff would work on the inside of people's hard tops for temperature regulation

Quick Reply: U-Pol Raptor Bed Liner in tub - Shots - Notes - Reference Threads