Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Am I the only one NOT filthy rich with a JK??

Old 06-23-2014, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the feeling. I got mine back in September and like anyone have big plans of what I want to do. I was dead set I needed a lift 35's and new rims, but I've decided I'll be better off to do 33's with wheel spacers for now. I really want to change out the street tires that came on it. But eventually I'll do the rest. So I'm guessing for us regular folks it's prioritize and save. And lots of patience. Lol
Old 06-23-2014, 04:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The power of online image shaping is real. The numbers behind that image shaping often tell a different story.

Mark has some solid advice. Save money, pay off debts, invest where it helps your goals and meets your risk tolerance.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I assume that's political commentary, because no one pays 30% on long term capital gains (invested more than one year). Just for correctness, current tax rates for long term capital gains are 0, 10 and 15% maximum, unless you earn more than $400,000 and are single ($450,000 for couples filing jointly). Dividends, of which there will be some, are taxed at the taxpayer's earned income tax rate ("Ordinary" dividends), or at special, lower rates ("Qualified" dividends). You can expect to pay taxes (or report losses, which can reduce your taxes) every year, even in years you don't sell any holdings. That is one of the reasons I recommended VFINX: They have little turnover, so you don't report a lot of realized gains, thus deferring most of your tax payment until you actually sell. Let me make that clear: You are holding onto some of the government's take until you sell. During that holding period you are, hopefully, earning money on that money you are holding because it is still invested. Are you beginning to see why investing in the capital markets is such a huge boon, and why those who are rich do it? Reduced taxes. Deferred taxes. Making money on the money you owe the government. What's not to like? Oh, you could suffer losses. But the American markets are strong and the S&P 500 shows that better than any other index. Given time, you'll have a four out of five chance of making the most money in VFINX than if you invested in other choices--this has been clearly demonstrated over decades. That's pretty good odds.
already there, and pay the taxes accordingly.

Oh, and I've basically said f*** money a few years back. Life events does that to some people. Now, I enjoy what I can, when I can. You never know when it's your last.

With that said, enjoy your jeeps boys. You can't take it with you, or the money. If you raise your kids right, you won't have to set them up. Everyone else will survive without you when your gone. Live life with no regrets.

Last edited by Jeepstin12; 06-24-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In high school five out of my six friends had CJj's or YJ's. I was too poor to buy one. Back in the military, two of my buddies had totally stripped down TJ's and they would do a lot more than I ever imagined. I knew one day I would have one too, but I couldn't quite afford a decked out version with some goodies added.

I waited 15 or 20 years to finally buy my first Jeep. I knew that I would never be able to afford the mods to make it the way I wanted previously so I decided to wait. I waited long enough to afford whatever mods I wanted and it is less stressful plunking down some cash for parts. There is some great advice on here about waiting to buy parts, don't finance, don't use a credit card, and save first.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:29 AM
JK Newbie

My wife and I are not rich by California standards, but would be considered so in many parts of the U.S.. We have been quite frugal with our spending over the last 20 years. We do not live in a big house with a pool nor in an expensive neighborhood. In fact we live in a simple track home. We have NO sports cars, boat, water toys, RV, motorcycles, or airplane. We don't even go to the movies because its cheaper to wait a few months to see it on Netflix. But we do like to travel and see America and its back county. So yes, I invested a fair sum money into a nicely built up 13 JKU Sport done our way, for our needs, that is intended to last us 6-8 years of hard use.

So are we bad evil rich people for doing so. Heck we have worked our butts off in school and on the job to be able to do the things we can now in our early 40s. It may seem like money is handed out overnight but it's not, most have to work a long time for it.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

My wife and I are doing ok but are not rich by any standards, I am a service manager for a small Chrysler,dodge,jeep, ram dealership and my wife is a loan manager at a local credit union. We just purchased a new 14' JKU because I get a decent discount and we wave worked our butts off to get where we are at...we deserve a toy that we have wanted for a long time! You are not alone my friend...
Old 06-29-2014, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I live among those you are referring to, I spent the day yesterday after the Colombia/Uruguay game looking at brand new Maserattis (so?) online with my brother in law who just bought another brand new BMW and Landrover SUVs while he tells me about his friend who has spent more than my 2009 JKU did brand new in additions to a brand new JKU that is barely a month old. The thing is neither ever leave the pavement, ever! If I had to choose I would (and have actively selected) to be in the situation where living the life outdoors rather than dreaming about it. I certainly don't have anything more than a meager salary and my upgrades are scheduled to follow damage or failure rather than throwing a ton of money into something I never need. I haven't added anything that I personally haven't fabricated and on average costs less than $20-$30. Mine is paid off and the logic to apply what I would for payments makes most sense but for now I'm trying to get my wife out of debt who doesn't disdain debt as much as I do. Once that has happened (I have her scheduled to be out of debt within 2 years) I plan on applying that pay as you go mentality. I have worked and paid Social Security since I was ten. I worked full time while going to school full time while putting my wife through nursing school and hope to return and finish my degree which will most likely get me into a higher pay grade but even still I plan on investing that rather than spending it on unnecessary upgrades. That being say, thank you for your service, you are my hero!
Old 06-29-2014, 07:54 PM
JK Super Freak

electronic tech, tech degree is the highest education I have, 53yrs old, both kids are almost done with Collage, no loans there, house is almost paid... retirement funded max, and a good emergency account in the bank. Don't think I've ever paid a credit card fee, interest or card fee..... etc.
I have kept cars until they basically die (2011JK was one of the few that didn't die and was upgraded.... that was a painful decision but one I'm happy I made)

2013JKU 1.9% and I fund a Jeep account, with $50 a pay check... it adds up fast..
do most the work myself, some items I get my Jeep buddy to teach me how to do it..
build what you need and not what others have... you really don't need as much as some have.. build it to use it not for looks... IMO..

and thanks for you service.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:54 PM
JK Newbie

I don't know what you do in the Army, but don't leave without a skill that will pay dividends when you depart! My suggestion Is to focus on ways to get that money instead of ways to manage small amounts of money. The fields of study available to you at your fingertips will and could make lots of money! For instance I went to college forever after the military- enlisted SOF and then I figured let me get some education! Paid for by the G! I currently do well enough to have any configuration of JK. BUT I still only purchase what I will use but the key in the story is to focus on success however you define it and the money will come and this thread, for you at least: will be moot!
Old 07-09-2014, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have about $52K total in my rig including the price of the rubicon. I have been in the military for 15 years now and only have 1 car payment. Is all comes down to how you want to build your rig. I rolled almost all of the parts into the loan but installed myself. The price was comparable and I could buy a package deal with the vehicle I wanted. In the end, my jeep was built the way I wanted within the first 2 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1809737843.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	564341  

Quick Reply: Am I the only one NOT filthy rich with a JK??