Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Am I the only one NOT filthy rich with a JK??

Old 06-22-2014, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 61jmullally
I feel like all I ever see are these guys with $30k+ of aftermarket gold put into their jeeps, hell, I'm in the Army, I don't make THAT much money! Are there any guys/gals out there with normal jobs who have jk unlimiteds?
First, and most importantly, THANK YOU, for choosing to serve our country! I am a USAF vet (so is the wife, father and brother) and my son is in Navy boot camp as I write this.

Second, you are not the only one. My build is slow and steady. I bought my first Jeep in August of last year. I've spent a lot, but not as much as some have. I started simple, and splurged when the time was right.

You can do simple things like seat covers, grab handles, etc. Look for deals on wheels and used tires on the forum. Same thing for bumpers. You can find some used stuff that might need some touch up paint, or you can even go eBay for them. Might take some work to get them to fit just right, but they work. Same for an engine/tranny skid.

I bought my wheels, tires and bumper new. But I didn't do them all at the same time. I bought Bushwacker flat fender flares used (saved 50%). Just picked up a winch (Smittybilt) at a show.

I'm now looking to beef up the armor a bit - just ordered diff covers. Hope to add some lower control arm skids soon and maybe a transfer case skid.

Do it smart (pay CASH - never credit cards) and do it in your own time and in your own way.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that I am a little bit older I have more patience and am starting to think more long term. Sometimes it's more about the journey than the destination. If you were given your dream jeep today what mods would you have to look forward to tomorrow?
Old 06-22-2014, 08:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It has taken me 7 years to get my Jeep where it is now, and i'm completely pleased with it. And still there are small things i would like to change and add. Live in your means and do what makes you happy. You can't take the money with you when you go!
Old 06-23-2014, 12:51 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
while you're at it, set aside 30% of the earned money for capital gains tax.
I assume that's political commentary, because no one pays 30% on long term capital gains (invested more than one year). Just for correctness, current tax rates for long term capital gains are 0, 10 and 15% maximum, unless you earn more than $400,000 and are single ($450,000 for couples filing jointly). Dividends, of which there will be some, are taxed at the taxpayer's earned income tax rate ("Ordinary" dividends), or at special, lower rates ("Qualified" dividends). You can expect to pay taxes (or report losses, which can reduce your taxes) every year, even in years you don't sell any holdings. That is one of the reasons I recommended VFINX: They have little turnover, so you don't report a lot of realized gains, thus deferring most of your tax payment until you actually sell.

Let me make that clear: You are holding onto some of the government's take until you sell. During that holding period you are, hopefully, earning money on that money you are holding because it is still invested. Are you beginning to see why investing in the capital markets is such a huge boon, and why those who are rich do it? Reduced taxes. Deferred taxes. Making money on the money you owe the government. What's not to like? Oh, you could suffer losses. But the American markets are strong and the S&P 500 shows that better than any other index. Given time, you'll have a four out of five chance of making the most money in VFINX than if you invested in other choices--this has been clearly demonstrated over decades. That's pretty good odds.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some here brother. My pockets are so dry Im spending a few of my lunch breaks over the next few days building a spare tire carrier/spacer. All of that to save $50. I have time and access to the tools. What I don't have is the $$$$.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been spending all my extra money on my Lambo and got another Bentley for one of my mistresses, so building my new JKUR is gonna have to wait until my private island finally sells.

Seriously though, it is a bit sad to see the Wrangler evolve into a rich man's toy. Can't believe I just paid near $40K (after tax/licensing) for a jeep... and that's just to get it off the lot!

So far I'm happy with the rubi's stock setup but I can easily see how some folks get past $100K on their total price.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
1. Keep your vehicles for ten years minimum.

2. Never finance a vehicle. If you can't pay cash, you can't afford a new one. Keep your old one.

3. Invest the money you'd make in car payments into the stock market--VFINX. Don't fret over whether it is going up or down. Just make your monthly payment.

4. After five years minimum, buy a new vehicle for you or the wife--when the markets are strong. Take out the excess cash on occasion to buy Jeep parts.

5. Take time building your Jeep. You'll have ten years to work on it. And do the work yourself--not only to save money, but to gain valuable knowledge for when you have problems--whether on the trail or at the mall.

Yes, there are certainly a few very well-paid people on this forum. And there are some fools who are financing their mods and living beyond their means. But the above let a retired GI--me--build the Jeep of his dreams ... and have a little extra to actually get out and use it ...

Explore Your World: YouTube Link: http://youtu.be/0Yq51rHh8MY
I disagree with #2. We normally pay cash for everything, but there are sometimes better uses for your capital. I do not fit into the OP's bracket because my wife and I have a substantial combined yearly income. If you can finance for a low enough percentage than what your return on an investment of your money would be, just finance. Any purchase over $5,000, we discuss with our CPA that does our taxes and with the two different financial advisors that handle our investments.

Regarding a Jeep with mods done. I paid $32,500 for a used 2012 4 Door Rubicon Unlimited JK. It had 23k miles. I bought it fully loaded with heated leather seats, navigation, color matched hardtop & fenders and 6 speed transmission. I also bought the extended factory warranty through Chrysler. I looked for 6 months for a used Jeep with these specific items because I don't plan on wasting money on mods until the factory warranty runs out even though I can financially afford to anything I want to it including a supercharger or Hemi swap.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:58 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by wrubicon
I disagree with #2. ...
Please read it in the context of what I wrote:

Make the payments to your investment account. Where it will earn (on average) 9% per year (the long term average of the S&P as measured over decades). Take it out after you have enough to pay cash, and then pay cash. Play your cards right and you end up paying about half price for that new Jeep: A $40K Jeep (including financing costs) for $20K in investments.

If you want to borrow money to invest (a foolish thing for most people), then do it outright and take the tax write-off for investment loans. That works great if you're in the 36% tax bracket, not so well for those whom this thread is directed at: Mostly people in the 15% or 10% tax bracket.

EDIT: I want to add one other thing about borrowing money (even to buy a Jeep) so that you can invest. What's the purpose of the money that you're investing? What are you going to spend it on? A new vehicle should, of necessity, come after one has saved an emergency fund (six months of income is commonly recommended), and has taken care of their future retirement needs. So, the remaining money is saved to enjoy. If you're just saving money to accumulate it, then you've (and I'm writing the generic you here, so please no one take this as a personal assault) really missed an important part of life: Enjoying what you've reaped.

I have been fortunate to be able to retire--fully retire and not need to work any more--at the age of 50. Three of my four kids have graduated college, one is working on her PhD at Rice University in Applied Physics. I have done this by taking control of my own life and learning how the financial markets work (no professional advisors or CPAs ever hired--I even did my own business taxes after retiring from USAF). I am now 64, and I would say that I'm doing alright. Here's my life ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yq51rHh8MY And for those who think I got lucky and sold a business, making a mint: I did not. I closed shop up when I retired. Money has never held a great fascination for me. But having no debts, none at all, I can live quite well on what is relatively modest income. Without getting into details, let me just say that I will be glad this year to freeze my property taxes--which in OK means I earn less that $60K. Since I'm single with no dependents, I pay a somewhat heavy toll on most of my income--25% federal and 5% state marginal rate. That isn't a complaint. Just a statement of fact. I think I'm getting a bargain for the taxes I pay.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 06-23-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RubiKing
If you were given your dream jeep today what mods would you have to look forward to tomorrow?
Word.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:04 AM
JK Freak

I feel you some of the stuff people have in their jeeps is nuts. With that being said my 2012 I put a huge down payment from saving up over the years. Bought several things but never installed because I traded it in, since it had motor issues, for a 2014. Now I have my TLs and rigids installed. My buddy won the lift for me that's sitting at my house and I just purchased a bumper from a fellow forum member. I buy things when I can but it helps that I'm not house broke where all our money goes into a house we can't really afford I like to go and do things and don't need the biggest or nicest house. I also mow yards during the summer that helps with my jeep fund since I don't use my real job money. It's just a slow progress. My wife hates it since I stack up parts in the house then finally just spend a weekend putting on a lot of parts at once.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one NOT filthy rich with a JK??