Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Am I the only one NOT filthy rich with a JK??

Old 06-22-2014, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patience! Mine's stock currently but I've got quite a long shopping list and many hours of research to do.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a cop...and lots of craiglisting and swapping stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-22-2014, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

I just bought my first jeep.08 Sahara...love it ! There's lots I'd like to do to mine...I'm not rich..I'm 47...drive a truck for a living....my kids are grown and living on there own....and I have 3 grandchildren to spoil..I realize it will take time to get to the end result of what I'd like but what a journey I'll have fixing it up little by little...
Old 06-22-2014, 03:15 PM
JK Junkie

I have a great gig that pays the bills, drive a 2012 JKUR and have some mods. But I hear ya. I met a guy a couple weeks ago that has about $100k tied up in his rig. I probably do more than most on mine, but I have no other toys other than guns, hiking and a mountain bike.

The way I see it. No motorcycle, no boat, no atv, no sxs. Just more I can do with my jeep.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am not rich but I am not poor. I have kid who just finished the first year of college so not a lot of spare cash.

Now my wife has a very simple rule. You want to spend more money, you need to work more. So if I want something for the Jeep I work a few extra days. That the bills get paid and the savings account stays the same.

I aslo dont buy stuff I don't need like fancy grab handles or LED light bars that I will truly never use.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:26 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 61jmullally
I feel like all I ever see are these guys with $30k+ of aftermarket gold put into their jeeps, hell, I'm in the Army, I don't make THAT much money! Are there any guys/gals out there with normal jobs who have jk unlimiteds?
Well I'm a 30 year construction worker so no I'm not rich. My money is spent on two things. My gym addiction and my jeep addiction. Both fun lol. What I have left I spoil the misses with lol
Old 06-22-2014, 03:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
1. Keep your vehicles for ten years minimum. 2. Never finance a vehicle. If you can't pay cash, you can't afford a new one. Keep your old one. 3. Invest the money you'd make in car payments into the stock market--VFINX. Don't fret over whether it is going up or down. Just make your monthly payment. 4. After five years minimum, buy a new vehicle for you or the wife--when the markets are strong. Take out the excess cash on occasion to buy Jeep parts. 5. Take time building your Jeep. You'll have ten years to work on it. And do the work yourself--not only to save money, but to gain valuable knowledge for when you have problems--whether on the trail or at the mall. Yes, there are certainly a few very well-paid people on this forum. And there are some fools who are financing their mods and living beyond their means. But the above let a retired GI--me--build the Jeep of his dreams ... and have a little extra to actually get out and use it ... Explore Your World: YouTube Link: http://youtu.be/0Yq51rHh8MY
Agree with this except the financing. If you can swing 0% or .9% I say go for it. Anything above that then try to pay cash.

Always try to use other people's money if they're giving it away.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:59 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
1. Keep your vehicles for ten years minimum. 2. Never finance a vehicle. If you can't pay cash, you can't afford a new one. Keep your old one. 3. Invest the money you'd make in car payments into the stock market--VFINX. Don't fret over whether it is going up or down. Just make your monthly payment. 4. After five years minimum, buy a new vehicle for you or the wife--when the markets are strong. Take out the excess cash on occasion to buy Jeep parts. 5. Take time building your Jeep. You'll have ten years to work on it. And do the work yourself--not only to save money, but to gain valuable knowledge for when you have problems--whether on the trail or at the mall. Yes, there are certainly a few very well-paid people on this forum. And there are some fools who are financing their mods and living beyond their means. But the above let a retired GI--me--build the Jeep of his dreams ... and have a little extra to actually get out and use it ... Explore Your World: YouTube Link: http://youtu.be/0Yq51rHh8MY
while you're at it, set aside 30% of the earned money for capital gains tax.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:57 PM
JK Junkie

I'm by no means rich as far as monetary value. I've been lucky on my build. I buy and sale things for profit and that allows me to fund my jeep project so hardly any money comes out our account. I will also trade things and get things off the forum or craigslist. So far by doing this I've managed to put on a $2500 lift for about $700. Now I'm just trying to save for my front bumper and winch.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just want to say THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE And OUR FREEDOM!! No matter matters what's on your jeep. Your cool!!

Quick Reply: Am I the only one NOT filthy rich with a JK??